anybody made their own compressor

If you are still working on this, I just posted some pics of the one I just made. Make sure you have an emergency blow off rated less than the max tank rating. I case the pressure limit switch fails this ensure the tank will not over fill and explode. Also look into check valves to keep tank pressure from backfeeding into piston and cause pressure lock which can burn up your motor when it starts up. I posted pictures of mine for reference. in the new thread I posted today. Good luck.

Built this one over 5 years ago and still works like a charm. :)
2013-02-24 13.40.40.jpg2013-02-24 13.40.25.jpg2013-02-24 13.40.10.jpg
Last week I made another one. Not finished yet but it works just fine!It is a two motor setup and a bigger tank.
Still need to make some platform to bolt the two comps. on and the tank above them.
For all you guys building this type of comp always put the comp. under the tank.
Use a gas filter as the oil seperator.
P1270094.JPGP1270093.jpg
Sitni

atex-albums-misc-picture16191-my-diy-compressor.jpg

Just finised this one yesterday. Works fine and quiet enough to airbrush drunk friends while the're sleeping:smile-new:
But there's some moments to make clear. Few minutes after the compressor started its sound changes to more ringing.
What is it? Is it lack of oil or it's oKay for for the sound to change sound when the pressure grows? And also I want to put some unloading valve bot the seller said that the air would be escaping so i need to d osomething with it or find something more suitable. On one forum i read that some part from air conditioner can be used as unloading valve but don't remember what exactly and can't find this forum again.
2btreize, have you managed to modify the valve by reducing the spring?

Some pressure switches comes with an unloader valve built right on them that are actuated by the switch as soon as soon as it switches off the compressor when the desired maximum pressure is reached.

When I did mine, I used an old compressor, so as whitenight said, it came with a built in unloader. Only issue I have sometimes is the check valve in the tank won't seat all the way when the compressor shuts off and will bleed air out the unloader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I did mine, I used an old compressor, so as whitenight said, it came with a built in unloader. Only issue I have sometimes is the check valve in the tank won't seat all the way when the compressor shuts off and will bleed air out the unloader.

I get the same issue with the check valve (its a spring type) I was thinking of changing it for a flap type :)

Some years ago i find this pic on the net.Very handy, qiuck tool and the sound silent under low pressure..:) Best homemade stuff what ever seen.komp 600.jpg

That's a nice setup here :)
Actually the noise you hear is when the compressor starts. I get it too and it stops after 30 secs to 1 minute.
As for the unloader valve it is a very important part here as it will remove any pressure in your line prior to the next fill up of the tank. Failing to install one will only force your compressor to fight against the pressure in the line between your non-return valve and the compressor output line.
I tweaked mine by replacing it with a weaker spring or if you cannot get a weaker spring that fits into the valve, just cut it bit by bit and tests by test to see.
the small CFM of fridge compressors will not trigger the unloader valve delivered with pressure switches found on the market..talking about here where i live.

I get the same issue with the check valve (its a spring type) I was thinking of changing it for a flap type :)

Mine is actually screwed into the tank, the fitting going to the unloader is above it, as well as the air coming into the tank. I thought about replacing it , I just can't seem to find the right size, only ones that would need another bushing. As I use it more and leave it on, I installed an outlet valve at the tank, and keep pressure in it, it doesn't happen anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back