Air trigger down

huskystafford

Needle chucking Ninja
Staff member
Admin
Mod
all the videos I seen about trigger control are the same. Hold down trigger all the time and pul it back when you need paint to spray. But I noticed I have much better control with small lines like 1cm=0,3inch if I press it like computer mouse. Trigger and air at the same time. So I was wondering does everyone hold down air trigger down all the time or not?

Detailed lines are much easier and I have better control if I don't...

I will not hold the trigger down all the time as I dont see the point in doing so
Thank you very much. I was hooping to find someone who doesn't use hold down all the time. I have so much better control with small lines and I didn't wanna relearn from start. I can do big lines with hold down all the time but small lines are hard.

"All the time" can mean different things to different people. I hold it down when I'm in position to lay down paint and only let it go when I'm done with the spot and sit back. You can not apply air and paint at the same time. Air has to be on before paint is opened and paint needs to be close before air is let go.

"All the time" can mean different things to different people. I hold it down when I'm in position to lay down paint and only let it go when I'm done with the spot and sit back. You can not apply air and paint at the same time. Air has to be on before paint is opened and paint needs to be close before air is let go.
If I do small strokes I fast press on trigger until I get air, and then I add paint. Cause movement of the finger goes back instead of down. But it is such a small movement like I would press left mouse button. That is the best way to describe it.

I made a drawing :D
Untitled-1.jpg

I do this for small lines. It's like pressing computer mouse...So basically I add air first and then paint, and after I finished line I turn paint off and after that I put air to off. But this is very small movement.

If you can get the trigger all the way down a millisecond before you start pulling back and lift the trigger again a millisecond after you close the paint then I don't see any problem with that. I just sounds like you've got two habits depending on what you paint. But if is works for you then there is nothing wrong with it.

If you can get the trigger all the way down a millisecond before you start pulling back and lift the trigger again a millisecond after you close the paint then I don't see any problem with that. I just sounds like you've got two habits depending on what you paint. But if is works for you then there is nothing wrong with it.
I got much better control like that with small stuff. I do appreciate all of your input guys. Including your deleted leaky :D

Just make sure when you restart your air you are not over your work. If there is any paint left on the needle from turning off air to soon, it will blow and splatter...
If you do turn off air too soon, it also increases the chance for tip dry...
The best procedure for me is air on, pull back for paint, forward to stop paint flow, then air off. Sometimes I leave air on at all times until I slow my roll checking reference, thinking, or just trying to figure out how I screwed it up...lol

Just make sure when you restart your air you are not over your work. If there is any paint left on the needle from turning off air to soon, it will blow and splatter...
If you do turn off air too soon, it also increases the chance for tip dry...
The best procedure for me is air on, pull back for paint, forward to stop paint flow, then air off. Sometimes I leave air on at all times until I slow my roll checking reference, thinking, or just trying to figure out how I screwed it up...lol
thanks for the tip.

Small lines = 1cm?!... I guess you mean long not wide.
It sounded at first like you were saying you pulled back then pressed down= single actioning
Then sounds like you do exactly what you say all those videos are telling you, air first, then paint. You're just doing it quickly.
Like twood said just blow some air on scrap before you start the next line to make sure you dont have splatter.

If youre doing it really quick you may also be inadvertently using the trigger to regulate air pressure when you do this.....so that you are shutting off air and paint at the same time.
I do that inadvertently, and sometimes on purpose

I certainly never hold the trigger all the time. Just push for air then pull for paint. Let go of paint first then air....usually. I think its what most people do.

Small lines = 1cm?!... I guess you mean long not wide.
It sounded at first like you were saying you pulled back then pressed down= single actioning
Then sounds like you do exactly what you say all those videos are telling you, air first, then paint. You're just doing it quickly.
Like twood said just blow some air on scrap before you start the next line to make sure you dont have splatter.

If youre doing it really quick you may also be inadvertently using the trigger to regulate air pressure when you do this.....so that you are shutting off air and paint at the same time.
I do that inadvertently, and sometimes on purpose

I certainly never hold the trigger all the time. Just push for air then pull for paint. Let go of paint first then air....usually. I think its what most people do.
I can do that on side feed better then on bottom feed. It feels like bottom feed has slight delay. I need to get one gravity feed -.-

edit: 1cm long thin lines.

Last edited:
Back