air tank size

R

rcam1977

trying to get a parts list together for a silent compressor build, and the biggest question i got right now is how big of a tank should i use, i have a motor i just took out of a Fridge yesterday,i don't want to go to big or to small, this will be used for AB only so im just looking to build something for my own personal use, i stopped by a local pawn shop today and they had a portable air tank that was 10 or eleven gallon for $20.00, would that be to big?

Thats like 40 odd litres. I would say that's far too big. A 1 to 3 litre tank would be the range I would go to. If you can find an old aux air tank from an 18 wheeler truck that might be your next best thing.

Also you should look for a 4 port tank. 2 prts for inlet and outlet, 1 bottom port for a drain and a top port for pressure relied valve set at about 1 to 1.5 bar below your tanks max pressure, if permissable 1 bar above the tanks operating pressure.

Tried to edit post above but ran out of time.

now that you mention it that tank i saw couldn't be 10 or 11 gallons, it was to small, maybe a 2-3 gallon tank.

I have about 25l tank on my compressor, that's a convenient size.

I have a 15 ltr tank, 25ltr would be better.
Remember the bigger the tank the longer between your compressor running again. Something to consider if noise is an issue.ie kids in bed, although there 'silent ' they still make a noise.
I would look out for an old compressor and buy it for the tank and other bits, plus it should have a nice platform to mount yours

Yup c heck my thread "fez air" i built one with 2 motors and a 25 (5 gal) tank with 4 ports

So would a 5 gal tank work with 1 motor is should I look for something smaller like a 3 gal,
I just don't want something to small that's gonna make the motor run continuously

Yes one would work but will just take a bit longer to fill.

3 gal 1 motor i would say is ideal........ mine doesn't get very hot as is so i would say with a smaller 3 gal and 1 motor you would have a similar duty

i think ill go with a 5gal tank, , thanks for all the tips guys.
probably going to be asking more questions after i get my hands on a tank , im sure ill have more questions on the rest of the components.

Well I mentioned I was looking for a tank to one of the guys at work in the shop and he said that they had some tanks out there that were going to get thrown out, they are empty R134a coolant tanks, he gave me 2 of them, their not very big though maybe 2 gallons a piece maybe 1.5 not exactly sure, they look like mini propane tanks, wondering how to make that work or if I should continue my search for a 5 gal tank, any thoughts?

Well I mentioned I was looking for a tank to one of the guys at work in the shop and he said that they had some tanks out there that were going to get thrown out, they are empty R134a coolant tanks, he gave me 2 of them, their not very big though maybe 2 gallons a piece maybe 1.5 not exactly sure, they look like mini propane tanks, wondering how to make that work or if I should continue my search for a 5 gal tank, any thoughts?

If you look at these professional air compressors, most of them come with a tank size between 650cc to 3 litres. Iwata series pro offer a 2ltr tank with their Series Pro. So I don't think that having a 2 Gal (approx 9ltr) would be an issue at all.
http://www.graphicair.co.uk/products/Iwata-Studio-Series-Power-Jet-Pro-Airbrush-Compressor.html

Do you know what size and type the treads are for the refrigerant recovery tank, as you will more than likely need to use adapters to get your hoses/pipes connected. Has the tank been cleaned out properly.

I already figured I would need adapters, but no the tanks have not been cleaned, that was actually one of the question I have, do I have to do anything special to clean the besides rinse them out with water and maybe some alcohol

I already figured I would need adapters, but no the tanks have not been cleaned, that was actually one of the question I have, do I have to do anything special to clean the besides rinse them out with water and maybe some alcohol
If they had refrigerant In them there will be residual oils in there, I would use a good degreaser on them and let them set a while. Although you might be able to just put your oil and water seperator after the tank. The only downside I can see is not having a drain on them. For myself thats not a big deal I can drill and tap it. I ran a 1 gallon compressor for a long time with no issues, those ougt to be a good size... free is always good

Yep as @Nada says, pour some degreaser (brake cleaner for cars is usually a very good degreaser) and then poke the nozzle of a jet washer in there and get medieval on its ass.

Does you tank have 3 ports or just two. If it has 3, I think you might be able to mount it upside down and have a drain instead of a PRV(pressure relief valve, as your fridge compressor will more than likely only produce a max of around 500psi and the refridgerant cylinders are good for about 3000psi - but definately check what the max pressure is for the cylinder.

The tanks only have 2 ports, I'll check them out more closely over the weekend, I haven't messed with them since I brought them home, what all do I need as far as gauges and valves, , I know I'll need a pressure gauge, and separator, and is it a pressure relief valve that shuts the motor off when the tanks full?

Sounds like you are ok with a drill.. I think you would be safe to drill and tap holes to the same size as your threads? One for in or output one for the drain and one to fit pressure release valve. I have a refrigerant tank 20l or so I plan on converting. My friend is a refrigeration engineer and hes confident it will be safe.

Just my 2pennies worth.

Lee

Back