For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

20 minute challenge

Discussion in 'The OC Challenge!' started by bex, Jul 25, 2016.

1. bex

bex Gravity Guru

right guys !!!!

this is your first reference picture..
    hopefully it makes challenges more clear..

the first challenge is an technique challenge,
    with a focus point of - DOTS.
    there are lots of ways to achieve these dots for the stars so depending on your level of painting have a play around with the different techniques.

so for this challenge..
    • you have 20 minutes only ..
    • after 20 minutes - you have to stop take a photo and post your progress.. (you can if you want finish the picture and post a finish picture too - but please post a 20 minute picture - regardless of progress to show what you achieved for the challenge.)
    • everyone paints this reference picture - but you can use your own style and techniques and artistic licence is allowed. if it helps think of it as if a customer turned up with this reference picture and asked for it painting :thumbsup:.
    • for this challenge the surface is your choice so use what you usually like to paint on ( could be t-shirt, metal panel, wood, plastic, paper its your choice on surface, :) size is also your choice for this challenge.
    • i suggest start on a black background colour ( painting a background isn't part of the 20 minutes) also might be useful to have the colours mixed (if using colours) and equipment ready, stencils and shields made and ready. it is 20 minutes of just actual painting..
    • the focus point is DOTS - try focus the 20 minutes on the focus point..
    • if you are:
    1. a dot newbie .. try focus only on your dot technique to get some of the stars in the right placement and practice stars of different size dots, dots are really important in airbrushing so this gives you a fun way to practice them and challenge yourself to do a load in 20 minutes :) and get some kind of picture appearing from them .
    2. getting more advance - try get some of the swirls and colours and the large central star with its fade out too..
    3. if you feel like a dot pro - go for a finished image - try for the perspective, dimensions, colours changes and wisps in the space cloud - try different techniques to get the dots, spatters, stippling, restricting air, stencils and shields etc, etc.. mention what you tried. .
    please don't forget to post up progress after 20 minutes it will be very helpful for everyone and yourself to see how a picture develops.

have fun! good luck..

space - stars (dots).jpg
  2. bex

bex Gravity Guru

i'm also going to be doing these challenges. and i'm looking forward to having something to keep me painting during the school holidays..

when you are ready to post your attempt post it in the comments below as:

20 minute challenge focus point - DOTS
    (+ a picture of the progress you achieve in 20 minutes)

thanks guys !! have fun! :)
  3. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Wahoo - I'm in... :)
    bex likes this.
  4. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

Have to do it when I get back from holiday as you say across the pond:D
    bex and markjthomson like this.
  5. markjthomson

Tough but here it is...

Attached Files:

Zotilraxx, jord001, bex and 1 other person like this.
  6. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Come on Mark, you know the forum rules..
    What did you do it on, with what weapon and what ammunition !!
    bex likes this.
  7. Cordyk

Cordyk Sheriff Woody (Admington) Admin

Well done @bex !
    Great start, I will join in the fun but off on my hols this week so will have to jump in later :thumbsup:.
  8. markjthomson

Oops, my faux-pa... some strange card I had lying around, golden high flow paint and the eclipse with the micron for the transparents.
    jord001, bex and JackEb like this.
  9. bex

bex Gravity Guru

im going to go paint mine today too i think :)
  10. bex

bex Gravity Guru

IMG_20160728_152033788.jpg IMG_20160728_152137332.jpg

this is my attempt at the first challenge of DOTs.

never painted a space scene before, i really enjoyed it though.. i think i will try finish it and probably look for a few more images to paint too.
    i actually really liked doing the dots for the stars. a few turned into lines as i was a bit slow off the trigger. i didnt like doing the colours for the coulds. the clouds i did by spraying through a torn piece of scouring pad (the same i use for all my clouds - all my clouds look the same lol) . the big star in the middle was a pain to do, also got a bit carried away with little stars around it so i made it bigger to swallow a few of my misakes up.. i tried a few different spatter /stippling techniques, turning the valve down on my airbrush, clamping the hose (was my favorite - though very random!)

paper use... a4 card - painted black and covering up my awful attempt at a portrait lol
    brush - badger Xtreme
    paints - inspire solvents black, white, candy - cherry, blue and fools gold. - didnt have a dark blue so the blue looks a little wishy-washy..
  11. markjthomson

Nice work Bex - it's a tricky one. I think next time I too would pre paint my background. I had to wait for some of the black to dry adequately to put the dots on!
  12. bex

bex Gravity Guru

it is definitely worth having everything prepared firsts and background colour on :):thumbsup:
    i made the mistake of doing the stars before the colours, then had to rush back over a load of them to make them back bright white again o_O as the candy colours on the clouds had turned them all pretty colours.. doh! :laugh:

as theres not so many interested or able to do these challenges at the moment - i will keep it at 1 a week for now, so next challenge is on monday! please, please join i what ever your level of airbrushing.

and anyone with a spare 20 minutes please give this challenge a go will be great to see what you can all do :)
    markjthomson likes this.
  13. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I'm currently 5pm on a Friday and can smell the weekend Bex, and one that's not going to be throwing torrents of rain or horizontal 90kph wind and rain so I might be able to get to the shed and get something done.
    I really really like the idea, I just don't have time during the week with a full time job.
  14. bex

bex Gravity Guru

theres no pressure for anyone to paint, the challenge is there for those who find that spare 20 minutes, i know life gets busy,so if you cant do it dont stress about it, just join in as and when you can.
    i am also finding it hard to find 20 minutes as i currently got the school holidays and 3 kids who are constantly bored and wanting to go places and do stuff, painting definitely has to take a back seat for 6 weeks. im pushing to do the 20 minutes a week other wise i really don't painting anything which isn't good for me or my art to have such a long brake.
    full time jobs are a killer for art work,they zap all your time, i remember having to work full time - use to come home and going out to paint was definitely the last thing on my mind so i sympathize, and that weather sounds really horrendous JackEb.. but if you do find a 20 minutes somewhere it will be really cool to see what you do and most importantly it is the weekend :D so enjoy! ;)
    JackEb likes this.
  15. bex

bex Gravity Guru

this is the second reference picture :
    static-hair(dagger strokes).jpg

focus point of : dagger strokes.
    seen as we have done dots it seems only right for the next challenge to be dagger strokes.
    please see the rules from the first post as they still apply, 20 minutes of paint time, try keep to the focus point and take a photo after 20 minutes, you can always finish the art work afterwards.
    you can paint it on any surface at any size you like , you can stick to monotone or add colour that is up to you.

for dagger beginners: ignore all the facial details and just create a shape for the head then use dagger strokes to create the hair . if you are more comfortable with dagger strokes then try to get some of the different directions in the strokes and the layers built up too adding to the tone and shadows and highlights. for those that have dagger stroke mastered see if you can get the rest of the image painted as well.

have fun, and look forward to seeing what you create. :)
    Zotilraxx and jord001 like this.
  16. markjthomson

The human dandelion!!
  17. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I've set my self my own personal twenty minute challenge for around 12:00 tomorrow, my challenge is to see if I can get my airbrush out of it's box, connected to the compressor and switched on in under twenty minutes, and I get bonus pints for not losing my temper while doing it, my previous personal best for performing the same task was three hours, twenty seven minutes and 13 seconds, I could have saved three seconds If I hadn't tripped over my hose, if I can successfully get the time down to 19 minutes I may use the other minute to do one of these strands of hair, or maybe not, probably take a minute to cut the frisket, that's if I can pull it off the neighbor's dog:):):)
    Susi, jord001, JackEb and 1 other person like this.
  18. markjthomson

Neighbours dog is good for de-tacking frisket... :)
    jord001 likes this.
  19. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I knew that, that's why it was there, but it's a Rottweiler and he makes strange noises when I try to get it back, he made the same noise when I tried to stop him peeing on my leg and I just said "well hurry up then" :confused::confused::confused:
    jord001 likes this.
  20. markjthomson

Eww... we had a local dog visit recently... he's never been back since I duct taped him to the pole...
    jord001 likes this.