black card 210 gsm sealer

P

paulcouk

Hi
Im using black card 210 gsm...Ive tried sealing water down pva to seal it
I am using it to do sculls, I am using createx illustration paint,
what I am finding out with the the white I carnt see it on the card Ive got to go over it a few times before I can see it,
it seems to be socking it up. Can anybody tell what to seal it with please.
I haven't tried it with colors yet
paul

Hi
Im using black card 210 gsm...Ive tried sealing water down pva to seal it
I am using it to do sculls, I am using createx illustration paint,
what I am finding out with the the white I carnt see it on the card Ive got to go over it a few times before I can see it,
it seems to be socking it up. Can anybody tell what to seal it with please.
I haven't tried it with colors yet
paul

This is natural, we all have to build up slowly with several layers using white on black, most folks who work on black background do it for that reason, if your after speed or quick coverage you would be better working on a white background and paint with black or sepia, if the card you have was already black when you bought it, it didn't needed to be sealed at all, you would rely on it soaking in for a quicker build up, and sealing it increases the risk spidering.

I am assuming this is similiar to posterboard?
Spray can clear is what i do.

Barring that, i have used Wicked transparent base.

Like @Nada said, You could seal the paper first with a rattle can clear. You will be able to paint over it with ease. The only difference will then have a hard surface and it will be non absorbent so you will have to be careful with your reduction and air pressure so that it does not spider or trace across the surface. I'm not sure how delicate the paint will be on that surface but it should be stable. Not sure if you will have to clear it afterwards. Nada may be able to shed some light on that.

Lee

Like @Nada said, You could seal the paper first with a rattle can clear. You will be able to paint over it with ease. The only difference will then have a hard surface and it will be non absorbent so you will have to be careful with your reduction and air pressure so that it does not spider or trace across the surface. I'm not sure how delicate the paint will be on that surface but it should be stable. Not sure if you will have to clear it afterwards. Nada may be able to shed some light on that.

Lee

I hit them with 800 grit just like i would a panel. Then depends on paint you use, golden, createx illustration , wicked, and etac all is fine. I wont use com art on anything hard.

I really only use black posterboard to practice automotive type of painting.
Even at that its not a "good" surface.

White posterboard on the other hand, with a semi thick paint and no sealer looks suprisingly good. My posterboard pieces were done with golden and very little reduction.

Do you clear them afterwards or is the paint tough enough?

Lee
I protect all art, whether thats a normal clear or varnish depends on its purpose.

On top of spray clear, it wont rub off from regular handling. It is no different than any hard surface application at that point.

On uncoated posterboard, you would have to spill something on it to damage it.. Or get very aggresive.

Yup, PVA is a glue, not a sealer... and yes, you need to build up the layers.

A different card stock will help. One with a more satin finish. Some are def better than others. In the mean time I would try trans base. Or you can use a clear, but it will be more like a hard surface, and in that case I would just use a metal panel etc instead. :D

Hi
Thank you for your advise ...I forgot to say I am a newbe so its only for practice on ( Im am using it for sculls) that y Im use black card and it cheep enough to waist, I was using play board and spraying it black with car paint, But on times the spray wouldn't go over the paint I was putting on and left it lumpy, I think I will be using the card I have and building it us..Thank you for your replying
Paul

Back