Airbrushing arcade cabinets

R

rackoon

Hello, I have not airbrushed since 1989 but am getting back onto it for a project I am working on. I teach algebra in a inner-city school in Stockton CA. One period a day I teach shop/art class. This year we are building several arcade cabinets (think a pac-man arcade cabinet).

I am practicing to paint four cabinets for a total of eight sides. I am here to make sure the end product of class does not totally suck.

So basically I am here to make sure all my steps are correct because things have changed in the past 30 years.

welcome from Australia.
I'm confident that one thing hasn't changed, and that's that you need to put paint in an airbrush and aim it at your target of choice LOL

Paints have changed from what I understand (I've only been doing this a few years) and water based paints are now the preference due to environmental and health concerns. You will have a lot of choice of brands and what is available to you.
I'm sure one you get back in the groove it will be like you never left :D

Looks like I freaked out some folks asking about using urethane to paint a bunch of arcade cabinets. I just was going with what I was use to from back in the day. Regardless, I have reconsidered it and will give acrylic a go. I am going to order some auto air colors and start messing around with them, I just dont have any experience with them,

Looks like I freaked out some folks asking about using urethane to paint a bunch of arcade cabinets. I just was going with what I was use to from back in the day. Regardless, I have reconsidered it and will give acrylic a go. I am going to order some auto air colors and start messing around with them, I just dont have any experience with them,
Sounds like a good idea :thumbsup:
30yr ago urethane was the norm, but we've learnt a lot about health since then (take asbestos for example:D)

Welcome Home rackoon, If you are set up for meeting California laws on spraying urethane then by all means use what you know.
But give David Monnig over at coast airbrush a call and he can give you pretty much all the laws for Cali.
here is David's contact infor.
312 N Anaheim Blvd
Anaheim, CA 92805

phone: 714-635-5557
fax: 714-999-6785

toll free for orders only:
1-888-KOLOR-IT (888-565-6748)

Hours of operation:

Mon, Fri, Sat: 9:30am - 5:00pm
Tues, Wed, Thur: 9:30am - 6:00pm
CLOSED SUNDAYS
Being you have not painted in about 30 years learning to use the water based products will be easier just due to you have been out of the game for a while. Plus he can pretty much answer anything

Back