Artool Carbon Fiber FX Warpage

otpowell

Double Actioner
I bought this template for 30 bucks... First time using it and it warped as soon a I started spraying paint on it. Kind of feels like cardboard or paper or absorbent material. Is this normal for it to warp so much? I thought since it was 30 bucks it would at least be like a regular stencil that doesn't warp. I haven't tried me texture fx mini cosmic template yet, hope that's doesn't warp like this one, although it shouldn't matter much with the cosmic one cuz it's a random texture template.. With this carbon fiber, I really need it to lay flat. Is this normal or is this material just cheap? Anyone else have this problem?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360530044.384255.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1360530091.084075.jpg

I looked at that set. I would write to artool and ask them . Me, I would think that you would want the stencil to stay flat and not wrap. So I would save no it is not right..
Again call or write Artool .

Thanks Herb.. I was Hoping you would see this post. I sprayed some windshield washer fluid on it like I do after I use a template to clean. And it warped even more and felt like it absorbed it. It feels like paper or cardboard does when you get it wet. I dried it off with my heat gun and it is now under a couple pieces of heavy metal. I doubt it will help straighten it out. I think it requires a little more force like bending it in the opposite direction.

I don't know about it being normal to warp or not, but the thing looks like excrement, the holes are way too far apart and it wouldn't produce a very realistic carbon fibre effect, certainly not without re-situating it several times, and even then you'de have to be pretty damn accurate.

You be better and cheaper using the anti-slip foam rubber matting Ed Hubbs uses, I managed to find some of it here in Holland for less than 2 dollars for a piece about four times the size of the thing you have there.

You be better and cheaper using the anti-slip foam rubber matting Ed Hubbs uses, I managed to find some of it here in Holland for less than 2 dollars for a piece about four times the size of the thing you have there.

I couldn't agree more Madbrush... There are stencils that are essential for my tool box, but the vast majority of effects can be created by other means if you think outside the box (as mentioned above). Usually, it works out cheaper as well!

I have the non slip mat too. I had a problem because the non slip wasn't laying flat against my canvas. It as my first time so I didn't know it would look inconsistent. I guess I'll use something to push it down with my right hand while airbrushing with the left hand. I don't really care if it looks like real carbon fiber, just like the checkered pattern to tell the truth.

If you're working on a magnetic metal surface you can use magnets to hold the mat down. If not, you can use a temp. spray adhesive as an alternative to your hand. Either way works though... good luck!

Spray adhesive I have leaves a residue. It's easy tack from 3m I believe. I bought some magnetic paint.. Found out that you have to put like 30 heavy coats on in order for it to have enough magnetism.. Next, maybe a thin piece of steel to put on my paint board.. Thanks for the suggestions all!

I use a spray adhesive made by Krylon. Not sure exactly which one it is (not at the shop right now), but I buy it at a local Hobby Lobby and have never had issues with it leaving residue behind. Will try and remember to write it down tomorrow.

Spray adhesive I have leaves a residue. It's easy tack from 3m I believe. I bought some magnetic paint.. Found out that you have to put like 30 heavy coats on in order for it to have enough magnetism.. Next, maybe a thin piece of steel to put on my paint board.. Thanks for the suggestions all!

I work on a magnetic white board, you can get one of these for about 30 dollars maybe even less, mine is 4.5 ft X 3 ft and cost $45, the magnets that are supplied with it are very weak and you need around 20 to hold one piece of A3 paper, but I strip the magnets out of my old burnt out electric motors and one small magnet 12 mm long, 2 mm thick and 6 mm wide will hold the same piece of paper and more.

But if I want to do carbon fibre on paper I wrap the paper around my pedal bin and then wrap the mat around that and tape it, job jobbed.

Also if you don't care if the carbon fibre looks real, save money on stencils and mats and just lob a can of silver paint at your paper from across the room, lol, I want my carbon fibre to look real because it is usually going onto something that has real carbon fibre on it, like my helicopter canopies.

I used these guys once on fleabay
deltaarts | eBay

I usually prefer to use things around the house, and didn't want to pay for expensive stencils, but I wanted some gears cos I couldn't be bothered to cut them out myself. These are from Poland, and I have no idea how they compare to expensive stencils, but was a fraction of the price, worked great, laid flat, didn't warp and cleaned well. I haven't tried any of their other products, but the stencil was great and good value too.

It says solvent proof right on the package.. View attachment 10566

Yes they are but it's not mylar. All their mylar stencils are printed on with the name and product code. The cardboard ones are not. Is the one side all scorched along the edges? That means they are laser cut and not the same way all the others are. I actually thought all stencils were cut by laser.

Back