For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Big ball ....what to do

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by JackEb, May 21, 2016.

1. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

hi gang,
    I'm after ideas as to what to paint on this big steel ball.

Two problems I have, it has a fixed mounting point and when mounted the welded seam that isn't horizontal or vertical.

The owner loves all things American western (stagecoach, Cowboys,Indians etc) and has given me free reign to do whatever I like.

Any and all input welcome

Oops , pic didn't work, I'll upload when I'm at my PC. It's about 12" (30cm) diameter
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Hmmm, will have a think and look forward to seeing the pretty picture but I guess Christmas bauble isn't in your thinking...?
  3. JackEb

It would have to be a very strong xmas tree... thats a 2OZ bottle of Wicked for comparison

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG] a ball.JPG
  4. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Spider Splatterer

A cowboy sitting on his horse silhouetted against a fantastic rock formation (at sunrise or sunset) as a general theme would offer endless possibilities for invention when you don't have a model to paint from. Stylistically and mood themes. That image is so common its almost cliche but it never goes out of style in this country, and especially when its well done, as it can tell a whole story in itself.

Ever wonder why they call 'em cowboys when they don't have anything to do with cows? Or Indians? The answer lies in the fact that the very first "western" stories began, not in the west but in the east so that as settlement of the nation progressed across the continent, the location of the "west" was relative to various points in time as settlement marched westward. In the earliest western stories cowboys, often as not, really were employed in cattle ranching. Pretty hard to raise cattle in the western deserts.

More modern western movies are a lot more true to form and depict the cowboy more accurately as to who they were and what they did, which was a lot less inspiring than all those stylized pictures and sculptures would have us believe. Speaking of that, you might check out the works of Frederick Remmington, American painter/sculptor of the American west.
    JackEb and markjthomson like this.
  5. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Good ideas there @Mr. Magoo
    I see what you mean about the weld... Hmmm, if only you could grind that off. Is that the way it will be oriented when you are done?
  6. JackEb

i don't think the steel is overly thick so I'd be worried about putting a hole in it. If it was mine is give it a go but it's not!
    markjthomson likes this.
  7. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

8. JackEb

Did I miss BB1-7 ??
    It could also be one half of Adelaide's infamous "malls balls" LOL
    markjthomson and musicmacd like this.
  9. Sharkfat

Sharkfat Young Tutorling

What about an Indian Chief on the higher side with his head-dress starting at the weld and going down the back? Or an antique looking globe/map of the world? :)
    markjthomson likes this.
  10. JackEb

its funny you should say that @Sharkfat ! while pondering this afternoon and after a quick google search i came across this,

I'm not real good with portraits so i'm a little worried about doing a face, but i'll practise and see how i go.
    I'm hoping.....not promising, but hoping to do something a little more detailed, but i really think this is a good starting point.

Thank you SharkFat, at least i know mine wasnt an oddball thought.

Although the Map of the world isnt a bad thought either, although it may not be 'western' enough for the owner.

motorbike helmet.jpg
    jord001, basepaint, Sharkfat and 3 others like this.
  11. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

Cool... And I was going to suggest the Death star.....
    JackEb, markjthomson and Sharkfat like this.
  12. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

I like the head dress idea, especially if you could somehow design it so that the weld becomes a rib of a feather??? Don't know how feasable that is. The only other thing that I can think of is if the design has to go all the way around and be viewed 360, you could maybe do a monument valley scene and have wagons, cattle, a native american settlement (teepee's etc) and cactus etc in the foreground. Looks like a fun project :)
    JackEb likes this.
  13. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

How about a cowboy playing a guitar on his horse or sitting on the ground beside his horse while watching his cows at night with the ball being the moon coming up over the Prairie :D
    JackEb likes this.
  14. basepaint

basepaint Air-Valve Autobot!

OR Miley Cyrus so wrecking ball!lollol
    Squishy and JackEb like this.
  15. JackEb

So I've spoken to the 'owner' of the ball and he did chuckle at the miley cyrus suggestion and he's more into star trek than star wars but the idea of the indian headdress is a winner and he is a happy chappie. Thank you @Sharkfat for echoing my thoughts of the headdress
    I've scuffed and wiped the ball and a quick test of sealer on and around the mounting point and let that sit for 24 hours, a quick scratch test and a tape test and it seems to be adhering well. so fingers crossed.

so the first step is the sealer...... 'off white' I think (unless someone in the know says 'dark sealer' will be better....)

i'll try the face first, just need to find something suitable. I'm not concerned about the headdress, that's the 'easy bit', Portraits are still scary :eek:
    Sharkfat likes this.
  16. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

how can you not do a reflection or optical illusion on it as if its a crystal ball ;) Think escher :)..Jeez that would be a fun thing to paint..But personally if I ever get balls LOL I'll make a sculpture of this and use eschers ideas and translate it into real life, I could even imaging the hand sculpted from a log to hold the piece ;) But lots of good idea's for that one, be interesting to see it come along and what you go with..
    Squishy likes this.
  17. JackEb

I think this lends itself to more a flat surface than round.

[​IMG]

as for something like this, I think I'd be in a cuddle myself jacket before I got it done !!

[​IMG]
    Squishy likes this.
  18. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

That's kinda why I suggested it, want people to share my love for straight jackets....
    But its an interesting thought, Escher was a master at making 2d appear 3d to take an idea from his two dimensional reality and return it to that true world of 3d would give it an interesting premise..

But heck yer it would warp the painters head a bit LOL, but zooming in on a face and forgetting the shelves and background more like a fish eye look potrait would I think bring in maybe not a full 360 or 100% 3d appearance but maybe close..

But will be a fun project whatever you paint on it..
  19. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

Nothing on that level, (I can but dream) but after coming up with a design, which seemed to take forever, where skulls kind of flowed into each other and made other skulls (or rather thats the effect I was hoping for Lol) I can say it def bends the brain trying to paint it. lol. Was only semi sucessful, and I was hoping to make it more 3d, but my lonely braincell was on overload. Lol. Might have to revisit the idea someday though, but have my cuddle me coat on standby LOL!! 2012-07-26 19.48.49.jpg v1 (596x1024).jpg

Anyway back to the plot. I think the head dress will look awesome, looking forward to seeing it :)
    jord001 likes this.
  20. JackEb

I love the colour of that one @Squishy. is that candy or just straight Wicked...?

I put the tape back on there, pushed it on really well and it will have been on there for a couple of days by the time I get back to it and do another 'test pull' so if its a success then i'll give it all another quick scuff and clean and then in with the sealer. Because its raining almost constantly here at the moment is will take a little longer to dry, but I don't want to force dry it.

I've found this pic that I'm hoping I can do justice to..... yes the headband will follow the line of weld.
    American indian.jpg

This is the full pic,

American indian full pic reduced.jpg

Happy to hear suggestions as usual
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    jord001 likes this.