For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Big ball ....what to do

Discussion in 'General Airbrush Discussion' started by JackEb, May 21, 2016.

1. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Yay rain...happy atm paint wont dry LOL..the portrait you picked will look pretty darn nice, all those feathers Ahhhhh :)
  2. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

the feathers don't worry me, its the face that does.......
    might have to blow up a balloon and do a practise run, i'll have to be quick before it deflates :laugh:
    RebelAir likes this.
  3. RebelAir

RebelAir Air-Valve Autobot!

Make sure you have the needle shroud on LOL
  4. JackEb

"I never leave home without it"
    Squishy likes this.
  5. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

Yes, that was orange candy. I really want to try the new 2.0 candies, but don't know when I'll get to play.

I sympathise with the rain as a Brit. We had the warmest, wettest winter since records began. Like trying to paint in soup. Hope your weather picks up so I can see that bad boy painted up. You'll do that face, no worries. After Clint, the White Walker and those Pp lips, you have nothing to worry about :D
  6. JackEb

anyone got any suggestions on how to get a 2d picture onto a curved surface..... I'm probably thinking to hard.
    I have a projector, frisket.... am I better off projecting it on there and just marking landmarks and 'going for it' ? its not an overly detailed face.....

I'll do my best to make you proud Bro !!
  7. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod Artist of the Month!

Getting an image onto a curved surface is a biatch. I find it is easier to draw directly onto the surface. However, I did once make slits in some paper, then overlapped the slits til it fit the curve, marked it all up, Then flattened it out again and drew the design leaving spaces where the slits overlapped. Then I stuck it together, made a few adjustments to angles where things met, and transferred with saral paper. What a ball ache lol. But it worked.

It might not help with this design but I find it help to use some pinstripe tape to give my eye a level horizon to work from. I find it very easy to creep up or down otherwise and get a bit skewed.
    JackEb likes this.
  8. Sharkfat

Sharkfat Young Tutorling

Cut some 'V' shapes around the edge of the paper and that'll help it mould to the surface better :D

If you didn't want to paint a face what about a Mandella as unlike a Dream Catcher it has a 'shield' in the middle which you could also paint something on like a scene, eagle or whatever :)
    JackEb likes this.
  9. JackEb

ok, so an update, Its been a very wet / cold winter here, and its still not playing nice and we're well into spring, so I haven't managed as much time as I would like painting anything, let alone this piece. ( a cheapo hair dryer is now on my shopping list !! )
    I will wind up putting this in the WIP/Finished projects once its finished. but I need a hand.
    I've managed to do an acceptable job on his face and the feathers are coming along nicely BUT .....

His headband is driving me nuts..... I've wiped it out twice and it still looks like :poo:
    "paint what you see" I hear you say...... that's what I've tried doing and am failing miserably it still looks like poo.

to save you flicking back to the first few posts, here is the headband... yes its a bad reference, but that's all I have. the pic was originally an oil painting.
    upload_2016-10-24_7-47-38.png

so I'm asking those with more skill than I have (so most of you LOL) HOW would you proceed with this ?

Critical info:
    this is about the size of the average bowling ball.
    this is on a steel surface, (so scratching / erasing isn't as easy as on a board.)
    Im using Createx illustration and HP reducer

the brown band is probably giving me the most grief,
    I will blow this image up and give it another go, but I'm hoping the brains trust here can give me a nudge in the right process....
  10. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

I think the colour matching would be vital for the Earth tones and a bucket load of daggers and light erasing? CI still erases on metal :)
  11. Freakaziot

Freakaziot Mac-Valve Maestro! Very Likeable!

Maybe it sounds stupid, but make some test.
    Experiment with different approaches.
    On colour I can't advice you (I suck :laugh:)
    Try different highlight methods like erasing or matching colours.
  12. JackEb

every test I've done has been fine as far as the erasing goes, (aluminium panel) its almost like the paint is laying on the steel ball like plastic and it just doesn't want to stick firm, his face and the feathers have been fine and if it was just one small spot I'd say its the surface its going onto, but its the entire length of the band that does the same thing.

on the brown band, I've tried bloodline blunt trauma umber as an undercolour for the shadow, then standard CI umber on top, but it still looks like poo.

I may need to erase again (acetone and a cotton tip) but then scuff the surface lightly to make sure its sticking better...... it may / maynot help....
    I'm just at a loss as to why I cant get it to look like it should.

admittedly I've got myself under pressure and that's not helping.....
  13. musicmacd

Can you colour match it using opaque colours ??
  14. JackEb

to be fair my colour matching is still very much in its infancy..... but I'm getting better,

I'm more after how you would technically go about this rather than colour....
    I've been chatting with Squish off line and now I'm thinking a couple of things..........
    One is to try a DIY green rather than the moss green that is giving me grief. Apparently Squish had issues with the wicked Moss green not behaving on metal, so that will be my first stop....... the brown isn't quiet as hard to work with as the green but its still frustrating
    secondly I will try the 4020 reducer on the brown and green in an attempt to get it to dry better / harder than the current HP is doing.

Note to self: NO more steel 3D objects for a loooooooooooooooooong time, I'll stick with 2d for awhile I think
    musicmacd likes this.
  15. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Are you struggling with the colour or the shapes?
  16. JackEb

probably more the shapes, the colour I can work on, but its just not looking like the 'stitching' it should be.
    I know I'm trying to paint what isn't really there, but I'm not aiming for photo realism either ( Just to confuse you more LOL )
  17. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

how did you get the image on the ball? can you tape the image on the ball and use the flip method, where you keep flipping the image back and forth, adding paint or erasing then flip the image over it to see if its accurate. any help?

I did it with the Herman pic for a short while to make sure things were in the right place etc

Lee
  18. JackEb

I projected it on there, so no reference of the right size....
  19. musicmacd

Can you spray through some fabric or dolly stitched item?
  20. JackEb

*face palm* I didn't think of that I'll have to go and raid a cupboard or six......
    I've really got to the point where frustration has set in and I'm just not thinking clearly. 'cant see the forest for the trees' :oops:
    musicmacd and markjthomson like this.