For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Aa wicked Ci reducer

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by steve1111, Feb 28, 2017.

1. steve1111

steve1111 Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

So of late Iv been having trouble with the 4012 hp reducer separating my paint. What I mean once I mix the hp reducer the paint goes real grainy.
    So I tried a mix of isopropyl distilled water 4/1 4 parts water I part alcohol a few drops of glycerin.
    Let me say that I have never had the createx range paint spray better. Still get tip dry but nowhere near as bad and no more grainy paint woohoo.
    Anyone tried this mix before ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

This is the 2nd thread in the last few hours to mention using isopropyl alcohol as a reducer for paint....
    Isopropyl should NOT be spray through any device that causes atomization. It is not designed to be Used in this manner. Isopropyl alcohol poisoning g is a very real possibility. It can be absorbed through skin or inhalation... symptoms may seem minor but isopropyl poisoning is a slow process. If you wish to risk your health or any other living thing in the area then continue, but please refrain from suggesting a hazard practice is ok.

Only products designed to be atomised (sprayed through an airbrush ) should be used.

Sorry for sounding abrupt, but it is NOT ok to spray isopropyl alcohol
  3. steve1111

Oh excrement that I did not know thanks for the heads up jack will use it for cleaning. Guess I need to find another alternative to the hp reducer it's screwing up my paint big time

4. steve1111

Does the poisoning occur once inhaled? Just curious as it is used frequently on skin ?

5. JackEb

Symptoms can be headaches /nausea so those can be attributed to lots of other things aside from using it in an airbrush.
    As someone with COPD I get a little overprotective of this family when mention of chemicals being atomised that should never be done.
    Use it for cleaning but not for adding to paint and spraying.
    Maybe try letting the paint/reducer 'cook' together before spraying, it might help.
    Is it all colors or just one or two colors ?

Sorry, you posted while I was typing :)
    The rubbing alcohol isn't 'pure' so it's designed for rubbing into the skin, using in a spray bottle etc. airbrush atomization is a lot finer mist than a spray bottle, that's where the problems begin.
  6. steve1111

Ok cool I'll put it to the side. Yeah all the paint is doing the same thing. Thought it may of been old paint but got a few new bottle and still the same thing is happening. I'll mix some up and take s pic so everyone can see what I'm talking about

7. JackEb

I know other members have had similar issues with Createx reducers, I'll see what I can find..
  8. JackEb

What psi are you using? It may be to low for the paint. Which line of Createx are you using ?
  9. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

If all paint is doing it, then it could be a bad bottle of reducer. However, the time I had something similar happen to me (I can only describe it as being similar to when something is added in baking and causes the mixture to 'split') it was due to the paint, and I was told it was because it was exposed to either too hot or too cold temps through incorrect storage, (before it even reached me), and as it was a new bottle it was replaced no worries.

So just wondering, as you probably keep all your paint together, if it is possible that temp has affected it?

The easiest option is to try another reducer first. And if that doesn't work, contact createx.
  10. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Spider Splatterer

You have erased threads and posts now referring to IA like it's some sort of VX nerve agent when in fact many products have IA in them and are aerosols.

I did google searching on this and there is IA poisoning, but it's in large quantities.... like aspirin. Aspirin can kill you if you take a bunch of it. Water will kill you if you drink too much of it.

There are posts all over this forum of people talking about using Fantastik, window cleaners, and IA and glycerin to make varying concoctions of stuff.

Createx 4020 has acetone in it. Should we be breathing in acetone?
  11. Squishy

Leakyvalve, if a mod decides to remove, edit or speak to anyone regarding any thread, or post that is possibly, dangerous, misleading, offensive etc to other members, that is their prerogative.

Alarm bells were raised concerning the use of IA, and advice sought. Upon recommendation that in an atomised form it is has additional health risks as opposed to other uses, action was taken to prevent members taking unnecessary risk.

Your disagreement (and checking google is not a clear enough definitive when health is at stake) is your prerogative, but in the case of a mod acting in the best interests of members, that disagreement is irrelevant. I'm sure you would agree with the maxim better safe than sorry, and if you don't, and are angry at those that do, that is........worrying.

Your comments about the uses of aspirin etc are unnecessarily unhelpful. Of course people are aware of many dangers in the world, but they may not have been aware of this one.

On a personal note, I never recommend or condone any 'home brew' concoctions, and the only thing you are meant to breathe in is air, which is my masks, respirators and proper ventilation is advised for all products - and yes that includes 4020.

The fact that recent posts and messages that you are not privy to, show that people are unaware that use of IA in an atomised form is a danger, and precautions are not taken, justifies mod intervention.

Justification however is not needed. And neither is your attitude. If you dislike the running and management of the forum, that is also your prerogative - feel free to find another.

If you disagree with information and decisions, and can discuss them in a civil tone, please do. Fun, banter, sarcasm etc is a part of this forum Attitude isn't, especially where health is concerned.
    basepaint, JackEb and Malky like this.
  12. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Hi @Leakyvalve here is a link to the MSDS for IPA. https://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924412

The thread was deleted as the manufacturer of the paint in question explicitly stated the use of IPA was dangerous. To ensure others did not follow suit it was removed. The particular person who posted has little credibility in the group and their approach to spraying leaves a lot to be desired in terms of personal safety and the safety of others around. The last thing we want is a newbie taking his word as a good idea.

And regarding atomised acetone, find the MSDS and read what that says. The answer is no we shouldn't, that would be foolish indeed.
    JackEb likes this.
  13. steve1111

I thought the same a bad batch maybe but I now have new reducer new paint and still happens. Letting it cook for a bit doesn't change it. With regular reducer it's fine only happens with the hp reducer

14. steve1111

Guys I didn't want to start an argument. I tried it and it worked great but if it's recommended to to use it I'm happy to bin it or just use it as a cleaner. I trust the advice from everyone here, I'm no chemist thanks for the help and the heads up.

Squishy and markjthomson like this.
  15. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Very Likeable!

You didn't! :)
    Squishy and markjthomson like this.
  16. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

No it's not you Steve, like Malky said, you didn't start any argument. There was a separate thread that was being questioned, similar topic.
    Malky likes this.
  17. Squishy

Apologies Steve, that this overflowed onto your thread.

With regards to your problem, I've heard similar things occasionally, but not on the scale you seem to be experiencing. Did you buy your paint from the same vendor? At the same time? I'm wondering if they might be able to shed some light, or if there have been temperature issues somewhere along the line.

I would contact Createx and ask their opinion too. My bad bottle (moss green) was replaced by my vendor, (I believe at Createx request) but I have seen positive results from others before who have had questions and had product replace. My understanding from my vendor, is that they like to know to check for issues, work on development etc.

Don't have the details to hand, but its on the website. Send pics and numbers etc. Hope you get the issue resolved.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  18. JackEb

Sorry Steve, its not your thread that caused the debate.
    There seems to be thoughts amoung some that anything liquid can be blasted through an airbrush. This is not the case and health needs to be a huge consideration (yours and anything other living thing around) Because some liquids are common, like rubbing alcohol, its somehow deemed safe to be used in a manner that isn't mentioned in the 'directions for use' !
    Apologies if I came across as a little heavy, but there are a few of us here that get frustrated when people don't read directions on products or heed manufacturer recommendations.

lets see if we can get your 'grainy issue' resolved. :)
    What line of createx are you using,
    what ration of HP reducer/paint were you using
    what PSI are you using. ?
    Malky and markjthomson like this.
  19. JackEb

having a 'grainy' appearance is common if the paint is not being sufficiently reduced, (meaning it is too thick to atomize properly), or not operating the airbrush at a high enough pressure
  20. steve1111

I use the whole createx line. Never had issues before but suddenly the grainy business is happening. Thought it was my paint a a few of them are around 2 yrs old so I ordered some more reducer and a couple of bottle I use a lot of and the paint seems to seperate and clump. The more reducer I add the more noticeable it becomes , then it's strip the brush and clean. The paint literally goes grainy in the cup.
    I spray between 25 & 30 psi never had an issue till now :-( when I get home I'll mix a few colours take some pix and show you guys what I mean.