ANOTHER PAINT QUESTION

The brand doesn't matter, it is exactly the same no matter what the brand is, mine is "Care+" from the pharmacy, but yiu can also find it in bekers supply areas in super markets because its also used in baking, there is a goid chance your wife will have some in the kitchen, but be sure to ask her permission before taking it, lol if she doesnt have shell certainly know where to find it.

I also use my own made up brew of paint thinners in a dropper bottle, 2/3rd Distilled Water, 1/3rd IPA, 12-15 drops food grade Glycerin (which I got from a local cake shop).

I also make my own airbrush cleaner using 1/3rd Car Windscreen wash, 1/3rd IPA, 1/3rd Water or if you wanted a slightly stronger version, fill the bottle just under half of Car Windscreen wash, just under half IPA and top off with water.

I have had no issues with using any of it in my brush (H&S Evolution CRplus).

I also use my own made up brew of paint thinners in a dropper bottle, 2/3rd Distilled Water, 1/3rd IPA, 12-15 drops food grade Glycerin (which I got from a local cake shop).

I also make my own airbrush cleaner using 1/3rd Car Windscreen wash, 1/3rd IPA, 1/3rd Water or if you wanted a slightly stronger version, fill the bottle just under half of Car Windscreen wash, just under half IPA and top off with water.

I have had no issues with using any of it in my brush (H&S Evolution CRplus).

Do you know what percentage of glycerine you have in your mix?

I have to stick to paints I can thin with only water, thinning with anything else affects my already goosed lungs, even wearing a mask doesn't help since whatever is left in the air afterwards will also affect me, I have an 8oz bottle of iwata media airbrush cleaner think I paid £7.50 for it, it will probably last me a year or more since I don't normally need too much of it, maybe two drops per cleaning session, the rest I do with with just water.

Malky, not sure of the percentage of Glycerin, but I bought a couple of plastic dropper bottles (might be 150ml), and fill them up as described then at the end I use an eye-dropper pipette (bought from local Chemist - small brown Glass bottle with rubber bulb on end of Glass tube). I basically tip the little plastic Glycerin bottle over and stick the pipette inside and fill the tube, then count the drops into the mixture. Does not have to be precise but I roughly use about 15 drops, sometimes as high as 25.

But remember, once added you then have to give the mixture a real good shake to mix the ingredients up well.
By the way, the Car screen wash I used was Pre-mixed, but you can also use the neat stuff too. This lot is far cheaper to purchase than the paint company stuff and last ages to boot. I think the most expensive part was getting the IPA (99.9% proof) from Amazon.

HTH
Neil

Malky, not sure of the percentage of Glycerin, but I bought a couple of plastic dropper bottles (might be 150ml), and fill them up as described then at the end I use an eye-dropper pipette (bought from local Chemist - small brown Glass bottle with rubber bulb on end of Glass tube). I basically tip the little plastic Glycerin bottle over and stick the pipette inside and fill the tube, then count the drops into the mixture. Does not have to be precise but I roughly use about 15 drops, sometimes as high as 25.

But remember, once added you then have to give the mixture a real good shake to mix the ingredients up well.
By the way, the Car screen wash I used was Pre-mixed, but you can also use the neat stuff too. This lot is far cheaper to purchase than the paint company stuff and last ages to boot. I think the most expensive part was getting the IPA (99.9% proof) from Amazon.

HTH
Neil

How big is your bottle?, mine is 250 ml, and it is 5 cm at it's base and 19.5 cm from it's base to the very top of the spout, I filled that to (approximately) 200 ml then added 5% glycerine which is equivalent to two teaspoons filled level up to it's edge without running over, leaving me with a total of 210 ml.

The reason I asked if you knew the percentage of glycerine is to see if I can add a little more to mine without it harming the integrity of the paint, I know that if too much is added the paint won't dry at all, but I've never seen it documented anywhere how much is too much, as well as helping with tip dry the glycerine also helps flow.

How big is your bottle?, mine is 250 ml, and it is 5 cm at it's base and 19.5 cm from it's base to the very top of the spout, I filled that to (approximately) 200 ml then added 5% glycerine which is equivalent to two teaspoons filled level up to it's edge without running over, leaving me with a total of 210 ml.

The reason I asked if you knew the percentage of glycerine is to see if I can add a little more to mine without it harming the integrity of the paint, I know that if too much is added the paint won't dry at all, but I've never seen it documented anywhere how much is too much, as well as helping with tip dry the glycerine also helps flow.

Just checked my bottles and ones I use for Thinners are 100ml (I bought 10 off Amazon), the ones for Cleaning the brush are 250ml (bought 2).
For the 'Thinners' I basically fill to the start of the neck and add 12 drops or so of Glycerin. As you say, adding too much will make the paint take a long time to dry out, but the amount I add is probably just enough to help paint flow through the brush and hopefully little interaction with the paint.
I did lots of research on the 'net' and looked at loads of youtube videos on home recipes, and settled with those I listed, being clean and relatively safe (being extra careful with handling IPA).

Just checked my bottles and ones I use for Thinners are 100ml (I bought 10 off Amazon), the ones for Cleaning the brush are 250ml (bought 2).
For the 'Thinners' I basically fill to the start of the neck and add 12 drops or so of Glycerin. As you say, adding too much will make the paint take a long time to dry out, but the amount I add is probably just enough to help paint flow through the brush and hopefully little interaction with the paint.
I did lots of research on the 'net' and looked at loads of youtube videos on home recipes, and settled with those I listed, being clean and relatively safe (being extra careful with handling IPA).

Excellent, so I could get away with a little more:)

I use basically the same recipe but instead of IPA I use de-natured alcohol. In Canada it is called Methyl Hydrate. It is the same stuff that is used in the alcohol stoves for boating and tenting. It is also used in Gas line antifreeze and other related stuff for colder climates.
I just use it as a cleaner, so I do not add glycerin. I did try it as reducer, but using only Createx, the 4012 is the bomb. I mix 1/3 alcohol to 2/3 distilled water. Works great. Even though it is not as toxic (for a lack of better words) as IPA, You still should mask up ...

what is IPA? is this Isopropanol (Propan-2-ol) as I have a 1lt bottle Industrial just wondering as my Vallejo airbrush cleaner has nearly gone.

I have badger airbrush cleaner as well so when it's all gone I will be making my own
Beginner-James

what is IPA? is this Isopropanol (Propan-2-ol) as I have a 1lt bottle Industrial just wondering as my Vallejo airbrush cleaner has nearly gone.

I have badger airbrush cleaner as well so when it's all gone I will be making my own
Beginner-James
Isopropyl alcohol. Yeah same thing mate

Back