AS186 Oil - Moisture Trap

Chris g

Double Actioner
Hi,

I'm looking for some help.

Despite thinking I've been draining the tank every so often I was a bit surprised to see some orange / brown flecks in the moisture trap.

In the pic on the middle of the 'temp' line and to the right of the line and at the bottom of the bowl (the bottom looks worse than it is because of reflections and the brass ring).

Filter Bowl.jpg

Question is, how can I take the bowl off to clean it ? It doesn't seem to want to unscrew and feels like really thin plastic so I'm a bit reluctant to try to much force. So before I try a lump hammer and chisel, anybody know if it does unscrew ?

Thanks

Chris

If it is like my silent air 50 it should unscrew. But I have been told that some oil will seep in the water trap during break in .

Quick update, I managed to get the bowl off.

It was really tight and difficult to get a grip so I did need to use a strap wrench, (Thanks for the suggestion Brian).

The orange stains looked like the rusty water from the tank drying on the bowl. The brown / black flecks in the bottom of the bowl seemed to be tiny bits of rusty metal. I was a bit puzzled as rusty water in the tank didn't have any specs in it.

Looking at Andre's pic, (thanks this was really useful), I took the rest of the moisture trap apart and found out that the spring was rusty, particularly at the ends and I'm pretty sure this is where the flecks came from.

I've cleaned everything up and all seems OK.

I generally don't do much painting in the winter so, next time I'm not going to use the compressor for a while I'll strip it down and make sure its all dry.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back