adding a tank to compressor

J

Jezurus

Been looking through the forums for info and did some searches, can anyone point me to a thread on adding a air tank to a compressor?? Thanks all!

Basicallly, all you need is a feed line from the air output on the compressor, a connector that has 1 inlet on one side and an outlet on the other on the tank, [ looks like a T-piece] and you're good to go.
Pretty much anything that holds compressed air / gas / liguid will do the trick.
I've even heard of old scuba tanks being used - so long as they're still in test.
On the outlet line you'll add things like water-traps, regulators and safety release valves - but make sure they are easily reachable.
It'll save you time and grief later if you need to replace anything.

Basicallly, all you need is a feed line from the air output on the compressor, a connector that has 1 inlet on one side and an outlet on the other on the tank, [ looks like a T-piece] and you're good to go.
Pretty much anything that holds compressed air / gas / liguid will do the trick.
I've even heard of old scuba tanks being used - so long as they're still in test.
On the outlet line you'll add things like water-traps, regulators and safety release valves - but make sure they are easily reachable.
It'll save you time and grief later if you need to replace anything.
Cool! Thanks!

Exactly ; it took me a while to figure out that the white plastic thing on the middle of the electric wire, are for your compressor. By this plug mains are put on and off to the compressor to start it when low preasure and stop it when the preasure reached high. Just the cost for the auto switch and the preasure valve justify this smart solution that make many simple continious compressors into what would othervise be a fairly expensive airbrush compressor.

What I mean is, that you don't just buy a tank but also get all the other pieces that are required.

If this one is totally self-made, you also should invest in a pressure release valve.
This is meant to release the air if the pressure switch is ever overridden and the pressure exceeds the tank's safe capacity.
Just another safety device, but very necessary.
In my case, the original compressor had a cheap 12 volt DC motor running it, was as noisy as hell and took about 3 mins to fill a small tank.
When the solenoid crapped out, I removed the motor totally and replaced it with an old 'fridge compressor, but retained everything else.
The only hassle I had was that I had to extend the baseplate to accomodate the size of the compressor motor.
Makes it a little unwieldy, but still easily transportable.
In my set-up I've added a small settling tank, about 2 ltrs, to eliminate the flutter I was getting from the original motor.

Back