Best paint for color matching bumoer

Cpt.Nemo

Gravity Guru
Hey guys a friend asked me to paint his front bumper to match the rest of his faded red/orange/pinkish tuck. I'm not sure what paints to use besides wicked and if color matching is possible for a noob life me. Is wicked the best to use or is there a cheaper option

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

your best bet would be to take off the gas lid cover and take it to an automotive paint store and let them try an match it with car paint. I assume it is clear coated as you would have to clear over the wicked. Wicked would not be the best choice here. Most paint lines for automotive carry a cheap line (but this is still pricey). You could use wicked yes , that would not be my first choice. You might try and talk him into flat black out of a rattle can!

Last edited:
your best bet would be to take off the gas lid cover and take it to an automotive paint store and let them try an match it with car paint. I assume it is clear coated as you would have to clear over the wicked. Wicked would not be the best choice here. Most paint lines for automotive carry a cheap line (but this is still pricey). You could use wicked yes , that would not be my first choice. You might try and talk him into flat black out of a rattle can!
Wicked , AutoAir and even the Illustration are designed for automotive.
Most cars now a days are painted (based) with water based paints and then a urethane clear coat put over them. Matching a faded paint is very hard even for the pros , As stated gas cap lid , or some other small piece of the car to try and get a close match . Most place would not even do it and would tell them to just repaint the entire car.
Never use rattle cans due to they do not allow you to build enough mils of paint to really be of use on a car.

Thanks mr.micron that's definitely helpful. I didn't know if I could handle it and now if pros have a hard time with it then for sure no. I'll tell him it's black bumper or whole car repaint. Really didn't want this job anyway haha

Sent from iPhone

Thanks mr.micron that's definitely helpful. I didn't know if I could handle it and now if pros have a hard time with it then for sure no. I'll tell him it's black bumper or whole car repaint. Really didn't want this job anyway haha

Sent from iPhone
LOL I have been there too where it was a life long friend and had to give him the bad news . He went a head with a whole repaint.
Just make sure you use a good automotive clear

I've been using finish 1 from Napa auto parts and have gotten a decent finish, I feel like I should just stick with that since I'm kind of used to it. The truck is old and dented, should I use a flat clear instead of gloss? Gloss shows every little dent. And how much would you charge for an old truck repaint? Just a rough ballpark

Sent from iPhone

Well now think RAT ROD ... Some use a flat clear some use a semi gloss and some use a full gloss . Me I am more in favor or a semi gloss or a high gloss with a flattening additive which given just a bit more weathered look to it .
But that comes down to how you suggest the concept to the person or what the end look the person wants.
Finish 1 is a good product from NAPA so nothing wrong with it. I use UC-35 from HOK for most jobs , FC21 for the flat clear jobs and for show USC01 .
but that is by choice , PPG , Napa, SEM and a lot of other make very good products and I have used them all .

True enough what Mr. Micron says, but most the body shops who spray water based auto paints have the booth to spray it in. I would use the the automotive paint as there is a formula for that truck. Your createx line is more for custom painting. I would stay away from waterborne auto paint unless you have sprayed it a lot as there is a learning curve and you wouldn't want to do that on a complete paint job. Some body shops still don't spray it because the added expense of fans to dry it. I have sprayed scooters/cycles with autoair but was a complete repaint so matching a color wasn't a problem. as far as price goes, if you fix every ding is one thing and if you just pretty it up a bit is a whole nother..so to paint you would have anywhere from $300.00 to $1200.00 in materals depending on the type of paint, body filler, sand paper, mask....etc throw in labor to repair-$1,500 to $3,5000 for a cheapy job.My son painted his Honda Accord with Rustolem he paid $25.00 for a couple cans on sale (sprayed it with a gun) he had under $200 in material. I sprayed it for him, we even wet sanded and buffed it (black) and 5 years later that stuff still looks good,,,who would have thought? Just my humble opion

Wow guys thanks so much for the info, anything is helpful! Anyone in my area would be looking for the cheapest paint job possible. Most of what I do now would be at a huge discount to gain experience, but I'd love to custom paint my own car so it's good to know I can get in under $500 if I want. If you like finish 1 I'll stick with that then. I really like it so far but haven't used HOk much yet. Thanks again guys, really appreciate it:)

Sent from iPhone

Back