For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Anyone been to a airbrushaction getaway?

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Tocean, May 1, 2018.

1. Tocean

Tocean Gravity Guru

Thinking of going to the orlando airbrush getaway starting May 16th, any one else going? I've been screwing around on and off(more than often off) with a airbrush for 20 years and it's been a frustrating ride with limited time, limited funds, and limited space.
    Things have changed recently and with some time and effort I felt I've got to a point where I'm spraying a lot more than I'm cleaning, and ready to take the next step. Figuring a 4 day class or at least the one day class would be beneficial than trying to learn on my own.
    Was thinking on taking the t-shirt class, I have a beachy cartoony style I'm trying for and think it could fit in at the beach or festivals and maybe event towards water sports(scuba) apparel(I know this would be a tough nut to crack). Wondering if there's still a business for this as there's so many option now a days between simple steam ons(that have been around since the 70's) and sites that will print anything on everything now, will it get to a point where you can do it yourself with your printer?(they have this now but they don't work that great). Anything else I'm not thinking about?

Just kicking around ideas, business is it's own runaway animal so trying to think things through. Like to get advise from people that have experience in the field.
  2. huskystafford

huskystafford Mac-Valve Maestro!

My 2 cents. I hope someone with more knowledge about this topic will chime in.
    t-shirt+speed=money
    If you are doing it on festivals here is how looks live:

This guy doesn't airbrush, he poops out those t-shirts and hats lol He just throw them out of his body :D

More and more people are using portable vinyl cutters so they can make t-shirts at festivals. That would be your competition also I guess...

I would say it all depends of your business model. For example, I don't like to be surrounded with a lot of people looking at my fingers what I am doing -.-
    So if I wanna airbrush t-shirts I have online business model left. Which has it's own problems. Competing against screen printers, vinyl cutters, heat tranfers, dtg and I probably forgot someone. Each business model has it's own pros and cons, but as I see, speed and quantity gives you money. You can't get enough money with selling few t-shirts per day.

If you go to online waters, marketing is the most important thing. If people can't find you, they can't buy your stuff. You also need niche, so you know who you gonna target. I would assume there is some marketing involved when people airbrush at malls and festivals -.-

But if we talk about branding, that is a whole new beast on a whole new level. How you gonna compete with brands which invest millions in marketing and branding.

The most important part is that knowledge is the thing which you will have until you die. So every investment in your knowledge time and money wise is a very good investment. I would say investing in classes is very wise decision and fun one as well I would guess. But cause I don't know those classes and I didn't see them, I will wait for others to say hi in this thread and give their opinions.

Ether way, you can make yourself and your loved ones, the best hard core t-shirts which no one can buy on the whole world :)

edit: here is another t-shirt artist which I like, but I know he doesn't do just t-shirts, so his business model is different. And I am wondering how many t-shirts of that complexity you can produce per a day and for how much you can sell one and how much would be total per day. Just wondering...
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Tocean, doc1 and Robbyrockett2 like this.
  3. Robbyrockett2

Robbyrockett2 Air-Valve Autobot!

As big as it used to be, its not so much anymore. Theres an airbrush t-shirt place in Daytona beach thats managed to stay in business but they also sell swimwear. Theres one in a walmart in Orlando. That said, those are full time shops so you might do allright with t-shirts at events. Impulse buys are great for AB'ing since the creation is instant. Bike week and biketoberfest are a couple where there basically cant be enough vendors, money flows like water and no matter what service you provide there is way more demand then supply. I would get good at hand script lettering and collect an absolute buttload of stencils.
    Think bout having a few pre-printed designs about the particular event that you can personalize on the spot.

One other loosely formed idea, If you can snag an hvlp turbine sprayer (practically non existant overspray ,mobile repair guys use them in parking lots) and maybe a little mini-booth and get decent doing clearcoat with it , youd be in demand at events where yourself or any other AB artists do any designs on hard surfaces.

Just some ideas

As the classtime goes, time with a teacher/other artists always invaluable. Imagine spending 4 days with 10 people from this forum where you can share ideas and see things happening in real time!
    Tocean and huskystafford like this.
  4. huskystafford

I edit my post while you were posting. Was wondering how many t-shirts per day can be produced like the ones on the last video.
  5. Robbyrockett2

@huskystafford , I didnt even think about this before but the HVLP turbines might be an option for your clearing after youre commited. theyre expensive
  6. huskystafford

one more thing. On first video you see a guy mixes airbrushing and heat transfers so he can be faster...
  7. huskystafford

what is hvlp turbine? Sounds like I am buying an airplane jet lollollol
    Robbyrockett2 likes this.
  8. Robbyrockett2

Who knows, I've seen some crazy fast tshirt artists. I will likely never work that fast.
    huskystafford likes this.
  9. huskystafford

I am checking those turbines on e bay. They look like mini compressors :)
  10. Robbyrockett2

11. huskystafford

12. Robbyrockett2

No more so than a vacuum cleaner, some are quieter.
  13. Robbyrockett2

Ive seen them used, never used one yet. When I was shopping one I was told at ;east 3 stage and that fuji was awesome.
    Anyways I'll leave that alone and try not to derail this thread too far too long
  14. huskystafford

I bookmarked your link for reference and I already found a dealer in my country for the same fuji model. I am gonna think about this. Thx for the info, very use full. Sry OP cause we hijacked your thread a little, but we did contribute to the thread also a little :D
  15. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I can highly recommend a class. It raises your game no m atter what skill level of type of class you take. Cant be specific about tshirt classes but im sure whatever class you take will enhance your airbrushing skills.

lee
  16. huskystafford

Forgot to mention. His primary thing is body painting. Yea, yea I am looking at you Robbyrockett2 lol

And don't go watch his videos with girls on his channel now :D
  17. Robbyrockett2

Good point, body painting (to some extent) and temp AB tattoos are hot, hot , hot for events. You can't have that printed (and it's fun too)
  18. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Gravity Guru

The speed and precision of the t-shirt guys still makes me shake my head. Their scripting is something to behold. Most of the big name airbrushers started out as t-shirt guys. I can't script to save my life. I'm not into that high-pressure-cooker-booth in front of tons of people life.
  19. huskystafford

Just like Robby mentioned. I would assume that with body painting, while there is halloween you can make some serious cash and you can make it fast. Don't know what else you guys in states celebrate(valentine? etc..), but if you don't mind working those. I did remember, that my cousin from different country then I am living in, he did send me pictures of his 2 kids with airbrushed tattooes. And his kids love them. So I would assume if you target kids so the parents get nightmares if they don't buy from you, there could be a lot of money for you :)

But if we talking about t-shirts exclusively my favorites by order:
    1) Terry hill(just cause he is a legend, no other reason-bought few videos from him)

2)Mike Flores (I love how modest this guy is and he is very practical) Also got very good starters tutorials

3)Diego Diablo (Another modest artist. Started airbrushing cause of his videos for new artists about what equipment to use) He wasn't on you tube much, he did a lot of twitch streaming, but this year he up-ed the game full throttle and he posts almost one or two videos per week. No cuts, he also streams those videos on you tube. Just like with Mike Flores, Diego Diablo will answer your questions and he will also try to make project which you would like to see. For example: Mike flores and Diego Diablo both did videos when I requested nicely about how to airbrush on black t-shirt.

4)Kent Lind - good artist, but damn his videos are short. I bought one which was very use full, but I didn't bother to buy another one. They are just to short for my taste. I rather patron Diego Diablo and he would do the project which I would pick. Not limited only to t-shirts. Or I rather but six pack with paypal to Mike Flores. Both deserve it.

5)Gary Worthington - good and very versatile artist. Has few tricks in his sleave. I bought one video from him(he used bleech in video), not bad at all.

I know this is not info about airbrush getaway, but maybe it will help you at least a little with your journey.
    Tocean and doc1 like this.
  20. huskystafford

*Or I rather buy six pack with paypal to Mike Flores. Both deserve it.