Another frisket question

Jayhawk

Double Actioner
i did a search and found a lot of my question answered but still have a bit more. I was working on a poinsettia using Yupo and Comart paint. I want crisp edges from leaf to leaf and at first used tracing paper to cut masks for the individual leaves. I have a metal sheet on my table and use magnets to hold the piece and the masks. All went pretty well but I was having some fit up issues and I had a couple go south where the paint stuck to the mask under the magnets. I think the paint was "dry". So I got some Frisket, the gloss one, and thought that would help with the fit up issues since the Frisket is big enough to cover the whole piece.
The piece had been setting over 2 weeks in Florida so should have been as dry as it's going to get. I covered it with Frisket, cut out a couple pieces, and removed about a third of the paint when I lifted it off. bummer
I gather matte is less sticky than floss? I also didn't un-sticky it on my pants or arm first, another mistake.
Unresolved question is, using ComArt on Yupo maybe the paint doesn't really bond well?? I did clean the Yupo well with alachol before starting, and the temp here is around 80F and low humidity (AC works). I liked the Tupo because it scratches great but actually for this piece I don't really need it to. Any thoughts???

I like how you originally did it. But how about using clear sheet protectors instead of tracing paper. You can trace on them with fine point markers if need be. If you dont need to draw on it maybe wax paper masks?
Matte frisket is no less sticky than gloss.

Last edited:
you are not going to be able to use ANY adhesive backed product on top of painted Yupo without risk of lift off. You can look at Yupo wrong and scratch the paint :). I have used frisket with success on Yupo, but I did it by covering the entire piece, then removing one section at a time to paint, but never replaced any that I removed, just kept exposing more and more of the painting. I used paper shields to keep overspray off of the already exposed areas when needed.

That would probably work. I wanted the Frisket to bet the sharp edges. Once that is established I can probably lose it. Hated to ruin the original piece because the wife wanted to hang it as Christmas decoration but I guess that's how one learns. I assume it would be less likely to pull the paint on paper?

That would probably work. I wanted the Frisket to bet the sharp edges. Once that is established I can probably lose it. Hated to ruin the original piece because the wife wanted to hang it as Christmas decoration but I guess that's how one learns. I assume it would be less likely to pull the paint on paper?
I use Frisket all the time on Illustration board, Claybord, Gessobord, etc. Yupo, and other synthetic papers are a bit of a different animal, as there is no "tooth" for the paint to grab onto. Now, not all Friskets are created equal, and you kind of need to fool around with them to see which one works best for you. Some are too strong, some not strong enough, some hard to cut, some will leave a residue on the painted surface, etc... I prefer the brand called the "original frisket". It is a matte surface, and the paper backing has a blue grid printed on it. I find it to have the right amount of tack, and ease of cut.

This one was done on Yupo, and I did use frisket to mask it off as I worked. I removed most of the background to start, and then individual pieces to expose new areas to paint. I think I did 7 different sections (if I remember correctly), but I did not try to recover an area once it was exposed - the paint surely would have been peeled from the surface, as I had trouble just touching the painted surface without damaging the paint, till it had some time to fully cure.

14900508_1255186467857158_9004338630789041075_n.jpg

This was done on illustration board that I covered a few times with new pieces of Frisket, either in entirety, or in sections to work on new areas. I had very little to no trouble with paint lifting with the Frisket, although I did have some trouble with one brand leaving a little sticky residue behind - so I stopped using that one.

14910350_1255186471190491_7725554503437698602_n.jpg

wow, beautiful stuff! I'll see if I can find what you mentioned somewhere, thanks
hehehehe, just to further complicate things - or, add food for thought: If you are working on a surface like Yupo, and want to use masks, you can use paper masks held in place with magnets. Different kinds of paper will afford different results as far as edge sharpness, softness, etc. 20lb copy paper works one way, 60 or 90lb work differently, etc, coupled with where you place your magnets.

For the Holidays I am splurging on a decent sized magnetic white board, and a couple hundred rare earth magnets in different sizes and shapes to set up a new surface to work over. ;)

Yeah the plastic or wax paper would be a lot less likely to stick under the magnets I would think.
Though maybe it just wasn't dry when you were doing the magnet /mask thing
I haven't done the yupo thing so i'm not sure
Just used that method on metal.

hehehehe, just to further complicate things - or, add food for thought: If you are working on a surface like Yupo, and want to use masks, you can use paper masks held in place with magnets. Different kinds of paper will afford different results as far as edge sharpness, softness, etc. 20lb copy paper works one way, 60 or 90lb work differently, etc, coupled with where you place your magnets.

For the Holidays I am splurging on a decent sized magnetic white board, and a couple hundred rare earth magnets in different sizes and shapes to set up a new surface to work over. ;)
That's what he was doing originally. Idk maybe you've got an idea why his paint got messed up under the magnets...

Last edited:
Yeah the plastic or wax paper would be a lot less likely to stick under the magnets I would think.
Though maybe it just wasn't dry when you were doing the magnet /mask thing
I haven't done the yupo thing so i'm not sure
Just used that method on metal.

That's what he was doing originally. Idk maybe you've got an idea why his paint got messed up under the magnets...
Well, I read it that he allowed the mask and magnets to sit in place till the paint had dried to both. Been using this method for years, and have never run into the issue myself...

Well, I read it that he allowed the mask and magnets to sit in place till the paint had dried to both. Been using this method for years, and have never run into the issue myself...
All I could think of is it wasn't really dry when he placed the masks over the paint, for it to stick under the magnets to the mask.
But yeah that makes sense too of he was letting the paint dry to the mask.

Or maybe he got some underspray that stuck right in the crevice of where the magnets were holding the paper down best ?

Actually I thought the paint was dry before the paper. The pain had set about two weeks before I put frisket. The magnets might be a little strong,too. Nest time, once I've got paint down, only using hand held masks

Back