acrylic vs solvent white

Thank you guys! I'll try to put new pics during the whole paint process.
And Mr. Micron, i realy want to try the w500 and w100 mix. Thank you for the tips!

Thank you guys! I'll try to put new pics during the whole paint process.
And Mr. Micron, i realy want to try the w500 and w100 mix. Thank you for the tips!

I look forward to seeing this one as you progress, The concept painting sitting on top is killer and look forward to seeing who you transfer it to the fairing.
Once you mix the two I think you will start liking shooting white ...At least I know it has made me shooting white a lot better.

OK, just order a bottle of 16oz W500 reducer in the USA. I'am sure that it will arrive here in Quebec totally frozen but i assume that's not like paint. If i let it ''de-frozen'', probably it will not have any problem....anyways, i hop...

OK, just order a bottle of 16oz W500 reducer in the USA. I'am sure that it will arrive here in Quebec totally frozen but i assume that's not like paint. If i let it ''de-frozen'', probably it will not have any problem....anyways, i hop...

I do not think it will be frozen But it will thaw out and be just fine.
I do look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it performs for you.

Finaly Herb, the humidity in my shop is not 57% but 47%. I think it's a littlt on the low range.

Finaly Herb, the humidity in my shop is not 57% but 47%. I think it's a littlt on the low range.

yes you at least want 55% humidity , But with electric heat you pretty much would have to buy a humidifier to get more humidity in the air.

yes you at least want 55% humidity , But with electric heat you pretty much would have to buy a humidifier to get more humidity in the air.

An open container with water in it as close to the heat source as possible will raise the humidity significantly.

We may call that a "Redneck Humidifier" lol

An open container with water in it as close to the heat source as possible will raise the humidity significantly.

We may call that a "Redneck Humidifier" lol

I finally g ot around to reading this thread and as soon as humidity was mentioned with the electric heater I though HEEEY I know what you can do......and madbrush beats me to it - not only rednecks :) we had a cast iron kettle above our nightly fire in our house when I was growing up. I can still remember the sound i the water hissing and sizzling when it sometimes splashed over :)

I would love to know what the humidity changes to of you put that bowl of water near your heater Triumph :)

I just finished reading this thread, and had a question about white paint on a black base (if Herb will let me ask;)). First, let me say that I'm using etac efx white on cold pressed illustration board with an Iwata hp-c plus. Although it is an opaque white, it seems like I have to build a lot of layers to get it to be 'white' white. First question... is that normal? Seems like it takes way too long to get the bright white I would like, and yes, that is straight out of the bottle with a couple drops of condition air. I never really have issues with the tip dry, but coverage. Does the wicked opaque white cover better, or better yet, which white will give me the best coverage? Maybe I'm just too impatient. Are there any good videos that address this issue? Thanks in advance for any help-

I finally g ot around to reading this thread and as soon as humidity was mentioned with the electric heater I though HEEEY I know what you can do......and madbrush beats me to it - not only rednecks :) we had a cast iron kettle above our nightly fire in our house when I was growing up. I can still remember the sound i the water hissing and sizzling when it sometimes splashed over :)

I would love to know what the humidity changes to of you put that bowl of water near your heater Triumph :)

LOL, Iv'e been plagued with lung issues for years and lived in a house with all electric heating at one point, so my doctor ordered me to do that, without that I would never have thought of it, lol

@ Rados - sorry dude, I don't know enough about whites - lets hope someone else that does sees your question :)
I will say though that reducing an opaque white will make it semi transparent (I think) therefore yes, it is probably normal to have to build your layers of white to get good coverage.

LOL, Iv'e been plagued with lung issues for years and lived in a house with all electric heating at one point, so my doctor ordered me to do that, without that I would never have thought of it, lol
Being in the greenhouse industry - and especially with one strange orchid farmer - I have to be thinking humidity quite often :)

I just finished reading this thread, and had a question about white paint on a black base (if Herb will let me ask;)). First, let me say that I'm using etac efx white on cold pressed illustration board with an Iwata hp-c plus. Although it is an opaque white, it seems like I have to build a lot of layers to get it to be 'white' white. First question... is that normal? Seems like it takes way too long to get the bright white I would like, and yes, that is straight out of the bottle with a couple drops of condition air. I never really have issues with the tip dry, but coverage. Does the wicked opaque white cover better, or better yet, which white will give me the best coverage? Maybe I'm just too impatient. Are there any good videos that address this issue? Thanks in advance for any help-

http://www.airbrushforum.org/color-world/4492-what-blue-shift.html have a look at this link . When you spray white over black paint you will get a blue shift , which means it iwll tak more white to get white.

So i'll have to raise my humidity... don't want to buy an humidifier. I'll try a recipient with water in it, but if it's not sit on a realy hot heating source, not sure that the water will raise the humidity in my shop...... If the w500 reduce my problem in half, i'll be realy happy..

put the water in a steel container very close, it should work. since you have a hygrometer, do some tests :)

put the water in a steel container very close, it should work. since you have a hygrometer, do some tests :)

I have eletronic thermostat and the heater don't come realy hot. I'll buy an hygrometer, it's $70 at Home Hardware. A cold mist of water just during i'am in my shop should be ok

Dry tip. Might I suggest adding more reducer to help eliminate the dry tip. Try for a paint consistency of milk. Reducer/paint ratios are starting points anyway not absolutes. The trade off is you may have to build up your layers more to get your white just right.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this already, but instead of using an airbrush - if you're looking just to lay down a straight base of white, then a touch up gun or equivalent will serve nicely. Touch up guns have a much larger tip and are more suited for laying down bases. I can't recommend them enough i'd recommend people get a touch up gun in place of a second airbrush :)

Back