advice for newbie

T

ticomic

Hi. I am a retired hobbyist with no air brush experience. I do make jewelry for fun and have a steady hand. Would a Master G444 be a good buy because of 3 the different tip sizes ? Prices are much higher here in Canada for the same products so big-name brushes might not be the best idea for a rookie. I am wary of cheap no-name kits because of parts availability. I assume TCP Global must have parts available ? Thanks for your time. Greetings from Northern Québec. Send us some heat.

If you are in Canada then @Maple Art will be able to give you some guidance. (i'm sure she will pop in shortly)
I'm sure if you give her your budget then she can advise accordingly. there are things that you don't want to penny pinch on and a good quality entry level brush is one of them.

traditional 'beginner kits' are pretty much rubbish.

If you are in Canada then @Maple Art will be able to give you some guidance. (i'm sure she will pop in shortly)
I'm sure if you give her your budget then she can advise accordingly. there are things that you don't want to penny pinch on and a good quality entry level brush is one of them.

traditional 'beginner kits' are pretty much rubbish.
Thank you. I'll check her site out.

Hi. I am a retired hobbyist with no air brush experience. I do make jewelry for fun and have a steady hand. Would a Master G444 be a good buy because of 3 the different tip sizes ? Prices are much higher here in Canada for the same products so big-name brushes might not be the best idea for a rookie. I am wary of cheap no-name kits because of parts availability. I assume TCP Global must have parts available ? Thanks for your time. Greetings from Northern Québec. Send us some heat.

I have a good many airbrushes, which will include the Master G44/G444 and up to some of the top of the line name brand brushes. I would not recommend the G44 or G444 brush from TCP Global. While TCP Global does say that they have replacement parts, what they do is sell the parts as a kit bundled with other things you will not want, or need. I found the brush to be seriously lacking in quality, and I could not get it to work acceptably for more than just a few minutes, despite a concerted effort on my part.

Now, you may take it that I am just diss'ing the inexpensive import, but I assure you that is NOT the case. I have many other Chinese brushes, some of which I would recommend highly! I have one that looks almost identical to the Master G444 (and is less expensive to boot), even came with the different heads ( the G444 only comes with nozzles and air caps to change sizes -along with needles). The other one I purchased (for $25US) came with full head assemblies as well as needles. Build quality of the good one is night and day different than the Master G444

The PZ360 kit ($25US) is on the left, and the Master G444 ($39US) on the right -
duo-in-cases1.jpg

I would not use the Master brush to water my plants, while the PZ is part of my regular inventory of brushes that I use. Trust me, while they look almost the same, the two brushes above have nothing in common, other than a similar thread size on the head assemblies - virtually every other part is different - some by little, some by a lot! Now, I am not real sure I would recommend the PZ360 right out of the box either. The reason being, it is what it is, and if you need replacement parts there would be no guarantee you could get them, or that the brush would work the same once you did. At $25us for the kit, I personally would just buy a new brush and be done with it.

Purchasing any of the brushes in this range (while I have a good quantity of them and feel they work really quite well) you are really taking your chances, and will largely be on your own after purchase should you have problems with it.

I would think, that if you are looking for a name brand brush, that will have at least some sort of backing - the Badger line of brushes may be your best bet to get your feet wet (their support is excellent).

Last edited:
I'M a badger guy and will tell you to consider them. Whatever you do, get a name brand, like badger or iwata. Shop around for deals.

@DaveG do you have a link to the preferred brush ?

I have purchased them through several vendors, under different names, so it is a bit confusing...

this is one place I ordered several different brushes from - the thing to look for here will be a brush with a red o-ring that separates the body and handle, the frosted rear handle - the "kit" does not seem to be listed at present... http://stores.ebay.com/Professional...8541014&_sid=1010499124&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

This place usually has the same brushes, but at slightly higher prices, the kit seems to be out of stock right now... https://www.elmbay.com/dual-action-airbrush-gun-kit-with-3-tips-and-mac-valve/

this brush is made by the same factory - but, I do not have this one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gravity-Fee...481102?hash=item3f6c09300e:g:eAkAAOSwmfhX7YER

I have 4 of these purchased under different names, but same brush - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Hobby-D...70fb313&pid=100040&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=272395481102

I checked an Amazon site (Mix Wholesale) I have ordered from, and they too are out of stock - guess I should have been quiet about them, huh?
Same brushes can also be found as "Royalmax" - but are generally $5 to $10 more.

I can not say it enough - the ONLY brushes I would recommend are the brushes that have a red o-ring between body and handle (usually accompanied by a part that has serrations around the circumference), frosted rear handle (vs shinny and smooth) and round trigger top with radial grooves (vs flat top with straight lines cut across).

Last edited:

Hi and Welcome !- Although the pricing that we see on websites from our neighbours down south appear to be less expensive, you can often pay double or more by the time it arrives at your door . You have to consider exchange rates and depending on how you make that purchase credit card/pay pal they all charge at least 2% (or more) for what they like to call an "exchange rate fee" this is not including additional border costs, Brokerage and Duty add additional costs to your seemingly "inexpensive" purchase. You also will have to pay GST/PST can't get away from that even on US purchases, it's the same thing that I run into when importing my supplies from our neighbours down south. Although if purchasing through Maple I am only required to charge Quebec residents GST and not the blended tax GST/PST so there is a savings there.

Suddenly your "less expensive" cross border purchase is considerably more then what you would pay by purchasing from a Canadian business, sucks I know :( . I could tell you stories I have heard from people cross border shopping. Also consider customer service and support and availability of replacement parts not having to wait weeks for order stuck at the border because customs has decided they need to see what you are buying.

If you choose to purchase through Maple or not I am here to support you in your journey into airbrushing and you have already found a great resource and people here on this forum.

Before I can recommend an alternative for you what are you planning on airbrushing? Where do you see your airbrush journey taking you ? Helmet Painting/ bikes / t-shirt or textile painting ? or are you looking for personal enjoyment a hobby? and of course a budget,let me see what I can do for you. You can contact me @ mapleairbrush@icloud.com my website is noted in my signature line.

Thanks guys for tagging me :)

If you choose to purchase through Maple or not I am here to support you in your journey into airbrushing and you have already found a great resource and people here on this forum.

Thanks guys for tagging me :)

Anytime @Maple Art
I'd buy from you based on that one statement alone - I'd support a business that was willing to support EVERYONE, not just existing / potential consumers . . . . . that's some seriously awesome Public relations at work right there ! Most business would push you out the door if you started a conversation with 'I didn't buy this here but can you help'

Anytime @Maple Art
I'd buy from you based on that one statement alone - I'd support a business that was willing to support EVERYONE, not just existing / potential consumers . . . . . that's some seriously awesome Public relations at work right there ! Most business would push you out the door if you started a conversation with 'I didn't buy this here but can you help'

Thanks :) Maple was started because I just wanted to help and support the community. For me it's about meeting new artists making amazing friends. and just helping. Thats what I like to do... ;)

Thanks :) Maple was started because I just wanted to help and support the community. For me it's about meeting new artists making amazing friends. and just helping. Thats what I like to do... ;)

Good for you !! there should be more enthusiastic retailers like yourself, instead of all the money hungry, throw me your wallet and leave mentalities that seem to prevail

Back