For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Become a Super'artist and make a difference! (please read)

Discussion in 'Open Bar!' started by Cordyk, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Cordyk

Cordyk Sheriff Woody (Admington) Admin

Hello you wonderful people, it's time to don those underpants on the outside of your tights and grab that cape and step up!
    What is the fruitloop talking about I hear you say....i'll tell you!
    Recently i had the great pleasure and honour to join a Uk charity called Supershoes at a stand at the KKBO,https://www.supershoes.org.uk/. These volunteers do fantastic and amazing job for children struggling in their daily battles against cancer by enrolling artist of all mediums to paint some 'Supershoes'.
    The brief is simple, when you enlist and get accepted to a select closed group on facebook (UK only i think?)
    you will see a post asking for any of the enlisted artist if they have time to paint some shoes, if you say yes you get sent a pair of Converse.
    From this point on you will have approximately 2-3 weeks in which to paint them, supplied with the shoes will be some paints, pre-paid return bag and a brief about the child your painting for,their name, favorite colours, movie characters and likes etc.
    Then its up to you to be as creative as you like with the info you have, you can use airbrush, marker pens, paintbrush, whatever medium you like to create you design, this was a learning curve for me and i used all of the above to create my shoes!.
    Once you have done just pop them back in the return bag, advise on FB and wait, you have to wait at least 10 days before posting pics to make sure the child receiving them gets a lovely surprise as they know nothing about it up till this point.
    Apart from making you feel good about what small thing you are doing for a very worthy cause, the simple fact of being totally creative was a very freeing feeling, more often than not us airbrush artist are constrained to just copying images but to paint what you like was awesome!

So come on guys'n'gals, please take the time to check out the links below for the website, if you feel like it make a small donation, enrol yourself and become part of this awesome group you wont regret it by putting a big smile on a childs face by giving them their own personalised 'supershoes'!

Here are the links to the site, please please spare a few moments of your time to check it out.
    https://www.supershoes.org.uk/
    https://www.supershoes.org.uk/volunteer/

Now check out my first painted pair, the brief for this little girl was 'Spacey stuff' which was fun to do.
    If we can get some members on here to enroll we can create a thread specifically about how to paint on shoes and share as much info as poss:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Ricky Spanish, Malky, ferret and 2 others like this.
  2. Cordyk

3. Ronald art

Ronald art Detail Decepticon! Very Likeable!

if I lived in the UK I would sign up for sure :) great job on the shoes :D
    Malky, jord001 and Cordyk like this.
  4. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

And if you can't do the shoes or don't live in the UK sign up for the fridge magnet art challenge!
    Malky, jord001, Cordyk and 2 others like this.
  5. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

@Cordyk Kev I'm interested in doing this, but although I've done baseball caps with similar material, the one time I tried shoes (cheap and cheerful if that makes a difference) the paint bled, and I would be worried about messing up a kiddies shoes.
    Any advice about prep, or markers etc and do you know if it needs to be washable etc??
    Malky and jord001 like this.
  6. Cordyk

No worries lady squish!
    We found that brushing on a coat or two of Trans base worked a treat to create a good base to AB on. I tried some Createx Illustration base on one and Com-art on another, the createx was thicker and I think maybe better. When first tried the AB without any base it just soaked in completely which stopped me in my tracks haha, it was Ashley Bryson who suggested the base and off I went! It's not easy painting on these things I won't lie, it's fabric and soft as you know and create all sorts of problems but you soon learn and each new trick you find to overcome is pretty cool and rewarding to say the least.
    Like the name Zeynab, I just went on the comp opened a new word doc, found a font I liked then made it to the exact size I wanted, blocked the background colour to pink to see how it looked. Then I simply printed it off and cut out the letters to make a stencil, positioned it and used a couple of small pins to hold it with cardboard on the inside, sprayed some white through. I could then brush on some thicker acrylic white and use a permanent marker to outline!
    On the coloured shoes you need to paint a few coats of white down first as a base coat.
    I heard Copic markers are good, I just bought a few different black ones to start with for outlining, so AB is going to be great for blending and fades and sharpies and paintbrush for most other stuff!
    It really is great fun and a bit nervy because you don't want to stuff it up, but you need a bit of pressure to push yoursel haha
  7. Squishy

Thanks Kev. Yeah, I need something to keep my swear quota up lol. I think I'll give it a go if they'll have me :D
    Malky, jord001 and basepaint like this.
  8. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I'm up for it too, But i think I will wait a few weeks till my kitchen is done as the house is upside down and its doing my head in. I'm in for the fridge magnet challenge, had a message and sent my address so just waiting for that to arrive. They are looking for artists from Europe and other countries to join in so anyone who fancies a go i'm sure they will be happy. Kev have you any info on this for folks who don't have FB?

Lee
    Malky and basepaint like this.
  9. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

I can't because I live in the U.S. but a do the fridge magnet Challenge so at least I can help bring in the cash to buy the shoes:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Malky, markjthomson and jord001 like this.
  10. Squishy

@jord001 I didn't get a pm, did you do the last one? Wondering if I should chase them up or maybe they have my address from before.
    Malky likes this.
  11. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

seen these on facbook, look great mate, id like to get in on this too ill check the links out later, been wanting to try trainers for a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Malky likes this.
  12. Cordyk

I will have to check with Sarah on the outside Uk artist's, it may be a postage thing.
    The beauty is that if you get accepted to the group its entirely up to you when you want to paint some shoes, just when you do you do have a deadline to stick too. They are a great bunch and very accommodating to help with any problems.
    Malky likes this.
  13. matty171

matty171 Air-Valve Autobot!

sent an email earlier to them so hopefully hear back soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Malky and Cordyk like this.
  14. Squishy

Filled out the form and submitted it, so we shall see :)
    Cordyk and Malky like this.
  15. ferret

ferret Needle-chuck Ninja

Nice one Kev ,I will have a butchers at the links and give it a go ,it's all fora great cause .
    Cordyk and Malky like this.
  16. Malky

Malky Pencil Pushing Protagonist Elite Member! Very Likeable!

My hat is off to every single artist who takes part in this, both here and those who I saw in the the links already taking part , I would have jumped at this without a doubt but the the UK restriction makes that a no go for me, I can least be happy knowing a load of my friends here will do me and the kids proud:thumbsup:

It would be cool if something similar could be organised here and indeed other countries, when my wife was undergoing her six week course of radio therapy almost two years ago now, it was soul destroying to see so many kids there waiting for the same treatment, even my wife found that harrowing, but it was a huge lift to notice these kids despite their suffering still managed to keep smiling, so it's heart warming to know that people exist to bring a little sunshine into their lives.

Until something as beautiful as this happens here all I can do is wish you guys the very best of luck, and I have faith in every one of you and I know you will all give 150%:thumbsup:

@Cordyk nice one Kev, events like this really do restore people's faith in society as a whole, it's good to know that in such a sick world as this one, decent people still exist.

While my wife was still being treated, she/we had some help from an organisation which was based at the hospital where she was being treated, this, organisation is sponsored by and has contact with other help organisations, I think I will send them an email tomorrow and see if they can get the ball rolling here, and if it can a happen here I will be the first name on the list, it has to be possible, right.
    Cordyk and Squishy like this.
  17. Cordyk

When I get some confirmation on if this envoles other countries @Malky i will let you know fella.:thumbsup:
  18. jord001

You could do the Fridge Magnet Art Challenge @Malky They want folks from Europe to do some.

Not everyone has a facebook account and everything is done on there for the the fridge magnet art challenge so I asked about folks who don't use facebook who are interested in doing the fridge magnet art challenge this is the reply I got.

Email events@kustomkultureblastoff.com talk to Kate, ask to join, send link to own website to show us your work.

If anyone is interested give em a shout.

Lee
  19. jord001

I got a pm from Kayte on facebook @Squishy I didn't do the last one.

I just posted the email address for the challenge above so give em a kick.

Lee
  20. Squishy

Think, I will just to make sure. Cheers Lee.
    jord001 likes this.