Advice needed please

S

Shane1971

Hi.
As im new to Airbrush I've decided to try and do this portrait of an Aboriginal man.
I have ordered Trident Core 4 paint set and I was thinking of doing this painting on MDF primed with Gesso.
2018-03-25-09-29-26.jpg2018-03-25-10-05-19-1.jpg

With your history of spray painting and colour matching you have a major advantage over most of us, so a core trident kit should suit you fine.

As for creating texture/effects I suggest you trawl through the Step by Step it the Works in progress sections and get an idea on how to do things. It’s not hard once you get started.
As for tools.
Scalpel or hobby blade (there is a technique to it)
A sharpened wooden dowel works well on non porous surface.
A fiberglass pencil 4mm or 2mm - often used for cleaning electronics
Hard & soft pencil style erasers
Fine automotive grade steel wool

Lots of options for tools,
Look at things around the house/shed that you can spray through to get a bit of texture happening EG: green scourer, pulled apart to make it thinner. Dryer sheets give great texture too.

Find a few things to practise ‘texturing’ with before jumping straight into this picture

With your history of spray painting and colour matching you have a major advantage over most of us, so a core trident kit should suit you fine.

As for creating texture/effects I suggest you trawl through the Step by Step it the Works in progress sections and get an idea on how to do things. It’s not hard once you get started.
As for tools.
Scalpel or hobby blade (there is a technique to it)
A sharpened wooden dowel works well on non porous surface.
A fiberglass pencil 4mm or 2mm - often used for cleaning electronics
Hard & soft pencil style erasers
Fine automotive grade steel wool

Lots of options for tools,
Look at things around the house/shed that you can spray through to get a bit of texture happening EG: green scourer, pulled apart to make it thinner. Dryer sheets give great texture too.

Find a few things to practise ‘texturing’ with before jumping straight into this picture
Cool. Thank you

I am not sure how trident is for erasing and scratching textures. Some acrylic paints are not meant for this style of painting. For instance E’tac Privet Stock is not rewritable and not able to be erased and scrabble, but E’tac EFX is designed for this purpose. It all depends on the binder and base airbrush Medium used to make the paint. If it is not then basic t-shirt technique will be your best bet for creating texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
https://www.youtube.com/user/fredaw61

I’ve seen erasers used on an aluminum panel with Trident.
It depends I suppose how detailed you want you work. Super fine detail may be difficult if your paint choice restricts your ability to manipulate it to achieve detail.
Good pickup @Airbrush Dreams, we’re all so use to working with Createx and E’tac that we forget other brands work differently

This is so tricky. Im just trying on a small piece of water paper with reduced black and a touch of sepia. I sketched it out roughly first with charcoal pencil. I dont have the mdf or erasing tools yet. Im just messing about.2018-03-26-09-42-33.jpg2018-03-26-10-18-01.jpg2018-03-26-10-32-48.jpg

but youre having fun yeah ?

it will take awhile to get the feel of what to do/not to do, all part of the learning curve.

print out a couple of the reference, cut some landmarks eg:eyes, nose, mouth, the creases from nose to mouth, use that as a mask and lightly spray through onto the substrate.

Then you can freehand the other details.

PS, you arent going to get all the details you want in one layer, its all about layering and giving depth to the project, check out some of the step by step, they will give you a better understanding.

This thread may help get you started,
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/that-red-head-a-step-by-step.10042/

@Airbrush Dreams also has quite a few videos showing how he progesses..... be warned, most are not a 5 minute watch, they are very detailed and are in real time, nothing hidden, no technique withheld. so put aside a few hours and a big pot of coffee and enjoy and absorb what he is showing you.

Last edited:
but youre having fun yeah ?

it will take awhile to get the feel of what to do/not to do, all part of the learning curve.

print out a couple of the reference, cut some landmarks eg:eyes, nose, mouth, the creases from nose to mouth, use that as a mask and lightly spray through onto the substrate.

Then you can freehand the other details.

PS, you arent going to get all the details you want in one layer, its all about layering and giving depth to the project, check out some of the step by step, they will give you a better understanding.

This thread may help get you started,
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/that-red-head-a-step-by-step.10042/

@Airbrush Dreams also has quite a few videos showing how he progesses..... be warned, most are not a 5 minute watch, they are very detailed and are in real time, nothing hidden, no technique withheld. so put aside a few hours and a big pot of coffee and enjoy and absorb what he is showing you.
Cheers I will watch

Back