Air pressure and moisture traps/ oil separator s

Rob Afton

Young Tutorling
Hello all been a while,
I have a question,
how much do in-line moisture traps and/or oil vapor collectors, affect the psi?
I know that I can find out by attaching a gauge to the end of the line but I figured I would ask first.
Background info:
I began using my large shop compressor in the garage rather than my airbrush compressor that I use in the studio, I have a short 15ft coiled plastic hose with a moisture trap at compressor regulator and then one
in-line followed immediately by an oil vapor/ mosture remover (the blue beads that turn red) and then the braided hose and a pistol grip trap at gun. I also have a hose with inline built in trap that would be even more redundant.
It's kind of redundant now, I know.
I just added the oil separator just now for no other reason then I found it new, unopened and still blue, in the garage today and figured it wouldn't hurt since I have used that compressor with oil tools, however not with any of the air lines that I use with the airbrush, I pretty much do the PSI by feel more or less, rather than by an actual set psi. I'm more concerned with moving back to using the compressor in the studio and using the pressure that I was using in the garage as a reference and it not being correct. I'll have to play around with it and maybe I'll take off the oil trap and just leave the two traps one in line at end and one at the head of the compressor and then the little tiny pistol grip.
i'll have to play around with it and maybe I'll just take off the oil trap amd go back to just the 2 traps at begging and end of line.
I have never had a problem with moisture and I airbrush in the garage or in my studio down here in Florida and it's never been an issue, I've always had min 2 traps one at compressor plug and other at the end of coiled pvc hose before the braided air brush hose.
After installing it I started freaking out wondering if I'm killing my psi in a detrimental way, of course I could always turn up the pressure,
I can go up to about 110psi with this compressor which would likely damage the airbrush and the traps that have a 90psi max.
Anyways looking forward to hearing oppinions on this!

Yes but it's nominal, using a shop compressor you won't notice it's there

So with the "shop compressor" I won't even notice that there's in-line air moisture traps ? It May not actually be what some would consider a shop compressor but that's what I call it since it's not the little airbrush compressor It's 8 gallon tank 2 hp floor compressor on wheels, some might not consider that a shop compressor I am going to upgrade to the 20 gallon soon because I also do home remodeling and use a lot of air tools thank you for your reply

Decide what pressure you want at the air brush, with the trigger pushed on the brush then use the regulator on the compressor to set the psi you want.
If you set the psi without the trigger pushed then the psi at the brush will drop when you push the trigger

Nope, won't be a problem at all. I run through two of them and plenty of air

Yup what JackEb said. You get some drop in pressure anyway so have the AB blowing air when you set it.

Decide what pressure you want at the air brush, with the trigger pushed on the brush then use the regulator on the compressor to set the psi you want.
If you set the psi without the trigger pushed then the psi at the brush will drop when you push the trigger
I learned that one the hard way along time ago cloging many airbrushes along the way! Thank you for The response ;)

I would just add a regulator between the shop hose and airbrush hose. That way you can adjust as needed without the guesswork.

I have just bought one of these digital air regulators for what I`m hoping to be a more accurate setting than the needle gauge ,so I can have it to hand for a more easier changedigital air regulator.jpg .

You don't need such precise regulation. If paint does not flow, either thin paint or up pressure.

Back