auto air aluminum base

P

PaintThrower

How is it going, I am painting an RC body with auto air brite candy blue, because it is an RC body the paint order is reversed and I am trying to get as much information about shooting the auto air aluminum base (I have not used this under a candy yet). The questions I have are:

After shooting the aluminum base should I put a silver or black sealer down and what are the pros and cons?

For a 1:10 scale RC body should I use fine, medium, or course? ( I understand this will be a preference thing but input from others is always nice)

Will a airbrush with a 0.5 needle be sufficient to shoot all 3 types of aluminum base?

Is there a big difference between shooting a silver metallic or the aluminum base under a candy color?

Thank you!

I would shoot in this order
1. Shoot candy
2. shoot a clear base cote (keeps any bleeding from happening )
3.Shoot your Aluminum cote
4. Shoot a white over the Aluminum

I would shoot in this order
1. Shoot candy
2. shoot a clear base cote (keeps any bleeding from happening )
3.Shoot your Aluminum cote
4. Shoot a white over the Aluminum
Thank you, that was the order I am going in, right now I have the candy color and an inter coat shot. What I was curious about was shooting the aluminum base. This is a one shot one kill situation because stripping all the paint from the RC body almost seems impossible with all the small nooks and crannies. I have never used auto air aluminum base when shooting a candy color so I am trying to get information on that paint specifically so I can make an informed decision if I should try using aluminum base under it or go with what I normally do.

Is there a benefit of using white as a base to the aluminum over black or silver. (Auto Air TDS states to use black under it.)

Also will a 0.5 tip be good without significant clogging (Again the TDS just states large tip airbrush.)

I appreciate it for the reply. I am eventually going to get the aluminum base and play with it anyway, I want to try this on the RC body but it is a project for someone else so trying new things to just play with is not the best of ideas.

The white base helps the alum. show up brighter if you use a black base it darken's the alum.

I haven't used auto air aluminium base, but I have used Wicked metallics which I would say are comparable to the fine base. They work fine through a .5 with a little higher pressure than I would usually use. I think the medium might go through at high pressure but with some coughing, sputtering and quite a lot of persuading. And I think the coarse won't want to play at all. However this is just my best guess, based on how the Wicked performs.

I appreciate all of your input. What I normally do is shoot a metallic silver\gold\white under candies. Is there more of a color pop with candies using the aluminum base instead of a metallic? (This is why I was contemplating using the aluminum over the normal process I use) If there is not a noticeable difference I might just go with what I normally do, and down the road use aluminum base on another project

Like basepaint and squishy said, but i would like to add that the course aluminium needs to go through a spray gun, the fine aluminium will be fine and you will probably get away with the medium as long as you up the pressure but its a trial and error thing so test it out on something else first.

Lee

I personally prefer gold under red, so if that's the colour you're thinking of using, it might be worth considering.

I personally prefer gold under red, so if that's the colour you're thinking of using, it might be worth considering.
I agree I used gold under candy apple red for a Detroit Red Wings goalie helmet I did. I liked it so much I am currently doing another one for my basement. But on the RC, I am using brite blue candy

Back