Airbrushing motor oil effect

A

Andhson

Hej,

I have this nut I have been trying to crack for a while now. I am a baitbuilder and I want to replicat the motor oil color effect from soft baits on my hard baits.

I have the softbait dye I want to replicate, I mix this in hot plastics to create the softbait lures. I have tried mixing this dye in cretex base and illustrator base, they do not mix and does not really dry, it stays tacky and messes with the epoxy top coat. I have tried mixing it in the epoxy top coat but it does not really agree with the epoxy.

Anyone have an idea what to try next? Anyone tried something similar?

I have seen this done so I know it can be done. I just need to figure it out. I am down to trying to create this effect from layers of paint next.

Hej,

I have this nut I have been trying to crack for a while now. I am a baitbuilder and I want to replicat the motor oil color effect from soft baits on my hard baits.

I have the softbait dye I want to replicate, I mix this in hot plastics to create the softbait lures. I have tried mixing this dye in cretex base and illustrator base, they do not mix and does not really dry, it stays tacky and messes with the epoxy top coat. I have tried mixing it in the epoxy top coat but it does not really agree with the epoxy.

Anyone have an idea what to try next? Anyone tried something similar?

I have seen this done so I know it can be done. I just need to figure it out. I am down to trying to create this effect from layers of paint next.

As I understand this you can make soft baits that with the stuff that creates this effect so that you have a flexible bait made out of the your material?, it obviously can't be mixed with anything else while in it's liquid state, but I reckon in its cured state, i.e. the finished bait flexible bait can simply be dipped in epoxy resin two or three times drying between dips effectively turning it into a hard bait which is what you want to achieve, you should still be able to see the effect through the glass like epoxy hard finish:)

As I understand this you can make soft baits that with the stuff that creates this effect so that you have a flexible bait made out of the your material?, it obviously can't be mixed with anything else while in it's liquid state, but I reckon in its cured state, i.e. the finished bait flexible bait can simply be dipped in epoxy resin two or three times drying between dips effectively turning it into a hard bait which is what you want to achieve, you should still be able to see the effect through the glass like epoxy hard finish:)

Intresting idea but I dont think I can make it work. The epoxy I use cures over 6hours and need to rotate during those six hours to not run off, and it will only stick to a clean hard surface. It would never stick to a soft bait. Even if it works I would have a problem with durability.

It would probably work the other way around, dipping a hard bait in warm plastisol, but that will have very poor durability.

Also, I want this to go through an airbrush so that I can have some control over what color goes where.

anders@gäddfiske.se

Have you checked with the manufacturer? They might give you a starting point?have to ask is it an oil your trying to add?,also are you mixing the epoxy first and then adding it or are you mixing it all together at the same time?

Have you checked with the manufacturer? They might give you a starting point?have to ask is it an oil your trying to add?,also are you mixing the epoxy first and then adding it or are you mixing it all together at the same time?

I have not tried to ask the manufacturer, but it is a good idea, dont know why I didnt think of that.

It might be oil based, that would make sense. It must mix in 180Celcius plastic so it cannot be water based or flamable. It also explains why it does not mix with wather and causes problems with epoxy.

When I have somewhat succeded mixing it in epoxy I first mix the epoxy, then add the dye. It does mix afer a while but the epoxy runs off and misbehaves once the dye has been added.

anders@gäddfiske.se

Sounds like that's it,water and oil don't play well together!

True, and oli wont dry, and epoxy runs of greasy or oily stuff.

This is why I think I need to learn to create this effect using airbrush and colors.

anders@gäddfiske.se

You might be able to achieve it with some car paints (there not cheap tho) but you might be able to get a small amount at automotive repair shops

You might be able to achieve it with some car paints (there not cheap tho) but you might be able to get a small amount at automotive repair shops

Maybe, but I perfere to stay with the water based products. I was hoping for a shortcut but I might as well learn how to do this with paint.

I know more or less how to mix the color, it is a base of fluo yellow with a few drops of black and then either a few drops of blue to give it a green color or a few drops of red to for a red tone. The idea is that the yellow makes it light up in certain natural light. The trick is to get this mix to acually light up using airbrush colors.

anders@gäddfiske.se

You could try it with the U.V. color paint that might give it the glow you need?you can get it at netcrafters.com

Back