For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

AC100 surface cleaner

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Neural, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Neural

Neural Young Tutorling

Is there a product comparable to AC100 that is non-aerosol? Just looking to properly clean aluminum.

Also if there are potential alternatives in general household cleaners, I have a number of those I have access to as well.

Just looking to save a few $
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! Staff Member Mod

Are you looking to clean raw ali before putting on the primer? A good way to do it is simply water and scotchbrite. Green 3m (real scotchbrite not cheap imitation...). Scrub the ali with the scotchbrite until the water will form a smooth break free layer (so a smooth sheet of water with no beading water droplets) surface. Then you know it is grease free. Dry (either air or if you must wipe dry with a clean lint free rag) and spray!
  3. Neural

Neural Young Tutorling

Need to prep aluminum sheet for grinding, and then need to clean and prep it for painting. Scrubbing it with an abrasive pad for the latter stage would be a problem. :D
    markjthomson likes this.
  4. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! Staff Member Mod

OK so the initial prep like you say will be fine. All you need to do is use a degreaser to wipe it down. Of course, after grinding, spray it with water again, if it is breakfree, there is no grease. I expect a gallon can would be better value for money than a spray can. I've never seen degreaser in a spray can...
  5. Neural

Neural Young Tutorling

Sounds good to me. Thanks :)
    markjthomson likes this.