Airbrush tutor Leopard

beginner-James

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Well I have taken the advice of many the paint this Leopard as a starting point so I have shelved the Tiger's tail until I have done this one I have down loaded the reference image and printed it at 30% (photoshop) Opacity ready to start laying some black stuff on my paper with is DALER & ROWNEY A3 Bristol Board - Airbrush 250 g/m2 I do like the feel of this paper/card very very smooth but how does it hold up to scratching and erasing ?

So I will make this a beginner step by step with photo's at every turn and comment's:shock::shock:
Beginner-James

I have a pad of A3 Bristol paper/card I believe to be the same stuff, it doesn't erase scratch too woo well at all, I had problems with it just using graphite pencils, I had sections of the paper surface lift while erasing, I also had the surface lift removing tape I had around it for a border, so it's definitely not something I would use for airbrushing, I keep it now onky for graphite projects and I also use as a practice spray out cards next to my work for checking my brush performance.

The leopard tutorial was put up by airbrush tutor back when the forum first started 6+years ago, even airbrush tutor was finding his feet back then, he has been trying several other substrates since then, in his later tutorials he used clay board, in the early days he did no erasing or scratching and again adapted his methods to include these and other techniques later.

My point with that information is that when you do any of the tutorials on the Tutors site, you don't need to adhere to the same materials he might have used.

My preferred substrate was always gessoed MDF board, but for speed I often also used Schoelershammer No.4 airbrush paper which had none if the problems I had with the Bristol stuff, I could remive tape easily with no lift at all, however, I have feeling that shortly I'll be using nothing but clayboard from now on.

Clay board has been made A3 size so I shall start to trace it tomorrow and then start painting on Friday hopefully I can spend most of the weekend painting as the wife is working

Beginner-James

Clay board has been made A3 size so I shall start to trace it tomorrow and then start painting on Friday hopefully I can spend most of the weekend painting as the wife is working

Beginner-James
just remember to trace your lines lightly, if you go to hard you will dent the clayboard

Hello all well the clay board is finish BUT I have a lot of brush strokes on the board so I'm waiting for some sand paper from Amazon.
So I'm moving the leopard to Hot press illustration Board. Plus I've just ordered more Board I have given up trying to find paper to paint on I have that much paper I'm thinking of opening my own shop (unsuitable4U) so Back to the Clay board Have any one tried to spray the mixture through one of those paint air guns that paint shops(cars) use for touching up
Amazon link https://www.amazon.co.uk/H-V-L-P-Al...32024946&sr=8-28&keywords=air+paint+spray+gun

If so how did they get on but more importantly did they spoil the gun and what would you wash to gun with? water or what.

Has anyone tried mixing the clay mix with acrylic satin paint say acrylic satin gloss I only ask because I found that the clay had a bit of trouble bonding with the water. By the way I used one of those coffee spinney things for making coffee all frothy
Link Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/IKEA-Froth...qid=1532025552&sr=1-1&keywords=coffee+frother

This worked really well BUT put it in to the clay mix first when you turn it on to avoid decorating your studio, kitchen LOL

Well tea is ready now so after tea I'm tracing as I can't find my A3 board carrier for the printer
Beginner-James

Morning to all, Well after fun and games trying to lay my Photo Paper I'm ready to start adding a block colour I'm using Golden high flow and my new Mr Hobby 289. Compressor psi is set to 22/23 PSI and drops to 19/20 when in use needle size is 0.35 and im looking forward to falling in love with my new gun. well off now to practice for a little bit.

The paint I'm using it Black reduced with water 50/50 if you think this is wrong please feel free to chip in. I'm just going to give the dark/black areas a light dusting.

The wife is in bed and then working until late tonight so I should get quite a bit of practice and painting done

As I say I'm using Golden high flow black should I mist with a burnt sienna first or burnt umber watered down to 50/50 water a I can't believe I'm about to start my first practice painting really excited.
Beginner-James

well thanks' to mark I have some of the information I need to get started Big Big thank you mark with the advice on Golden High Flow Acrylic paint.

If you have the time would you post a link for the poster board you use as there are some many different one's and my wife is getting feed up of me ordering wrong paper/board bless her if she could see my bank statement she would blow her top ssssssssssssssssh

Beginner-James

well thanks' to mark I have some of the information I need to get started Big Big thank you mark with the advice on Golden High Flow Acrylic paint.

If you have the time would you post a link for the poster board you use as there are some many different one's and my wife is getting feed up of me ordering wrong paper/board bless her if she could see my bank statement she would blow her top ssssssssssssssssh

Beginner-James
Hobbies are like that and 'finding what works' is definitely expen$ive. Nevermind the wife, I see my own bank statements since Christmas and have been ringing things up for this hobby and it's OMG :eek::eek::eek:. $$$$$$$$$h indeed lol

I can spend way more than what my budget would ever allow. I now have what I call my Airbrush fund. It is a 10 inch piggy bank (that used to say Harley fund) and any change in my pocket goes in there. We have a 1 and 2 dollar coin, so it could be 5-10 bucks a week or so. Also, any profit made after material costs on any commissioned work or art sales, go in that also. When I have a couple hundred bucks or so, I will go and spend it on supplies and equipment. It doesn't take much to easily spend $100 on paint. And very easy to spend that same amount just on airbrushing/paint consumables.
I love my little piggy bank. It is going to get a little fatter during/after my rehab too. I now have 2 commission jobs waiting as soon as I am able. oops...and a paint pal....lol

I can spend way more than what my budget would ever allow. I now have what I call my Airbrush fund. It is a 10 inch piggy bank (that used to say Harley fund) and any change in my pocket goes in there. We have a 1 and 2 dollar coin, so it could be 5-10 bucks a week or so. Also, any profit made after material costs on any commissioned work or art sales, go in that also. When I have a couple hundred bucks or so, I will go and spend it on supplies and equipment. It doesn't take much to easily spend $100 on paint. And very easy to spend that same amount just on airbrushing/paint consumables.
I love my little piggy bank. It is going to get a little fatter during/after my rehab too. I now have 2 commission jobs waiting as soon as I am able. oops...and a paint pal....lol
How's your arm doing, Tony? Hope you don't overdo until you're ready. Nice you're got some work waiting for you. :)

How's your arm doing, Tony? Hope you don't overdo until you're ready. Nice you're got some work waiting for you. :)
It is coming slowly. Baby steps. My wife keeps telling me to slow down and my physiotherapist is happy with my progress....lol....I don't know who to please......
It never fails, I have nothing but time sometimes and not a word....then when I can't, the work drops on my lap

It is coming slowly. Baby steps. My wife keeps telling me to slow down and my physiotherapist is happy with my progress....lol....I don't know who to please......
It never fails, I have nothing but time sometimes and not a word....then when I can't, the work drops on my lap
Know the feeling, believe me, with my hip replacements. :rolleyes: Wife was worried I'd overdo and the therapist wanted more (and more and...) [she was a bloody sadist] No, not the wife lol. Hadn't had your issue of work falling into your lap, either. They wouldn't let me back in the door until the doctor said I could go back into work without crutches. :mad: I was climbing the walls (and ceiling) . Hope your clients are patient!!

Back