Auto Air and True Fire

J

joydon

Hi everyone. I've been looking and experimenting with different "formulas" to create realistic fire effects. I've seen a number of methods, many using urethane based paints, some using water based. Today I'm going to give Shani's method a try. Does anyone here have experience with this using Createx Auto Air? Any tips?

Thanks

Don

Hi auto air is all I use.
I have found that I need to reduce them a bit even though they say that the transparents can be used as is.
Starting with a black base is always the easiest way as you start with transparent white then color on top then layer another white then color and so on. And remember there is no hard and fast rules with flames.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, good tips. I've been experimenting with the process you just mentioned. It's the best approach I've seen so far. I started a new project today and will finish it tomorrow (just a learning project). I'm using a lot of candy colours and I'm starting to get the feel of how they behave. I'm finding I need 7 or 8 layers of some colours to get the right effect. Anyways, having a blast learning this.

Don

Hey Don,

If you are using waterbased paints have a look for a video by Svee, he does a true fire with Wicked I think, another few to look for by Jody Barrio in which he uses E'tac, he does great free hand real flames. there is also a 'how to' pdf on the E'tac home site and I think Auto Air have one as well outlining the steps they use.
hth,
Mick.

Hey there. I watched Svee's video on true fire yesterday. Lots of good stuff. I'm learning a bit from the various approaches people take and I'm starting to get slightly better results. I'm finding the biggest challenge is using the Candy colors. After watching Auto Air's video on their Candies, I'm now adding a small amount of transparent base which really helps prevent bleeding and nastiness. I still find I need to go very light for the first 2 - 3 coats, but overall I'm getting better results with this method.

Don

Back