auto air durability

K

kylegabbert

How durable are auto air and wicked colors? I have about 25 bottles, and I have a few bottles of HOK. I'm wondering if it is worth switching over to urethane paints, or are the auto air durable enough to use on things that get handled on a daily basis, i.e. game controllers, yeti cups, things like that.

You clear over it with urethane anyway, so durability of the paint should be an issue. I see a lot of people doing very high end work on cars and bikes with Auto Air.

Almost all US made cars are painted with water borne paints these days , Than Urethane clear coated over ,They hold up great.
I have thing I have painted years ago which sit all day in the weather and no color fade or anything else has happened.

Just finished these up with wicked colors! Came out pretty good!

Attachments

• 20160515_212746.jpg
    20160515_212746.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 21
@Mr.Micron How familiar are you with auto air sealer? I used auto air sealer white on this with no problem, but on another shell, I did a few layers of various colors with wicked paints, and then did the top layer with sealer white. After it was all dry, the sealer seemed to not stick at all the the colors underneath, and I was able to scratch the sealer off using my nail and almost no pressure at all

Attachments

• 20160515_212728.jpg
    20160515_212728.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 21
The sealer is used as a primer. It sticks to plastics really well and gives the wicked great tooth to stick to. I also tried the reverse (not on purpose) and it didnt work very well. I find it to be chalky if used as an actual paint...
Hope this explains it...
Cheers

That explained it perfectly, it was chalky for me as well. Thanks!

Back