For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

After a lot of thought

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Airbrush Dreams, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I have been thinking a lot of differing opinions and results with different paint systems. I had a theory why some have great success with one brand and someone else i.e. Me. So I contacted someone that is extremely intelligent and chemistry smart. We have come to the conclusion that a lot of the difference is a combination of geographical location and climate conditions. Heat humidity and even the sea levels contribute to how paint is flowing over the needle. Even the weather outside as we all know can change how the paint flows. Most systems have a product that can enhance the flow of paint. I am not going to even try to get into the flow of electrons with positive and negative charges. This is all why one person in Australia can have such great results with a paint and someone like my in Western NY can struggle. Eye opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
    doc1, markjthomson and MarcosD like this.
  2. frowan

frowan Needle-chuck Ninja Very Likeable!

You are right Fred. Joking a litlle i think that Paint into cup spins wise or counterwise depend of the hemisphere, doesn't?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
  3. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

You are right on the money....and being where we live, we get all of the above...lol
    I can shoot the same paint great one day, and it does nothing the next....and I have weather change so fast that it works the same way in just a couple of hours.....
    But, we fight thru it and smile all the way....
    Cheers
    Airbrush Dreams likes this.
  4. Airbrush Dreams

I even think where you are in comparison with sea level. Now we can controll a little bit of the environment with air conditioning and heating but you can't change barometric pressure and some of the static charges in the air. I mean from Australia to Finland to Western NY the same paint system acted differently for all three of us. Age of paint and batch of paint has some factor, but I am sure they run a test on each batch. E'Tac has a flow additive that is real effective but I would stress mixing as recommended. I sprayed it once just to see and I added 1 drop to 5 of paint and the paint flowed for sure, but it didn't want to dry on the board.

For my area the weather changes in a heart beat because of where we are with two of the Great Lakes affect.

5. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

That is so true. Here in the Uk we get all the weather - sometimes within the space of one day (seriously lol) and you have to be able to adjust your paint sometimes hour to hour.
    Chris g and Airbrush Dreams like this.
  6. twood

twood Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

Yup ....I am surrounded...4 Great Lakes (if you count Georgian Bay)..and all the rivers that run between each one...lol
  7. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Think it stands true m8 that we all experience wild variety with weather and how that affects airbrushing.Australia is a very dry heat in places and a very humid heat in others.Winters no real different and as all mention that can change in an instance no matter where you are. ATM this ones been pretty dry but lots of moisture in the air. but saying that, I dont think it makes one paint impossible to use in America or say the Great Lakes but fine elsewhere. It certainly I think adds to an increase in tip dry or other issues, but so does so many other elements as to why some paints suit some and not others. Simply stopping to much with some paints is the issue, allowing the paint to dry, stop longer on a hotter day, it creates issue..barometric pressure is essentially the weight of the air pushing down on us but I dont think that has anything to do with paint being more of an issue in one place compared to the other, where talking in millibars and pushing against PSI I think the PSi wnt be deflected much by a small change in that area, a big one maybe but would doubt it..In that case, perhaps gravity is more an issue and we should aim up more with some paint LOL.( PS Aint joking on that one LOL, some are indeed heavier pigment, thus the same brand paint cld have issue from one color to the nxt. As to the charge of electrons, again not something that would affect just because of geological location, electron charge is more about how it sticks on the surface compared to how it sprays. In essence, I disagree because I feel some would have both some success and some failure if it was purely about the paint. One day the weather may be perfect so results should indicate that, some days will be bad...I don't see that often with people not liking particular brands, be it a good day or bad, most just won't get the results that they are happy with. For me it simply comes down to the time spent with both paint and airbrush and the learning curve involved in getting either to do what you want..Weather comes into it but besides being literall to cold or to hot to paint or extreme humidity which all an be adusted to create a perfect environment. I don't care what paint I put through 99% of the time I'll get the same result, be it house paint, stain, dyes or airbrush paints and inks. I really think many would benefit if having an issue with paint to actually spend more time with inks..
    wickedartstudio likes this.
  8. Amra

Amra Gravity Guru

I think this is an intuitive observation that most airbrush artists make over the course of time. I've met people who have airbrushed so long they can often judge reductions and additives by how the weather feels to them at the moment, based primarily on things like temperature and humidity. Of course, there are ways to test these assumptions, perhaps you and your chemist friend can set up some controlled experiments to verify this observation. Would be an interesting read! :)
    Airbrush Dreams, JackEb and doc1 like this.
  9. Airbrush Dreams

I wouldn't even know where to start. All I know is some paints work better for me here in NY where in other places it seem the opposite is true. Like I said it was just an interesting thought and I wanted to put it out there.

Amra and doc1 like this.
  10. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I also think there is an element of expectation too, I struggled with Createx before the Dru course, afterwards the paint just worked? The only thing that changed for me was my expectation of the paint!
    I know this sounds crazy but I honestly believe this is what happened!
  11. Chris g

Chris g Spider Splatterer

It's something I've realised.

When you start out you want a recipe, which is a starting point but only that.

Temperature and humidity can have a dramatic affect on how the paint is flowing and drying.

This is even when using the same colour in the same paint brand.
    doc1 likes this.
  12. Airbrush Dreams

Here was another thought that arose in my brain. When I was in the Graphic Printing Program at RIT I remember learning about the static charges on the Gravure press and how they used copper brushes that rode along the web of paper and the cylinders to discharge static charges so that the ink would adhere to the papers. Don't know if the same idea would apply in dry low humidity situations as paint would flow down the needle through the confined space of the nozzle could affect how the paint reacts. Would the static charges cause the paint to cling more to the needle. I know with higher humidity the moisture creates a thin layer of water on the paint. This is a very common issue with water based paints. The smarter we become the easier it will be to control the tools we use and the better we can help others with questions.

doc1 likes this.
  13. RebelAir

I hope to be helpful and not sound condescending but static charge really is irrelevant to airbrushing in most regards especially to the point of likely being able to affect it positively or reducing any slight issue it may cause. You're talking about a very weak force and when put up against 30-40 pounds per square inch of pressure it losses every time.Think about it this way, if I hung onto the side of a plane that was doing walking speed I can stick myself in essence to it. Once that bugger takes off, I ain't holding on..Its not so much about the static charge or whether the electron is positive or negative, (in a sense as if you design your needle to have a negative charge and your paint to have a negative charge you likely have a needle that is on its way to a clog proof needle) but it does indeed come down to a little mixture of chemical and mechanical adhesion to the needle surface due to the roughness at a microscopic level, these hills and valleys capture the molecule through a more mechanical bond and can resist the pressure as the surface essentially captures it, other molecules may then attach to those by either a chemical or a electric charged bond, BUT, its only when that stuff drys it becomes an issue. This is why I mention a lot that most peoples issues from paint are simply from them stopping to much and for too long, or allowing to much air to pass over their needle when they stop a stroke. When you do stop your allowing that bond to form a stronger chemical adhesion, paint faster and airbrushes rarely clog because none of those forces will overcome the pressure until the paint starts to cure..Unless of course you spray at very low pressure all the time, this could indeed allow these bonds to become more able to resist the pressure behind it..I spray at normally about 40 PSI, rarely stop and rarely suffer issue from any paint, yet still have my faves like most.

Long story short its essentially a case of deal with these kinds of issues if you stop a lot when you paint..but understanding this aspect of Airbrushing is a good endeavour to have, I think many need to understand the basic concepts of how the airbrush works, the physics behind it to get the best out of it and the paint, it does really help to understand it at that microscopic level..Like the venturi effect, its easily understood when looked at but i doubt few understand that thats essentially the engines of our airbrush or may never even heard of the term and if you ensure a good venturi, you ensure the best atomization and result..Allow that engine to break down, so will the atomization, thus the clogging becomes worse etc etc..
    MarcosD likes this.
  14. Airbrush Dreams

Nice thinking Reb, but I was really thinking of the air pressure so much, but rather the surrounding atmospheric conditions acting on the brush and paint itself. Thanks for the input. Just having fun thinking of how it helps when we understand a little more on what actually is physically happening and how to improve a Paints performance.

RebelAir likes this.
  15. RebelAir

Atmospheric conditions no doubt as we're all saying has a definite effect on our day to day painting..You did enquire about static force in your previous post and why I focused more on that aspect. To me though it is about the 3 main ones.. Too cold, too hot or too wet. Paint only really likes to be used in most cases between temp ranges of 15 degrees c to 35 degrees c, out of that range you can have an issue..But controlling your room heat fixes that..Humidity is the other factor and introduces condensation and water into the air, again bad for results but can be controlled by a humidifier so again can be fixed..Everything else like static charge, gravity, barometric pressure, electron charge is fun to think about but doesn't affect the way the paint sprays (The way it bonds yes, but not the way it atomizes) unless you're talking extremes, say trying to paint at the bottom of the sea or on Everest :) In between, most of us have to deal with the 3 main variety of issue, like hot, cold and wet from each day to each day and paint will likely reflect..Control your painting environment and in effect you fix that issue, if its a lightning storm outside and charged to hell, inside in your created environment it will paint like it did yesterday in the same environment, doesn't mean though your airbrush wnt have just a bad day or you yourself, sometimes maybe its not the paint..Most of us though I would guess can't really be bothered controlling the environment to the nth degree because then where would the fun be and the challenge in that LOL..