Airbrush hoses for Upholstery?

B

Bongtu

Hello,

My name is James and maybe you can help me out.

My family runs an upholstery business and we have to hold an upholstery staplers for long periods of time. The staplers are super heavy and a huge strain on our elbows.

We recently came across airbrush equipment, hoses in particular, which we adapted to use with our compressor and staplers.

It was pretty amazing! Airbrush hoses are very flexible and light which made for an incredibly lightweight and free upholstery experience.

The only problem is that airbrush hoses are not intended for use with the 100 or so PSI that upholstery staplers operate at.

We got an air leak around the junction in the picture after a week or so of use.

We are looking for an airbrush hose that can withstand the higher psi or one that can easily be field-repaired. It would also help if there were springs around the ends to protect the fragile parts, but that would be a luxury.

Regular air hoses just won't do!

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

James

Attachments

• IMG_20170209_112404.jpg
    IMG_20170209_112404.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 19
Airbrushes don't operate at 100psi so the hoses aren't built to that level. was the leak at the actual junction or on the hose? If you wanted you could make your own using a band-it clamp. What about the light weight curly hoses...?

As far as I'm aware airbrush hoses are designed for airbrushed/mini spray guns.
Air hoses are designed for larger spray guns and air tools.

I don't know if you'll find what you are looking for

Airbrushes don't operate at 100psi so the hoses aren't built to that level. was the leak at the actual junction or on the hose? If you wanted you could make your own using a band-it clamp. What about the light weight curly hoses...?

Thank you Mark,

The leak was at the junction, not the hose itself.

I am very interested in your suggestion of making my own hose since the hoses seem fine, the metal parts seem to be the problem.

I've never heard of band-it clamps before. Are there small band it clamps for this type of application?

I think he means automotive hose clamps, like this:
103325218_band_it_hose_clamps_s.jpg

There's another type that's more like a metal zip-tie. Those would be lighter (by maybe a gram or two per clamp, or something like that), but I think they need a spacial too to install, while the regular type only needs a screwdriver.

Basically, you just need to get some barb fittings that match the inner diameter of your hose, insert them into the cut end of the hose, and use the clamp to clamp the hose end tight around the barb.

Though the best solution (read: safest) would be to get some nylon recoil hoses instead. Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Amflo-4-12-Y...id=1487075064&sr=8-4&keywords=recoil+air+hose

I have no experience with that model specifically, I'm just using it as an example. I do have one of the blue poly hoses from the same company though, and it's pretty good: much lighter than a braided rubber hose, but not as light as a nylon one.

Those are built for exactly what you need: lightweight hoses for air tools requiring higher PSIs. Airbrush hoses, as others have noted, aren't really built for pressures of 100psi or more, so even if they seem okay short term, they may well not hold up or be safe long term.

Try flexzilla hose, super light and flexible. I use for my mini hvlp. They are nice and rated for higher psi.

Hi everyone,

I want to thank everyone for all of their helpful suggestions and ideas.

We went to a specialty hose fitting shop who carried the 1/8 barbs. They also sold us the clamps which we used to cut the old fittings off and fasten the new barbs with.

The hoses are working out awesomely! We can now field repair the hoses if they get damaged, and our elbows have a whole lot of strain taken off of them.

Yay!

Thank you,

James

Back