Additive percentages

N

Neural

Disclaimer: I'm going to use mL here because 100 divides easily, these are not necessarily actual amounts that I intend to use)

The chart says:
10-30% 4030 adhesion promoter
10% 4012 Reducer.

Which of the following is accurate (assuming 20mL of 4030, cause it's in the middle:

A: for 100mL of paint, I add 20mL of 4030, and then add 10mL of 4012?

or

B: for 100mL of paint, I add 20mL of 4030, and then add 12mL of 4012?

(the difference being that 12mL is 10% of the total weight of the paint plus the 4030).

Also, whichever answer it is, is this the industry standard?

this is one of those questions that appears from time to time. There is a LOT of confusion over the whole 'by volume' that is quoted on the createx website
https://createxcolors.com/pdf/auto-air-illustration-wicked-hard-surface-application-guide_030118.pdf

my interpretation is if i want a total volume of 100ml then i will mix 80ml of paint with 20ml of additive and sufficient reducer to spray well.
If you were painting a whole car then your ratio's would be more critical. I normally just add a few drops of colour to the cup then add sufficient reducer to get it spraying in that sweet spot for the PSI that i am using at that point in time.
with the 4030 i normally go with the 25% of what i have in the cup, so if i have put 16 drops of paint in the cup, i'll add 4 drops of 4030, then add reducer if needed, and only enough to get that sweet spot.
Personally i prefer a 'ratio/parts ' terminology eg 1:2 or 1 part paint:2 part reducer
its much easier to understand
I'd love to hear from others that are more knowledgeable on this question as to what their interpretation is.

this is one of those questions that appears from time to time. There is a LOT of confusion over the whole 'by volume' that is quoted on the createx website
https://createxcolors.com/pdf/auto-air-illustration-wicked-hard-surface-application-guide_030118.pdf

my interpretation is if i want a total volume of 100ml then i will mix 80ml of paint with 20ml of additive and sufficient reducer to spray well.
If you were painting a whole car then your ratio's would be more critical. I normally just add a few drops of colour to the cup then add sufficient reducer to get it spraying in that sweet spot for the PSI that i am using at that point in time.
with the 4030 i normally go with the 25% of what i have in the cup, so if i have put 16 drops of paint in the cup, i'll add 4 drops of 4030, then add reducer if needed, and only enough to get that sweet spot.
Personally i prefer a 'ratio/parts ' terminology eg 1:2 or 1 part paint:2 part reducer
its much easier to understand
I'd love to hear from others that are more knowledgeable on this question as to what their interpretation is.
Completely agree with Jackie. I posted a very similar question a little while ago.
Quoting in Parts is much easier to understand. But what I’ve come to realise is that the more I paint the less I worry about the quoted %’s. For Candy 2o I mix up about 1ml of 4030 with 4ml of Candy 2o, then reduce. I don’t know how much reducer as I go by test spraying. I’ll add some reducer, give it a try and add more if I can’t get a consistent line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back