Am I ready to step up from Badger Patriot? Help!

M

manicmind559

Here is my situation. I have only been airbrushing for just over a year and am having horrible problems with spitting, sudden spidering no matter my psi, reduction, etc. I have two 105's- one with a fine tip set-up and the other with "Super Fine" conversion, use only Wicked paint and reducer on mixed media paper. I am very frustrated and on a couple of reviews online found this to be a common problem. I can get a couple nice thin dagger strokes only to have to "blow out" the nozzle and take care of incessant tip-dry. Is this normal?

After seeing the beautiful artwork that you all are putting out I for the life of me cannot figure out how to make those luscious eyelashes in the tutorials. I keep ruining my artwork so Will an eclipse solve my problems or let's be honest...Is it me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....!

So a couple of things... how about going along to the intro section and saying Hi - we like to at least have an introduction.. :0 Always polite when you are new to a forum.

Are you filtering your paint...?

Well... my answer to this is look in your wallet. Do you have enough for an Eclipse? If the answer is yes, then you are ready. :)

On a more serious note, if you are looking to buy an airbrush just to cure some problem (I'm going to assume that you really don't want to buy another airbrush) well that's a much more serious problem. You say you've been airbrushing for a year- has this been a constant problem or something that just started (or seemed to get worse) recently? In my humble opinion it does sound like you are doing something wrong. Tip dry is a common occurrence in airbrushing- I don't think it matters what brush you are using. A change of paint or technique might bring better results for less money. Another thing to look at is how clean do you keep your airbrush? (Spitting can indicate a dirty needle or nozzle) Do you have the same problem from both setups? Yet another possibility is your needle packing could be damaged or out of adjustment. I think one of our other members just discovered this to be a problem.

It can be frustrating to diagnose these problems, but in the long run it's worth the effort. It sucks to drop a wad of cash on a new airbrush just to continue having the same problems!

Here is my situation. I have only been airbrushing for just over a year and am having horrible problems with spitting, sudden spidering no matter my psi, reduction, etc. I have two 105's- one with a fine tip set-up and the other with "Super Fine" conversion, use only Wicked paint and reducer on mixed media paper. I am very frustrated and on a couple of reviews online found this to be a common problem. I can get a couple nice thin dagger strokes only to have to "blow out" the nozzle and take care of incessant tip-dry. Is this normal?

After seeing the beautiful artwork that you all are putting out I for the life of me cannot figure out how to make those luscious eyelashes in the tutorials. I keep ruining my artwork so Will an eclipse solve my problems or let's be honest...Is it me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.....!
A couple of things to consider. The Patriot has a floating nozzle, so make sure the head is good and tight. Next is to pay close attention to how you start and stop your air. If you are stopping your air at the same time or before you stop the paint all the way you will have a bit of wet paint on the needle tip which will spit off when you start the air again. Next the Eclipse also has a floating nozzle and you may find the same thing if the head isn't tight enough. I do believe the Eclipse is a bit better quality in comparison with the 105. Spidering is from over reduced paint and to high of air pressure and being too close to the substrate. You end up flooding the surface which creates a ring of wet paint that the air will push lines of paint all over. If I am wrong about the floating nozzle than you should seal the nozzle and make sure you have some resistance on the needle when it passes through the packing bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist

I have a patriot with the super fine and what you are describing could be due to a dirty gun. Take it apart, clean, then clean a couple more times....Soak in restorer....
Strain the wicked....I find a big difference... You never said what type of wicked or what you are reducing with....

I think Fred has told how to check everything. Clean very good and look at the tip and needle with a magnifier. Make sure the needle isn't bent and the tip isn't bad. I have 2 Badger Kromes I use occasionally. One with the fine and one with ultra fine setup. If you can't work on yours then I would send them to Badger repair dept. They are very good. I sent one back with a bad cup to body attachment and they sent mine back plus a new Krome to replace it.
Hope you get it straightened out. Unexpected spidering at the wrong time is awful annoying.
Richard

Well, I can tell you that there is nothing about the design of the Badger 105 heads, nozzles, needles, that would inherently lead to the problems(s) you are describing. I would think that not being able to solve the issues at hand would make purchasing another airbrush a bit of a premature gesture, and that the same issues are likely to follow.

I've not used Wicked, so am a bit limited in the specific advice I may be able to offer with it's use. Tip dry however is a common problem with many/most paint systems to some degree or another - it happens. With some paints it happens A LOT. Most paint systems have at least some additives that should help with the issue - I know using Illustration colors, adding 4012 (sometimes also mixed with 4030) can make a lot of difference in how long I can paint between tip picking sessions. I will at times also keep a Q-tip wet with cleaning solution in my left hand, and periodically use it to wipe the needle tip off while painting. You develop a feel for how long you can go between wipes downs.

You may also try a different paint system if you are only working on paper. I have found that both Com-art and Golden Hi Flow acrylics tend to work quite well, and reduce well with acrylic flow enhancers...

Thanks so much for all of your responses. It sparked 2 thoughts: I have only cleaned my gun at most once a day if that. I also have never filtered my paint so that is definitely on my to-do as well. I will get a little intro up so as not to be rude.

Main reason for my post: I can afford either the eclipse or micron airbrushes and was more interested in your thoughts as to where I should spend my time if let's say the eclipse is a better performer than my 105's. Or do I get down with my 105's until I have them "mastered" then take the jump. Fyi: I eventually would like to do some work on autos, shirts and other mediums. Is there a timeframe that it took you all to get to the point where your art came together?

Like I said before- if you've got the cash and if you really want a new airbrush, go ahead and get one. The microns are really, really nice! Just be aware that a new airbrush won't magically solve any problems you are having now.

Thanks Jurien. I think I am jumping the gun a bit. It would be more prudent to get these 105's down and then go from there. As far the learning curve question: How long before you became proficient with your airbrushes?

Thanks Jurien. I think I am jumping the gun a bit. It would be more prudent to get these 105's down and then go from there. As far the learning curve question: How long before you became proficient with your airbrushes?
Nobody can answer that, not every person has the same qualities and abilities, not all can practice 4+ hours a day or even per week, so, every person has it own times.
Respect to buy or not another airbrush, the answer is almost the same, you could paint the same picture with both brushes, one will make it easy than the other, it is up to personal preferences and economic posibilities. Won't be the brush what will make you better, will be the time that you spent with it:thumbsup:.

Oh you so don't wanna ask me that! :) I work as a truck driver, so Ive been at this for several years yet Ive got about a solid week of practice in. I know what you're getting at, but really by this stage you should go ahead and get the brush you want and incorporate that into your learning. I don't see any benefit in waiting 10 years to buy a nice brush then all of a sudden you have to relearn a bunch of stuff. Airbrushes are just tools- its better to have all the tools you are going to need as you progress.

I think you kinda know what you need to do from the responces from here. Clean the brush, stick to one paint until you understand how to use it and when it's time for a new brush---GO FOR IT. I would also say--- buy the best you can afford, then learn all over again how to use it. I have 12 brushes of different brands and master of none of them. Iwata's are very sensitive to trigger movement, Badgers feel good when I use them, Paasche's are good for just slinging paint everwhere. I use the paasche's for the model cars I build and about all you can do is blast the paint and primer with them.
Wish I could afford a Micron:cry:

Richard

First try different paint before you change guns. It is better to waste a $7 bottle E'tac if it is indeed the guns than to waste $150 on a gun and was the paint all along.

Awesome advice from you all. Update: My airbrush was filthy, My needles were bent to all hell and am now going to filter my Wicked paint. All of your inputs are greatly appreciated. Have a great afternoon !

Just another quick thank you. My airbrushes have never run so nice. Still need more practice on the eyelashes though ha, ha. Cant wait to get that restorer and see how that might help as well. I have a lot more control now and even less dry-tip after adding a bit more reducer and filtering. My spidering was fixed as well by slowing down and being conscious of movements....I was rushing a bit too much. I'll pick up the iwata's after I really get these 105's down. Again.....Thanks !

I am a brush junky and if I see someone do awesome with one I begin to think I need it. I would keep up with the 105, but also add a gravity detail brush into the mix. A Micron is an investment you will never regret. If you tend to like working larger than a Micron C plus would be a great choice. If you like smaller and more intricate detail than a Micron B or SB. If you don't want to spend on the more expensive than I would choose a HP-C or just a HP-CS. Or then you can be like me and one one of every brush. Just kidding I only own 6 Airbrush's now. I sold 5 off last week.[emoji50]

I am a brush junky and if I see someone do awesome with one I begin to think I need it. I would keep up with the 105, but also add a gravity detail brush into the mix. A Micron is an investment you will never regret. If you tend to like working larger than a Micron C plus would be a great choice. If you like smaller and more intricate detail than a Micron B or SB. If you don't want to spend on the more expensive than I would choose a HP-C or just a HP-CS. Or then you can be like me and one one of every brush. Just kidding I only own 6 Airbrush's now. I sold 5 off last week.[emoji50]

hehehehehe, airbrush junky... have six now, hehehehe, I have about 65 now, and they are just the ones I know I will use :), with the exception of one, Paasche Talon, that I will not sell, because I would not feel right burdening someone else with it lol:eek::mad:.

Back