For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Airbrushing wood and using clearcoat

Discussion in 'What would you like to learn here?' started by kfccarling, Sep 24, 2015.

1. kfccarling

kfccarling Young Tutorling

So I am going to airbrush an electric guitar a camo pattern. My plan, based on research not experience, is to paint my lightest color as the base,tan, and then put on a light clearcoat. Then I would put on stencils to hold that tan and paint next color and so on. I've been told the clearcoat will help with the stencils not sticking but not sure how Createx paint sticks to it. Any advice? On the right track?
    james lanfear likes this.
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod

It will be useful to review the replies you got on the last post. What material are you using as a stencil? If your stencil sticks to the paint (and damages the paint) then the paint is too soft to work on. No advantage to putting clear over first. You shoulld give the clear a light scuff before spraying onto it... I'd leave the clear till last.
  3. ferret

ferret Needle-chuck Ninja

I would not use a clear lacquer over your base as there should be no need to .some times people use what's called an inter coat. Clear to protect layers of art work ,but not really needed in this case .
    kfccarling likes this.
  4. kfccarling

Hi Mark. Sorry for starting a new thread on this, felt it wasn't quit answered. I plan to use cut pieces of poster board with light spray adhesive. I saw this done on a video but I have reservations about it. I don't want to screw this up.
  5. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

If you can get repositional spray glue you should be ok, i use that on tshirts and it dosnt leave any residue
  6. kfccarling

I have looked for that and could not find it. Where do you get repositionable glue?
  7. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

kfccarling likes this.
  8. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA Quick Draw !! (and still very happy) Staff Member Mod

You can hold them in place easy enough when you spray. Tacking it down will give a hard edge
    Otherwise check out my post in the WIP for tattoo tiger, see how I cut some slots around the image, close to the edge, then take some of the tack off the masking tape and hold it down.