2k paint 2pack paint

• 2k paint

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Automotive airbrushing

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
G

GeeDonV

I have bought a 2k paint Made by Alesco paint maker and also the 2k clear coat that comes in package with hardener,and the primer.. As for now. I only have two kind of colour which is black and white. My questions is
1.What will be the best way for me to experimenting the paint with airbrush
2. What would be the best practice along the process of experimenting as i am just a beginner in airbrushing
3. Is the 2k paint suit to be painted on other surfaces other than automotive?
Thanks for any helping answer..

You being a beginner to airbrush 2K is not the way to go .
Why , You need a proper paint booth. The ISO's in 2k are higher then in other systems . Any polyurethane has ISO's which mean full suit , Paint booth with full filter system and a mask rated for use with 2k.
2k must have both parts mixed which limits you pot time .
Being this it your first post and we know nothing about you . Like where you live , what airbrushes and other equipment you have and what is your end goal.
2k is designed for hard surface painting . That being said you can seal , prime , base coat , clear coat , art work (with any paint rated for use) then final clear.

So now where you from?
Do you have full paint booth with filter system to protect you , your neighbors and your family from ISO's
If not do not do use it .

To paint with airbrush you need 1k urethane paint. It's also called 2 stage paint or base coat which means you need to cover it further with a clear coat.
As said above, once activated 2K paint has very limited time to work with, so it will not work, while 1K paint will work for a long time. I have urethanes that were bought years ago and it's OK with them, I only pour some thinner in the cups with the paint from time to time as it vapors.

1. for 2k you don't use an airbrush, you use a spray gun. Airbrush is for detail work not for large scale application.

2. Walk before you try running. Load your airbrush with airbrush paint and start practicing your dots and daggers and artwork.

3. Don't use it. I value my life and those around me. Find a professional spray painter and get them to do it. It should be factored into the cost of any commission you do so it's a no brainer

Now how about that introduction with where you are and what paint and hardware you're currently using :)

Last edited:
What @Mr.Micron said - 2k is a serious product that requires serious gear and health protection for you and the people around you. Don't spray it in the house or any area attached to the house and outside isn't suitable either, neighbours, etc. There are a few conversations around about it and you can look up the toxicity information on them easy enough.

Automotive paint is not made to go through an airbrush so it is likely to be problematic. Unless you have a specific use for the paint I'd consider returning it sealed and getting you money back then spending said money on a suitable airbrush paint to learn on. Com-art, Createx, golden, HOK to learn first.

Now, to assist you with an introduction, here is the link to the intro page. http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

Big thanks for all the helpful reply from all of you..

You being a beginner to airbrush 2K is not the way to go .
Why , You need a proper paint booth. The ISO's in 2k are higher then in other systems . Any polyurethane has ISO's which mean full suit , Paint booth with full filter system and a mask rated for use with 2k.
2k must have both parts mixed which limits you pot time .
Being this it your first post and we know nothing about you . Like where you live , what airbrushes and other equipment you have and what is your end goal.
2k is designed for hard surface painting . That being said you can seal , prime , base coat , clear coat , art work (with any paint rated for use) then final clear.

So now where you from?
Do you have full paint booth with filter system to protect you , your neighbors and your family from ISO's
If not do not do use it .

Im from Malaysia, and currently i own a 3M face mask, but i dont own a proper spray booth... And i am using a Taiwanese made airbrush as for now. It was hard to find a good airbrush equipment here,even when it comes to get the paint that made for airbrushing like createx etc.. Any idea or suggestions would be awesome. Thanks

a 'face mask' of any description is not enough for 2k, you need a full blown respirator.
You will need to find airbrush appropriate paint, it doesn't have to be createx, its just that its one of the more popular brands and hence more likely to be available.

Is 1k paint suit the requirements if its thinned correctly for airbrushing?

Is 1k paint suit the requirements if its thinned correctly for airbrushing?

Yes, it is. It's better to use slow thinner due to less tip dry.
I use urethanes only.

And always wear charcoal filter respirator, no matter how well your working area is ventilated. As I remember, you need A type filters from 3M, but check that up on their site. And the sellers can help you, ask about organic vapors protection. 3M cartridges have the same appearance but different type of protection due to environment they are supposed to be used in.
Filters I use are easily found at the shops selling goods for automotive refinishing. But there can be also cheaper masks there that work the same good. I find our local mask more convenient for me and I can wear it for days without issues. I also have one top of the range from 3M, but I don't like it as no matter how tension is adjusted I have red line on my nose after using it. I think I'll buy another cheaper mask from 3M, maybe that one will suit me.
But the charcoal filter mask is a MUST for any user of the urethanes!

For now im actually painting on fabric and paper. I am still learning..

Well for now I would suggest concentrating on what you have easy access to. There is plenty of time for 1k & 2k. By the time you're ready for it you will have a better understanding of what is required for those products

I use urethanes only.

And always wear charcoal filter respirator, no matter how well your working area is ventilated. As I remember, you need A type filters from 3M, but check that up on their site. And the sellers can help you, ask about organic vapors protection. 3M cartridges have the same appearance but different type of protection due to environment they are supposed to be used in.
Filters I use are easily found at the shops selling goods for automotive refinishing. But there can be also cheaper masks there that work the same good. I find our local mask more convenient for me and I can wear it for days without issues. I also have one top of the range from 3M, but I don't like it as no matter how tension is adjusted I have red line on my nose after using it. I think I'll buy another cheaper mask from 3M, maybe that one will suit me.

Thanks dude. I think i would go for 1k... Im thinking about using the si
For now im actually painting on fabric and paper. I am still learning..
And i would like to do painting on hard surfaces like automotive in future.

Well for now I would suggest concentrating on what you have easy access to. There is plenty of time for 1k & 2k. By the time you're ready for it you will have a better understanding of what is required for those products

That was really good advice and hopeful for me. Thanks.. I'm thinking about getting much more face mask and also the spray booth..

I use urethanes only.

I have asked local expert painters. And the gave me the same answers like you did. Than you so much.. This is helpful

Back