For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Anyone use Save Tee Fixative

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by Leakyvalve, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Young Tutorling

Looking to get a good intercoat safety layer for my Candy2O.

Dave from Coast has mentioned it a few times. It's only sold there. The information on it is pretty poor at best. I was wondering how well a single can covered, how resistant the product was to chemicals and actual feedback from others who have used it.

Also if anyone has something they think is a good bulletproof intercoat let me know. I refuse to use anything water based.
  2. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

What surface are you painting on. Save Tee is not something available in the uk, but I was under the impression it was a fabric sealer??

Edit - erroneous info deleted due to new guidelines given by createx.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. Airbrush Dreams

Airbrush Dreams Detail Decepticon!

Save T is for any surface that is not going to be heat set. It's for leather, silk, cotton, canvas and other textile type surfaces even Vinyl. It is not to be an inter coat clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://fredaw61.wixsite.com/the-artist
  4. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Needle-chuck Ninja

When I work with the Candy 2o I prefer to use 4004 Wicked Trans. Base. There's a great video on the Createx's website on working with the Candies and they use this method. As well later this year Createx will be releasing the new 4040 Non reactive barrier. The 4040 also doesn't need any reduction. It works well, but I still prefer to use the 4004 until they're finished tweaking it.
    Hope this helps .. Take care
  5. Leakyvalve

I called Coast and the guy was all about how amazing 4030 is. I WILL NOT USE A WATER BASED INTERCOAT /CLEARCOAT..EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4030/4004 has it's uses I'm sure, but I'm not doing candy coats over silver bases, which seems to be what they always bang on about.

The water based intercoats have very very little margin for error. Since you are using the same chemicals the paint is made from, you are basically reactivating all those underlayers and if anything goes wrong... well it's taking your paint with it. It happened with a piece I had 40+ hours into. Completely destroyed...but my gut told me DO NOT USE the water based intercoat. And I did testing to see if I could get it to work. Well what worked in my limited testing DID NOT work on my artwork.
  6. Ricky Spanish

I agree with 100% with 4030 as an inter coat... It reactivates when used in multiply layers. This is the reason why they rebranded as an "additive" to candy. I had this issue with my "Joker" welding mask. I accidentally removed layers of paint because of the "inter coat" reactivating when I removed the tape. But the 4004 will not as I have used it and the 4040 on the "candied skull" welding mask. I not only used it to prevent "bleeding", but also used it as a protective barrier for the Pearl basecoat for when I masked off an area.Refer to Createx's website technical videos " Candy 2o and True fire with Craig Fraser". Mr. Fraser goes into detail why and how to avoid "bleeding".
  7. Leakyvalve

I watched those videos many times before I ever had Candy2O.

I used some 4004, but I don't know how old it was. With Createx re-working their chemicals, it sure didn't look like the Wicked Base I also have.

Also, those videos don't show COMPLEX works of art. Artwork that might have 6-10 layers of candies, and highlights, and bases, and corrections. You really want to risk of that hoping it's not gonna start separating and re-melting and activating because that's what you are doing when you spray an intercoat that is all based on the same exact chemicals designed to "melt" into each other. You get ONE chance to get it right.
  8. Squishy

Ricky you beat me to it. I was unaware of the changes in Createx position on 4030. The advice has been changed. You need it to dry the candy but transbase 4004 is now the recommended intercoat - info from Bryan Sande.

Leakyvalve if you don't want to use water based, then you are left with uros. You haven't said what your surface is, unless I missed it, but a 1k should do. If you are going to want to use it as a top coat clear too then I would just go with 2k, harder, better uv protection etc, and may as well just use one product. As I say depends on surface.

By the way, intentional or not leakyvalve, the caps are coming off as pretty aggressive. Just my opinion, but don't really see the need. Maybe use italics for emphasis instead, caps are shouty lol.

@Airbrush Dreams thanks for confirming my thoughts on Save Tee. Sounds good, wish we did have it here.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Ricky Spanish and Malky like this.
  9. Leakyvalve

Surface is prepped aluminum panel. I'm sorry I don't speak like a Vulcan. The Human in me wants to emphasize a word or 2, I'm sorry if that is aggressive to you.
  10. Squishy

People are trying to help you dude, so don't want to feel shouted at, no biggie.

Never thought of myself as a Vulcan before lol, my ears are more Ferengi.

With an Ali panel would just use clearcoat , will give depth to the paint too.
  11. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Elite Member! Very Likeable!

My teeth are more Ferengi, could we be related?, I did have pointy ears but they broke with all the shouting :):):)
    Squishy likes this.
  12. Squishy

Its possible, are your eyebrows reminiscent of a pair of caterpillars squaring up to each other too?
  13. Malky

They're more like two camels going at it good style, but I'm male of courseo_O
    Squishy likes this.
  14. Squishy

Yeah my camel humpers have grown lower as a moustache, but I bleach them so as long as you don't come closer than 100 feet you probably wouldn't notice....much.
  15. Malky

Now I have just covered my brother in iron bru:eek:lollollol
    Squishy likes this.
  16. Squishy

lol iron bru - made with girders. That's some hit to take :D
  17. Malky

That's what he said:confused::)
  18. Ricky Spanish

You'll be fine with that many layers... The candied skulls I did... Had at least 8 layers of 4004.
    1st to protect the Pearl base coat
    2nd to protect the candy mid coat
    And the other 5 were to prevent bleeding when I did the main skull mural with opaque white and then black candy used in layers. In the end .. It came out crystal clear when I threw 2k to it.
    Squishy likes this.
  19. Squishy

Ricky did you find a quick coat of 4004 enough, or did you need a few layers? Also did you find you needed heat to help the candy cure? I've been messing around a little and found it isn't drying well. Its cold and damp so not sure if its just the weather, or if its just the paint needs a bit of help. Thanks for letting me pick your brains, my lonely brain cell needs a boost lol.
  20. Ricky Spanish

I find 2-3light coats should do.
    I tend to reduce it when I spray through my brush as well. 25-50% reduction for a .50mm. When I push it through an HVLP 1.4mm it's an 10-25% reduction... That's what I find easiest. I find just using the air flow from gun/ab is easiest. I personally dislike using a heat gun because it may trap moisture in the underlying layers. Wait about 10-20 minutes for it to gas off. I'm looking at my Wicked Trans. Base and the number is different from the Createx site? It's 0200 Wicked Trans. Base... Funny... My bad. It should still do the same thing seeing as they are both binders meant for the Wicked line.
    What are you kind of reduction are you reducing the candy20 with?
    I tend to do 7 parts candy, 3 parts balancing clear and 3-5 parts high performance reducer if that helps. That's for my BCS and about 30-40 psi.
    No worries about picking my brain ;) I like to try and help... Plus ... No one I know likes to talk about airbrushing( and when they do... They glaze over in the first 2 minutes lol
    Hope that helps a bit Squishy :)