Acrylic Paint From Hobby Lobby

I picked up some acrylic paint from hobby lobby. Below is a link. Has anyone tried using these before? If so do you have any tips on making it flow well through an airbrush? How much did you dilute it? The reason I wanted to try this is because of the selection of colors they had available. Thanks for any advice.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-H...raft-Paints/Americana-Acrylic-Paint/p/PT50100
I use Folkart multi-surface, a lot (pretty similar). Somewhere between 50/50 and 75/25 paint to water.
The odd tick about folkart Multi-surface is that if you use actual reducers the dry time goes through the roof, but just water its fine.

Also keep in mind the majority of those craft type paints colors use a white or "neutral" base for opacity so mixing colors is going to work a little different

Thats what caught my attention actually. There were so many colors you would never need to mix anything.

Also keep in mind the majority of those craft type paints colors use a white or "neutral" base for opacity so mixing colors is going to work a little different

Main thing to watch out for is most craft paint is not color fast meaning the color can fade.

I believe the Americana has a high light fast ability to it
I couldnt find actual lightfastness ratings on americana except for their premium line......
Though as of late, other than the 50 cent stuff it seems the majority of what I've seen use all I or II rated pigments
Either way I like this this little tool...
https://decoart.com/resources/Americana_Shading_And_Highlighting_Chart.pdf

And the fact that they keep a rolling list of how to mix their discontinued colors.

Though it's another nail in the coffin towards my major use use of wicked. So many things that most paint manufacturers do that createx just doesnt.

If I could just find a multi-surface that doesnt lift when a solvent clear goes over it I may have to give up on wicked for the most part. ( not saying they all do or dont, just in my limited experiments with that so far I have experienced some lifting/wrinkling and have yet to work out which ones do or dont)

Last edited:
I’ve never tried them, we definitely miss out on some options here in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pigment size is the issue with cheap paints. With big nozzles is should be okay. No amount of reduction will change the size of the pigment.

Pigment size is the issue with cheap paints. With big nozzles is should be okay. No amount of reduction will change the size of the pigment.
Sometimes, depends on what you get.
Pigment grind on the folkart is a little finer than wicked. Americana is an analog. Its not bottom dollar apple barrel.
Shoots through my .2 at least as reliably as wicked color if not more so.

I use to use it way back when painting models, they are an amazing paints, one of the best, and they have an amazing range of colors, I put water in the cup and add paint with the brush soaked in it, until I liked the coverage, my airbrush in that days was the Talon with 0.38 nozzle. And I finished them in the body with PPG 2k Clear, and they looks awesome till now, they never faded away the colors.
Hopes that help u!!

Back