For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

20 minute daily challenge.

Discussion in 'The OC Challenge!' started by bex, Jul 14, 2016.

1. bex

bex Gravity Guru

hi guys,

in a pencil art group i am in we have been doing a 10 minute daily challenge.
    where a picture is posted and everyone who is involved spends 10 minutes only drawing it to their abilities and then post it.
    Along with the picture for that day is a description of what the artist has to focus on so for example : light/texture/shading etc etc..
    i tried to do the challenges with the airbrush but the timescale was way too short and some of the pictures were not as good references for airbrushing- but with some tweaking i think it would be a great personal challenge.

1 : it makes you go paint something everyday, and that everyday painting stuff helps get your hands muscle memory up and gets you in a daily painting routine if you dont have one already.
    2: any level painter can be involved as you are challenging yourself and yourself only
    3:helps build up speed of painting by focusing on one area for that day
    4:gives you a subject to go paint if you have an artist block when it comes to finding ref and practice pieces..
    5: its good to look at how others interpreted the challenge and how they used their time to focus on the task. it also shows you how painters of different abilities are working and building a picture..

the aim isnt to finish the picture (although it is sometimes possible if the reference photo is something you are use to painting or you are a quick painter) its to use the time to focus on the task set and applying it to a piece of work..
    its not about changing your unique style of painting you can paint in your usual style it just gives you an area of art to focus on.
    some of the tasks are really easy others are areas of work you might find more of a challenge. some of the reference photos will be stuff you really like painting and other days they will be something you might shy away from or not particularly have thought about painting before..
    it makes things really varied and creative..

if any ones interested please let me know and i'll grab some ideas, find some reference photos for us to use. whilst i wait for members to see this post i will work out a format for what to paint over the next days/weeks ready to add the challenges daily :thumbsup:..
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Nice concept Bex, sounds like a bit of fun as well as a challenge.
    Due to working full time and family stuff, I'd only be able to join in once every 13 days (roll on retirement !! )

Maybe extend the time to 20 min or half an hour rather than adjust the reference ?
    Just throwing ideas in the mix
    bex and markjthomson like this.
  3. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

That sounds fun... count me in... I think... :)
    bex, frowan and JackEb like this.
  4. bex

bex Gravity Guru

awesome. well maybe i will also start a list of people which want to do this challenge and i will send a PM to them so they have a way to find out what that days challenge was so if you are unable to paint it and add it to the mix when they have had time to do it. :) if you want me to add you to a list so i can pm you the challenges (makes them easier to find) let me know :)

i was also thinking with time zone differences as well it might get a bit hectic posting everyday especially if it takes someone in new zealand another 10-11 hours for their time zone to be online, so i might post them every other day or 3 days- would appreciate some thoughts on this??

as for time scale i just need to find one that works for the majority. the idea is you have enough time to get enough on paper and study that days focus point but its not about finishing it it actually works better if you haven't finished it as when the picture is posted for everyone to see you can see the building blocks or you yourself can look back on the building blocks of your picture..

20 minutes? - 30 minutes? i think both will work.. not sure if 30 minutes will make it too easy though.. :)

i found that if you dont want to leave a picture unfinished (some people don't like to leave half done work) you take a photo after the allotted time for posting - then if you really have to finish your work you can go on to finish it in your own time :)

20 minutes is of painting time; so you can get your paints/art stuff ready before hand- also pause the clock if you have a clog or air issues etc..
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    JackEb and markjthomson like this.
  5. markjthomson

Sounds good - don't stress about the date line.... we'll work it out... :)
    JackEb and bex like this.
  6. Cordyk

Cordyk Sheriff Woody (Admington) Admin

Hi @bex , i like it:thumbsup:. its a great little concept and well worth looking into, a 20 minute time frame would be good for airbrushing i think, as for the time zone difference just make it every two/three days and that should cover this big blue thing we all share!!.
    Lets see how much interest we get and also what @airbrushtutor mitchy poo's thinks of the idea, then we all can try to make it work, any new idea that makes you paint more and have fun at the same time as learning stuff is always great for the individual and the forum.
    Thanks for sharing your idea bex
  7. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

I agree with Kev , Great ideal
    frowan and markjthomson like this.
  8. Gore Hunter

Gore Hunter Needle-chuck Ninja

Sounds fun and interesting... count me in! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  9. Diegojavbau

Diegojavbau Air-Valve Autobot!

I need someting like this
    bex likes this.
  10. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

ok,
    I've had some time to think a bit more about this so here are my suggestions, and reasonings. (just my thoughts out loud..)

I'll start by saying I think this is a brilliant idea !!

suggestion: post up a new 20 minute challenge each week, same day each week - (not every few days)
    reason: a lot of members don't log in daily/have a lot of life to deal with and just cant paint everyday. for a lot of us this is an enjoyable hobby so a few hours on the weekend is the only time available for us.

suggestion: pick a day in your time zone that you know you will be able to post up the new challenge -
    Reason: the rest of us will 'learn' when to expect the new challenge and look out for it accordingly. if you try to figure out a day/time that will suit everyone you will give yourself a headache.

I really think that the members here will adhere to the time limit, we are an honest bunch lol
    bex, basepaint and markjthomson like this.
  11. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

I would be up to it once a week,still summer and a lot of work to do,mowing and all that:D
    bex likes this.
  12. bex

bex Gravity Guru

ok , morning everyone :) i have had chance to catch up with the posts now.
    replys to thoughts and questions:
    i think once a week will be too far apart for those who want to use the challenge to make themselves paint more. but agree once a day wont work on the world wide scale.. so how a bout an in the middle compromise of 3/4 days?

this gives those who can only paint once a week a chance to catch up :thumbsup:they can maybe do two themes on the days they can paint ??
    and for those who want to paint everyday they can maybe do either another pic within the theme or finish off the 20 minute picture over the next few days - hows this sound??
    and if like some members have pointed out and you know you will really struggle time wise, its not the end of the world if you cant do every challenge and maybe you can pick a favorite ref pic and the focus point you think you need to brush up on the most (out of the two that week) and just do the one that you can :thumbsup:

the time limit is there as a cut off point. being honest to yourself and others helps you and them larn from the stage you have gotten your picture to.. :) again - there is nothing stopping you finishing the picture off, just remember to snap a photo after the 20 minute.. :thumbsup:

i have made a list of challenges last night with a photo of choice i think would be a good reference pic - if an admin wants me to see them and check if its seems good idea that great :)

with a post every 3/4 days this will be a long running challenge but im happy to take it on as it helps me get out painting too, and will make me online more too which is great (if you can put up with me that is lol) how about i post a challenge on a monday and on thurday - im thinking if members make their posts similar to this :

20 minute challenge , picture 1 (****that days focus point****)
    and then add their picture .. underneath the picture you can always say a little about how you found this challenge too...

theres lots of challenges i have already come up with to start us off and if members have something in particular they want to focus on let me know i can add that as one of the challenges later in the timeline. :) . i have enough to keep us going for a few weeks as is though and im thinking of more all the time..

i have made some of the challenges airbrush specific and others are art specific..:thumbsup:

a little about the ref pics and how to interpret them :
    the ref pics are varied.. this is to try give everyone a little of somethings they enjoy drawing and somethings they might find out their comfort zone too..
    there are members at many different skill levels and i want it to be a useful challenge for both newbies, professionals and to all those in between alike. so i will try add some guidance info with reference pics, if you are a newbie i will point out a part of the picture to focus on, this is so you can then ignore the confusion or detail for the rest of the picture and this is how the challenge will help all levels. it will all make more sense when the first challenge is posted..

reference pics are open to interpretation, it will be great to see how you put your own stamp and style on them too. Artistic licence is encouraged too.:thumbsup:

any more thoughts let me know.. i will wait for an admin to tell me i can post the first challenge.. but i think its worth collecting willing participants first too. maybe adding the first challenge in a couple of weeks - hows the the 25th of July sound? thats in about 10 days time ...is that too far or too soon?
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    Zotilraxx likes this.
  13. markjthomson

Sounds all good lets see how it goes!! Well done Bex!
  14. airbrushtutor

airbrushtutor Love Spreading Overseer Admin

@Cordyk thanks for the tag bud :)

I think it's a great idea @bex, thanks for suggesting it. Let's kick it into gear - just see how it goes in terms of timing, whoever organises it may find it quickly overwhelming doing it every 3-4 days or even each week, but why not kick it into gear and see how it all goes :D

This needs a name aswell like 'the 15 minute sprint' or something more poetic and creative
    markjthomson likes this.
  15. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

How to Spread the love challenge :D:D
    markjthomson likes this.
  16. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Well @bex looks like you have yourself a job now ...:D Looking forward to the challenge.
    JackEb and markjthomson like this.
  17. bex

bex Gravity Guru

awesome. :) :thumbsup::laugh: thanks for the go-ahead guys :) and to Mitch and the admin team too for all the input and support on this idea.. poetic and creative name... ...gonna need more coffee to think of that :confused:;) .. anyones whos had coffee and has any ideas for a more creative challenge name - shout out now lol..!!!
  18. markjthomson

the 20 minutes to awesome challenge
    JackEb likes this.
  19. Cordyk

Cordyk Sheriff Woody (Admington) Admin

Bex to the future challenge!!!:laugh:
    markjthomson likes this.
  20. bex

bex Gravity Guru