.2 vs .4

HiraMahi

Gravity Guru
Hi folks, in my H&S evolution silverline two in one i have 2 kit, 0.2 and 0.4.

Normally it has to spray finer with .2, but why i spry more small with .4 kit?

The line with .2 is more large then the .4, but i dont know why.

I hope you understand what i mean.

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

0.2 left, .4 right... maibe...

3cb79262bfe681e2c653608e1c186862.jpg

the nozzle size is less important than trigger control and the paint you use not all paints will spray good trough a small nozzle like the 0.2 but perfect trough a 0.4 or bigger
I like small nozzles and I started out with a hp SB+ 0.2 nozzle but I use etac paints that paint works perfect with small nozzles and doesnt need any thining down not even with a 0.18 nozzle

the nozzle size is less important than trigger control and the paint you use not all paints will spray good trough a small nozzle like the 0.2 but perfect trough a 0.4 or bigger
I like small nozzles and I started out with a hp SB+ 0.2 nozzle but I use etac paints that paint works perfect with small nozzles and doesnt need any thining down not even with a 0.18 nozzle
I used it with hansa pro color, lot of people used this color with .15.

With .4 no problem, with .2 spry large and dashed if I go fast to make an end of line.

thin you paint down a bit more and use less pressure for the 0.2 nozzle , in this case you need to learn how to let the paint work for you .
the is no instant fix but trail and error till you find the right mixture for the paint and the right pressure .
I would start at 2.5 bar and turn it slowly down till it sprays just right as for the paint I would start with 1 part paint 5 parts reducer and start from there by either adding more reducer or less depending on the spray pattern.
just to give you an Idea my normal micron needs much less pressure then my HP SB+ and my HP SBS needs more pressure than the HP SB+ with the same paint in all 3 airbrushes

thin you paint down a bit more and use less pressure for the 0.2 nozzle , in this case you need to learn how to let the paint work for you .
the is no instant fix but trail and error till you find the right mixture for the paint and the right pressure .
I would start at 2.5 bar and turn it slowly down till it sprays just right as for the paint I would start with 1 part paint 5 parts reducer and start from there by either adding more reducer or less depending on the spray pattern.
just to give you an Idea my normal micron needs much less pressure then my HP SB+ and my HP SBS needs more pressure than the HP SB+ with the same paint in all 3 airbrushes
Thank you a lot for the info, tonight i try again!!! :)

You can not use the same mixtures for both setups. Thinner paint and lower air will produce finer and smoother lines with the 0.2.
Thank you a lot, i lear more in the forum then in the course...
After dinner i try again... :)

Post a photo and show us what you mean. 0.2 is more sensitive to the paint viscosity (reduction) and an possible blockages.

I'm gonna put this out there for what it is - you may just be better off using the .4 set up on your H&S for the time being. If you can get thinner, cleaner lines using it (right now), just stick with it. Spend the time working with this particular set up to learn consistent paint reduction, proper air pressure, and trigger control. You will only confuse issues more and more trying to switch back and forth. Spend like two weeks working with the set up, just the way it is. Clean only as much as it needs, which should really only be enough water and cleaner at the end of a session to run clear. Pull the needle and wipe it off at the end of a session. Put it back in, but maybe don't put it all the way forward till you are ready to use the brush again...

Once you have spent some time really getting to know the one set up, then you can start fooling around trying to figure the other one out a little - but, make sure you have a good grasp on what makes the .4 work well, before moving on...

Getting hung up on the numbers, like .2 or .4, and what we THINK they should do for us, isn't always a productive way to move forward. Some people produce much tighter details with a .35 set up than I can with a .18 :), so just work on getting to know what works BEST for you.

Last edited:
Today i make some more test.
I try test handa, createx and ferrario colors, with a few difference od diluition with the nozzle 0.2 and 0.4.

First question is: small nozzle (0.2) = lower pressure?

I make lot of test for the 0.2 nozzle but i cant find any good setup, with any colors/pressure/diluitions and they spry more large then 0.4 nozzle.

Do you have a tube that the second needle and air cap of the H&S came in? If yes, take the .2 nozzle, the .2 needle, and the .2 air cap and put them in the tube. Take a wrap of tape, and put it around the cap of the tube, so that it can not come off. Following so far?

Then, take the tube, and put it all the way in the back of your desk drawer, where it might be possible that if you do not see it for a few days, you might forget it is in there. :)

So, with that part of the equation out of the way - Lets get started with the .4 set up (and only the .4 set up). If I am guessing correctly, the Hansa paints are most like Golden Hi Flow. Lets just try this paint for a little while, and see where we can get. So, that is working with the .4 set up in the brush, and using only Hansa paint. Try setting your compressor at about 20psi, and starting with 3 or 4 drops of paint, and two drops of plain water in the brush. Mix with a small paint brush. Try shooting just onto a blank piece of scrap paper, and see what we have.

If the paint is hitting, and spreading out, turn your air pressure down a little. If it seems like the paint does not want to come out of the brush, turn your air pressure up a little. Work only with this set up. You may be able to use less water to reduce if you are still getting too much paint... Try this for a little while, just using one color, water, and air pressure. Black can sometimes be a hard color to use, so try a different color, maybe a nice blue, or something like that.

Different colors can many times require different reduction ratio's, and may spray differently than one another. So, avoid this problem by working with just one.

Lets see where you get doing just these simple things. If we can get any results that look OK, we can try adding another color or two. Once you get a good feeling for the paint reduction that works well, you will have a better feeling going forward...

I agree with Dave, get to know your brush with the larger needle first. You will be able to produce very fine lines with it when you get to know it really well, then when you get to your smaller needle, a little adjustment of air/paint/reduction ratios and you will be able to put all that experience into practice and push for even finer detail with the .2 set up.

I have the Iwata eclipse, and the Micron .23 brushes. I used the eclipse for a long time which is a .35, and I can get the same fine line with it as I can the micron. But when I started using the micron it all became much easier as I had learnt the properties of the paint and reduction on the larger brush. There's a video of a professional painter somewhere getting fine lines from a .5 brush. It's all about experience and knowing what your brush can do. Learn on the .4, push it to it's limits, then come back to the .2 and you will be able to get the best out of it.

Do you have a tube that the second needle and air cap of the H&S came in? If yes, take the .2 nozzle, the .2 needle, and the .2 air cap and put them in the tube. Take a wrap of tape, and put it around the cap of the tube, so that it can not come off. Following so far?

Then, take the tube, and put it all the way in the back of your desk drawer, where it might be possible that if you do not see it for a few days, you might forget it is in there. :)

So, with that part of the equation out of the way - Lets get started with the .4 set up (and only the .4 set up). If I am guessing correctly, the Hansa paints are most like Golden Hi Flow. Lets just try this paint for a little while, and see where we can get. So, that is working with the .4 set up in the brush, and using only Hansa paint. Try setting your compressor at about 20psi, and starting with 3 or 4 drops of paint, and two drops of plain water in the brush. Mix with a small paint brush. Try shooting just onto a blank piece of scrap paper, and see what we have.

If the paint is hitting, and spreading out, turn your air pressure down a little. If it seems like the paint does not want to come out of the brush, turn your air pressure up a little. Work only with this set up. You may be able to use less water to reduce if you are still getting too much paint... Try this for a little while, just using one color, water, and air pressure. Black can sometimes be a hard color to use, so try a different color, maybe a nice blue, or something like that.

Different colors can many times require different reduction ratio's, and may spray differently than one another. So, avoid this problem by working with just one.

Lets see where you get doing just these simple things. If we can get any results that look OK, we can try adding another color or two. Once you get a good feeling for the paint reduction that works well, you will have a better feeling going forward...

Thank ypu for the advice!!!
I try forget the 0.2 kit in the back of the desk... [emoji28] [emoji16] [emoji28]

Tonight i make some more test with your advice, thank you a lot. [emoji4]

I agree with Dave, get to know your brush with the larger needle first. You will be able to produce very fine lines with it when you get to know it really well, then when you get to your smaller needle, a little adjustment of air/paint/reduction ratios and you will be able to put all that experience into practice and push for even finer detail with the .2 set up.

I have the Iwata eclipse, and the Micron .23 brushes. I used the eclipse for a long time which is a .35, and I can get the same fine line with it as I can the micron. But when I started using the micron it all became much easier as I had learnt the properties of the paint and reduction on the larger brush. There's a video of a professional painter somewhere getting fine lines from a .5 brush. It's all about experience and knowing what your brush can do. Learn on the .4, push it to it's limits, then come back to the .2 and you will be able to get the best out of it.

Thank you Squishy for the answer.

I "try" go to the limit with the 0.4 size nozzle, and make lot of hour of pratice! [emoji4]

Dave i try 10 psi to 40, and with some % of diluition.

This is the result, but i think is bad...
Any more advice?

2b3af07b6b6783ecd933d9b9683e6016.jpg

c06d6343a1c576af67e16175090396fd.jpg

Back