For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

20 minute challenge

Discussion in 'The OC Challenge!' started by bex, Jul 25, 2016.

1. bex

bex Gravity Guru

give it a go malky even if it one hair - that one hair wouldn't have drawn that day, its something to give you a reson to paint, its trying a picture you probably wouldn't have attempted, its a stroke thats used in airbrushing a lot so even if it takes 20 minutes to do one - it is a good use of 20 minutes,.. and there will be an aspiring artist out there who can only do half a hair in that time so you will have inspired them .. is my positively and optimism today driving anyone mad yet lol!
    and im pretty sure even with your neighbors dogs help you can do more than one hair. lol:thumbsup:
  2. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I may have a go at your first challenge in the future, the space one but I work that slow that I don't get much done in twenty minutes, I was actually making fun of myself for that reason, lol, but today I'm on with a challenge not actually set out by someone else here but they did a special SBS for me so I feel obligated to give it a go, it isn't too complicated but will be time consuming, I don't wish to sat too much about it yet but it will become clear in the next couple of days, I had hoped tonight but I already made a boo boo with the choice of substrate so I started again:confused::confused::confused:

I just saw your comment/response to the realism thing on another thread and I compliment you, I found it very honest and informative, and also very much the truth, a very excellent response indeed:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
  3. bex

bex Gravity Guru

speed come with time. if you try a challenge its for yourself and not to compare with anyone else. so i only trying to say do what you can. 2o minutes is of painting time- so if it takes you 1 hour to mix your paint and have a fight with the neighbors dog that isnt counted:laugh::thumbsup: take all the time in the world for that. :)
    you can always after the 20 minutes and a quick photo carry on painting and seeing what you can achieve. but its up to you the references and challenges i am adding to help everyone the option is there. would be great to see some beginners and newbies join in. ( i dont know your level of painting btw im guessing from your responses that you are quite new - but i know that could be a wrong assumption from me so apologies if that is)

also another great way to challenge yourself is to redo something you did previously - i occasionally do this and its great to help you see how you have progressed..

me and realism have a hard time getting along - im not a realism artist at all so that is the area of painting that really frustrates me the most and is where i am out of my comfort zone. but i do think it is sometimes good to attempt that .
  4. Malky

I've been a newbie four the last four+years, lol

When you attempt realism you seem to be thinking more about what you've learned and trying to apply it, unfortunately it's a whole different ball game, a lot of it doesn't apply in realism or even semi-realism, so you just have to train your mind to forget all your old ways and view the experience as something new, and as many said in your thread in the subject, seriously reduced paint is the key.

Like you I can achieve more realism in a drawing than a painting, check this out, this is mine from a previous life and I fooled a few into thinking it was a painting, ;)

http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/monotone-self-portrait-contains-partial-nudity.15491/
  5. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

liking these so far. :) Really wanted to do the space pic, but didn't have a black surface, and am way too lazy to make one lol. But hope to join in at some point.
    markjthomson likes this.
  6. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Do the colours in negative... :)
    JackEb likes this.
  7. JackEb

JackEb Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Well, if you class yourself as a newbie, what does that make me ?! whats newer than a newbie.... ??

I will visit these challenges at some point in the not to distant future but I have a project I'm doing for a work colleague and its taking all my concentration at this point -
  8. Gore Hunter

Gore Hunter Gravity Guru

I see the 20 min challenge is more about finding those 20 min in your day than about painting hahah I might join one of these days, since this is a very good practice to get me out of my comfort zone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bex likes this.
  9. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Looks good and I think I have a book of black paper/ card so might have a go soon.

Lee
    bex likes this.
  10. bex

bex Gravity Guru

this is 2nd 20 minute challenge. focus point of daggers IMG_20160808_151120530.jpg i didnt get very far in 20 minutes i dont think lol. but it was fun and i will go back out and finish the piccy as it was quite useful to do all those daggers. though i was strugging with which direction to start from. i dont have a lot of colours at teh moment - so went for darker hair than the reference :) :p
    Malky likes this.
  11. bex

bex Gravity Guru

the third 20 minute challenge is : distressed tones.

I chose this photo as there are a lot of aged tones going on in it.
    if you feel like quite a a novice with how to create a weathered or distressed look, focus on one item only - skull, hourglass, candle, book they all have elements of distress ..
    for those more comfortable try different techniques to create those effect - tell everyone what you tried. :) for anyone feeling the can handle the whole picture try tie the picture together with tones and colours that match, get the lights and shadow and backgrounds .
    looking forward to this challenge myself as i really like this ref pic. :)

Skull ref pic (tone)jpg.jpg
  12. Malky

I have to say, I'm well impressed with that, I think to get anything at all in twenty minutes is quite an achievement but a result like this way beyond that, you took what you had an did your own thing and I personally think it has more character than the reference, the hair is cool and the eyes are to die for , now that you've shown it you should go to town on it and just make it totally yours, it well end up an amazing piece:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  13. bex

bex Gravity Guru

its hard to finish piece in 20 minutes - but from what i know from other groups that run these challenges is thats is the point, and it seems to work, it stops you getting stuck on one piece it makes you do something once a week and challenges you to get a little more done in that time scale.. ..for some reason i feel if i finish this its gonna look a little cartoony - coz i had Velma from scoody do stuck in my head whilst i was painting it lol so i cant get away from that image lol! faces arnt my favorite at all to airbrush but this was definitely great to practice daggers.