Beginner pulsing problems

D

Digitalfreak

Hi there!
I am completly new to air brushing, started yesterday i practiced all yesterday at doing lines and have managed to get my lines strait but i have a few problems hoping one of you brilliant people could help.

I struggle with fine lines and pulsing tbh im using a cheap air brush and think thats the problem but here goes.
My kit is one from amazon it came with a compresser (no tank) but does have moisture trap. I have a chrome air brush, duel action, gravity feed. It isnt branded.
So my brush will spurt miss a bit then spurt again and this happens on every line.
Also if i get in close to do a fine line with a really small amount of pressure the paint will go from not spraying to spraying alot and even sometimes with the trigger full pulled spray nothing for a few seconds then all of a sudden spray full amount. Really confused on this. Sorry for the long text. Could somebody please help?

your problem can be caused by many different things , compressor , paint airbrush and combinations of these so tell us about the paint you use and what pressure

Hi there!
I am completly new to air brushing, started yesterday i practiced all yesterday at doing lines and have managed to get my lines strait but i have a few problems hoping one of you brilliant people could help.

I struggle with fine lines and pulsing tbh im using a cheap air brush and think thats the problem but here goes.
My kit is one from amazon it came with a compresser (no tank) but does have moisture trap. I have a chrome air brush, duel action, gravity feed. It isnt branded.
So my brush will spurt miss a bit then spurt again and this happens on every line.
Also if i get in close to do a fine line with a really small amount of pressure the paint will go from not spraying to spraying alot and even sometimes with the trigger full pulled spray nothing for a few seconds then all of a sudden spray full amount. Really confused on this. Sorry for the long text. Could somebody please help?

Both the brush and the compressor are you problem unfortunately, it actually amazes that even with the constant problems with these kits, they are still available to buy, you would have saved your cash if you had come here first, I'm afraid to say there is actually no cure for the problem other sedn it back if you can, we could get it going for you maybe, but in a few hours you'll be back at the same placeo_O

I would recommend you try to send the whole kit back and get your money back, then pop along to the introduction section and tell us bit about yourself, where you are, what would like to paint and anything that may help us to help you better in the future, then you can start threads asking which equipment will best suit your needs, we'll advise you based on the information we know about you and your needs, if you are on a budget we will guide you to best deal and equipment to suit your pocket but still with brand names and guarantees so that moral-less bastards like Amazon and Ebay and any other unscrupulous entities can steal any more of your hard earned cash.

This kit will cause you nothing but frustration even if we could fix, the solution doesn't need to be as expensive as you may think, so join us in helping you get the right gear form the start;)

Hi dont think i can return because i have put paint in the brush. I have been using 15-20 psi and i am using Game ink acrylic it said it was airbrush ready. The kit came with 2 brushes i have just tried a new brush and its much better but still has pulses.

The brush and compresser were £75 so thought it be at least ok to practice with. The paints were £15 for 6 small tubes.

The most common causes:

-Clogged nozzle (if it feels "sticky" it's not clean even if it looks like it is)
-Moisture in the airhose (the moisture gets in the gun and interupts the paint flow)
-Paint too thick (can't flow nicely through and builds up till the pressure pushes it out)
-Air pressure too low (not enough pressure to get the paint out you could see what 25-30 does)
-Combination of paint and pressure

Even if the bottle states "airbrush ready" thining it is probably still a good idea.

edited (should learn to calculate bar to psi :p)

Last edited:
I brought some thinner and put a few drops in till it was better seems to be better anyways. I cant tell if it is simply i need more practice or its a cheap brush and thats the problem.

The brush and compresser were £75 so thought it be at least ok to practice with. The paints were £15 for 6 small tubes.

Unfortunately these kits are often sold to unsuspecting beginners, Amazon and Ebay having no morals whatsoever are quite happy to allow the stuff to be sold at any price.

The problem is the fact that your compressor has no tank, it produces air by means of a piston driven by an electric motor, the pulsing you are experiencing is due the rhythm of the piston moving up and down, as I said there is no cure for other than but a compressor with a tank.

If you know who the seller was contact them and ask about a refund, simply tell them you are not happy, and if you paid using paypal they will also help if you make a complaint.

What is your main goal as far as airbrushing goes?, we will guide you to an economical brush and compressor that have far better reputations than the muck you've been conned into buying, a suitable kit may cost you three times as much as you just paid but that is far better than having to replace your current kit every two months if it actually lasts that long, I'm telling you this because I fell into the same trap as you did, but at the time this forum didn't exist to guide me as we would like to guide you, I hate the thought of anyone being screwed like this.

If you've got this gear working good enough to practice with, continue to do just that and in the meantime save up a little more money than you paid for this kit and then get back to us and we will guide you as I said, hang around here and don't be afraid to ask questions whenever you feel the need, there are people here 24/7 so you never have to wait long for help:)

And welcome to the forum:thumbsup:

Hi thanks for all the replys i have changed the paint and it seems to be alot better i have just done a blending lone quite good for a beginner. I will use this to practice until i can get a badger or iwaka could someone please reccommend a good brush that is cheapish and i plan on doing fabric t-shirts and so on so if you know a good setup for that i will be grateful for the info.

Hi thanks for all the replys i have changed the paint and it seems to be alot better i have just done a blending lone quite good for a beginner. I will use this to practice until i can get a badger or iwaka could someone please reccommend a good brush that is cheapish and i plan on doing fabric t-shirts and so on so if you know a good setup for that i will be grateful for the info.

I think IWAKA is another Chinese knock off, you would be better with Iwata, lol

Since you got it going, keep practicing like I said and save at the same time, also keep an eye out here on the Equipment for sale section, there are sometimes things for sale from respected members who may have stepped up their game.

Lol sorry i meant iwata and yes i will keep practicing and keep a look out on the forums.

Hi @Digitalfreak - good to see you've found s and got some good answers. Can I get you to go along and give us an introduction? Here is the link. Where are you from, any background experience, gear you use, that sort of thing. check out the nettiquette page on the same link that explains a bit about us as well. Cheers

http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

If you want to paint t shirts a bigger compressor is a must. I'm no t shirt expert though I have dabbled, but for shirts that are going to stand up to washing, you need high pressure to drive the paint right into the fabric.

. And you are going to need paint suitable for fabric. Traditionally the original createx is used for fabric, but you need a .5 airbrush minimum (and the high pressure) to get good flow. However things have moved on a bit, and you might consider Wicked which is ground finer (what I use) and can be used with a brush with a 3 or 3.5 nozzle. Any smaller than that and you are going towards detail brushes which work at much lower pressure so probably aren't going to get paint into the fabric, but rather sit on the surface and come off easily. Many t shirt painter use larger nozzles though, and siphon fed brushes for colour changes.

Hope this info gives an idea of what would be suitable for you. If you post some pics of what you are hoping to be able to paint, and a rough budget, the folks can guide you towards something suitable. You might want to think about heat setting too, as this is a must to fix the paint.

Last edited:
What everyone said about your kit is unfortunately correct. What part of England are you in. There's quite a few of us in the UK. Before you start make sure the airbrush is clean. Spray a little water or thinners through it. look at the spray when it comes out, is it smooth or pulsing. With your paint i would start with a mix of 1 drop of paint with 4 drops of water or thinners, this will make it usable to practise with in most airbrushes even cheap ones. It should be the consistency of skimmed milk and will just about drip off a brush or stick. Set your air to about 25psi and give it a go. If it spiders when you spray you can either drop the psi to 20 or add a drop of paint. Let us know how you get on.

Lee

Back