For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

3D Printed Stencils

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by DannMarli, Mar 12, 2018.

?

Is there a market/interest in 3D printed stencils?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. DannMarli

DannMarli Young Tutorling

Hello!

I am new to airbrushing and I have been watching a lot of YouTube tutorial. I see that people are making their own stencils out of paper, etc. and a thought came to me. I have a 3D printer so I was wondering if anyone has made them with a 3D printer and how did it turn out? I also started thinking if there would be a market on like eBay or such for 3D printed stencils or custom stencils.

I know this looks spammy since it is my first post but I am just looking for feedback from the community if this would be something that may be of interest. Obviously the stencils would be for the smaller works (stencil size 8.5" x 11" or smaller) and not cars unless those dimensions fit the job.

Note: You may see this exact post on other airbrush forums, I am just looking for feedback from different groups.

Thanks for reading this!

Dan
  2. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

The answer is yes and no. Why 3d means height , wide and depth while more stencils are only 2d being most are on 5 mil or 10 mil mylar or other material.
    An example of what you can do with it may help form a more informed answer on this one.
    But making 3d items to be airbrushed I can see a market for being place like Coast Airbrush sell things like bowling pins , Fish and other items that are 3d to paint.
    Now how about a nice introduction in our introduction section found here: http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/
    jord001 likes this.
  3. DannMarli

Thanks for the reply and I posted my intro.

I was thinking a 3D printed template which would be like your traditional mylar/paper template, but can be reusable / durable and made with flexible material. It can also be made it a few layers thick 0.2 mm per layer x 3 layers for 0.6 mm thick.

You can also make full blown 3D stencils that can be like you said bowling pin shaped or something else I saw on eBay, stencils to personalize golf balls.
    jord001 likes this.
  4. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Hmm sound interesting , I suggest at least making up a sample to take a photo of and figure a price , You can also take to Russ Allen who does custom vinyl cut outs for people and talk pricing to see if it will make you money ,
    But it does sound like an interesting venture.
    jord001 likes this.
  5. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

I don't think it will work. It will use a lot of material and it will take a while to print. And then there is the edge issue. Unless you go with super tight layers you will get jagged edges. Laser cut is much faster. Where 3D print actually might work is with textures where precise edges are not needed.
  6. DannMarli

Material wise, its actually not that bad. I have attached a sample sliced image (designed something quick and random) that would get sent to the printer. The image is 150 mm (5") x 150 mm (5") x 0.6 mm (0.236") and it would only use 0.03 lbs of filament and the rolls are 2.2 lbs each so I would be able to get about 70 prints out of one roll. 3D printers create straight edges, if you have seen a 3D printer with jagged edges, then its probably a cheap kit or not calibrated correctly.

I totally agree that a laser cutter would be a lot faster, but I was thinking about using the tools I currently own without buying more equipment.

Attached Files:

7. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

Print it and lets see. That is the only way to know.
  8. DannMarli

Well, I found a YouTuber that just did this . I tried to add the video starting at the 3d printing part but doesn't look like it worked, you can skip to 5 min 03 seconds where the 3d printing starts to skip the rest of his fluff.

I can also make my own tonight to show my own work and the results in detail.

9. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2018
    doc1 likes this.
  10. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

Thanks Si, oddly enough i didnt get your 'tag' alert ?!?!
    SiRoxx likes this.
  11. SiRoxx

SiRoxx Party Boy UK Style Very Likeable!

That’s weir. Hey ho, I know you guys have a lot to keep up with, so figured I’d do my part lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JackEb likes this.