Airbrush stuttering with Createx but not with Golden?

F

Fizzylicious

Hi guys,

I was airbrushing freehand, using Createx paint. Compressor pressure around 1.8bar. My airbrush is a Taurus 101, 0.2mm needle.

My airbrush started out beautifully but quickly began to sputter. Both myself and my tutor have tried cleaning it repeatedly, including soaking the components for a couple of minutes in thinner. Same thing happened. Reducing the paint (further) didn't help either.

In the end I switched back to using Golden and it performed without a hitch. I have always been brushing with Golden high-flow so far but I think most of you use Createx. Has anybody else got the same problem? Could it be particle size?

I'll stick to Golden for now, but I'd still really like to know what could be causing this (and more importantly, how to solve it).

Kind regards,
-Fizzy-

Hi guys,

I was airbrushing freehand, using Createx paint. Compressor pressure around 1.8bar. My airbrush is a Taurus 101, 0.2mm needle.

My airbrush started out beautifully but quickly began to sputter. Both myself and my tutor have tried cleaning it repeatedly, including soaking the components for a couple of minutes in thinner. Same thing happened. Reducing the paint (further) didn't help either.

In the end I switched back to using Golden and it performed without a hitch. I have always been brushing with Golden high-flow so far but I think most of you use Createx. Has anybody else got the same problem? Could it be particle size?

I'll stick to Golden for now, but I'd still really like to know what could be causing this (and more importantly, how to solve it).

Kind regards,
-Fizzy-
If it is standard createx, in a .2 it is not going to work. It is particle size. You just wont get standard createx thin enough to flow well in that. Even my .5 i thin standard createx and it just barely likes it.

Agree with other responders.
Createx standard AB colors will work for basic textile painting with a "large" nozzle.
For artwork on a good medium they do truly suck!
I have found that Wicked colors work well when rendering artwork on nearly any medium. Also, Wicked reducer is the ideal to work with when using these colors.
However, if you wish to pursue "Detail Artwork" on vehicles then that is something of which I have no experience.

Stock createx (Non Wicked line) is terrible in any thing under .3 needle set. Even then its touchy. And if its Humid... You'll be pulling your hair out!
As aid its said by Textile guys. and many use the old VL brush's at that. So they can almost spray concrete thro those old clunkers lol. *Takes cover*
Now you are better educated. Use what works for your application, And be happy for it.

Dan

Back