AA Candy 2.0 Red Oxide

RMAN

Young Tutorling
I've been using the candy 2.0 and paints for about 6 months now and have been very happy with them. So far I have tried 7 colors and feel that they match the color reference chart and video clips very accurately. Last week I purchased a bottle of the red oxide and it does not seem to look anything like the color reference. I have painted it over White and also aluminum base fine and medium. It looks like a dark brown color. It does not have even the slightest hint of red in it whatsoever. Is that normal? Maybe it's me but when I look at the color reference online it certainly looks like it should have red tint to it.

I've been using the candy 2.0 and paints for about 6 months now and have been very happy with them. So far I have tried 7 colors and feel that they match the color reference chart and video clips very accurately. Last week I purchased a bottle of the red oxide and it does not seem to look anything like the color reference. I have painted it over White and also aluminum base fine and medium. It looks like a dark brown color. It does not have even the slightest hint of red in it whatsoever. Is that normal? Maybe it's me but when I look at the color reference online it certainly looks like it should have red tint to it.

Red oxide as I know it is almost the colour of old rust or dark almost brown red brick, I think it's probably quite normal.

Video monitors can give a different look to a color and should not be used as a color match , Just as a printed picture may look different the it does in real life.
Red Oxide is a brown/red which depending on the MFG of the paint sometimes has a more brown look to it then a red look.
Most use red oxide as faux rust which is more brown with a slight red tint to it .

I have some of these colors. I have not tried them yet but have a couple questions. Do you use the 4012 reducer and 4030 intercoat clear with them?... and if so can you paint over them without the candy bleeding through?

reducer is fine with the 4030 intercoat. Seal your candy layer with 4030 before adding more colours if you don't want it to bleed :)

I haven't had a need to reduce them with the 4012. I only use the 4030 in them and they are thin enough for me to use with a .3 airbrush.

Right on, thanks for the hep! last shot at candy was a bad scene hahaha!

Back