Bought a CM-SB Hooraay!! Came with a cracked nozzle Boo Hoo!!

The "factory sealed" thing is mostly on Olympos and Iwata's higher-end airbrushes. Some other manufacturers do it, but, you're right, it seems that most don't.

I've never dealt with Lion-Art personally, but it's at least a place I've heard of. That usually means that these types of things get handled well. If not, tell people on the forums that you got screwed by them.

As far as worrying about the head unit- as far as I know, the SB and SB2 both use the same head unit, so there wouldn't be any need to change out the "old" stock of those, so, they should still have new, matched head units in stock. It should come in a sealed blister pack on a card if it's factory. I wouldn't worry about the SB not performing well. Even if the head unit isn't perfectly calibrated, it's still going to work very well.

The "factory sealed" thing is mostly on Olympos and Iwata's higher-end airbrushes. Some other manufacturers do it, but, you're right, it seems that most don't.

I've never dealt with Lion-Art personally, but it's at least a place I've heard of. That usually means that these types of things get handled well. If not, tell people on the forums that you got screwed by them.

As far as worrying about the head unit- as far as I know, the SB and SB2 both use the same head unit, so there wouldn't be any need to change out the "old" stock of those, so, they should still have new, matched head units in stock. It should come in a sealed blister pack on a card if it's factory. I wouldn't worry about the SB not performing well. Even if the head unit isn't perfectly calibrated, it's still going to work very well.

Thanks for the reassurance HCP. It helps me to hear that.

I just looked at Lion-Arts Iwata CM Parts list and he doesn't sell the Head Unit for Microns, only the seperate parts. Infact I just looked at all the suppliers in Holland and none of them sell complete calibrated Micron Head Units.

According to this SB2 description - Iwata Custom Micron CM-SB 2 | Foxy Studio - the base of the Head Unit has been changed, they call it the Nozzle Base. I can't take the Head off this CM-SB because it's on too tight so I can't look to see if there is a difference.

I am confused by the SB2 because I can't find any official Iwata website that mentions a new version CM-SB2.
Cheers Mel

You can just clip a wooden clothes peg over the head and use some pliers to loosen it. Mine was also tight on my Eclipse and Micron. When I broke the nozzle on my micron and just replaced it. Did not bother with the whole head. On both Foxy and Dru's shops you will see they both only have the nozzles for sale, no complete heads. I also spoke to Carlo and he said that if you what claim that parts are aligned, you need to go further then just the head and nozzle. The needle guide and needle need to be matched as well. And nobody is gonna replace all of those parts just when they need a new needle.

head_wrench.jpg

You can just clip a wooden clothes peg over the head and use some pliers to loosen it. Mine was also tight on my Eclipse and Micron. When I broke the nozzle on my micron and just replaced it. Did not bother with the whole head. On both Foxy and Dru's shops you will see they both only have the nozzles for sale, no complete heads. I also spoke to Carlo and he said that if you what claim that parts are aligned, you need to go further then just the head and nozzle. The needle guide and needle need to be matched as well. And nobody is gonna replace all of those parts just when they need a new needle.

View attachment 27982

True enough about the allignment issue AndreZA and if I'd damaged the nozzle myself I would only replace the nozzle. But I bought a brand new in the box CM-SB as it was advertised and therefore I expect to get a brand new fully functional, undamaged, Iwata factory alligned Custom Micron!! It's simple, I didn't pay all that money for damaged goods that don't work.

Yeah I would use a clothes peg and pliers to get the Head loose but with my bad hands I prefer to use my small vice instead of the pliers. However I don't want to mess with this CM-SB until this problem is sorted, I am leaving it alone. I really am very upset and angry but there is nothing I can do at the moment.

Tomorrow I should hear from Lion-Art and I will phone Iwata myself and ask them what should happen in this situation. I trust Lion will sort it out.

Please keep us posted as I just purchased the new cm-sb2 and am interested to know what their customer service is like.

Please keep us posted as I just purchased the new cm-sb2 and am interested to know what their customer service is like.

Sure eyesore, I'll be posting what happens. When did you get your CM-SB2? How do you find it? Do you have a CM-SB1 to compare it to?

I've bought a lot of equipment and supplies from Lion-Art and I've always found his customer service to be very good. That's why I am totally shocked that I got this CM-SB from him with a cracked nozzle but I am expecting him to sort it out quickly and I expect to hear tomorrow.
Cheers Mel

PS: welcome to the Forum, it would be great if you would pop over to the Introduction thread and tell us a little bit about yourself, your airbrushing and what equipment you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are 100% right Mel. You should not do anything to the gun until you hear from the shop. You don't want them to turn around and say it was your fault.

You are 100% right Mel. You should not do anything to the gun until you hear from the shop. You don't want them to turn around and say it was your fault.

Yeah, I'm leaving it alone and hoping like mad this is sorted as quickly as possible so I can start using the new CM-SB I thought I'd bought instead of the broken one I got.

I know MEDIA, which is the US distributor for Iwata, is pretty good and fast about taking care of any issues. I would think the European distributor would be up to the same standards. Or try to contact Iwata directly.

It might not be instant, but you should get sorted out pretty quickly.

I don't know about you, but I am definitely not sold on this whole "Micron 2" thing. For one, I don't think I've ever been airbrushing and thought to myself "you know what would make this better? A square trigger. That would be awesome."

I know MEDIA, which is the US distributor for Iwata, is pretty good and fast about taking care of any issues. I would think the European distributor would be up to the same standards. Or try to contact Iwata directly.

It might not be instant, but you should get sorted out pretty quickly.

I don't know about you, but I am definitely not sold on this whole "Micron 2" thing. For one, I don't think I've ever been airbrushing and thought to myself "you know what would make this better? A square trigger. That would be awesome."

It's not just a square trigger, the trigger is taller and therefore more controllable; there are many very experienced airbrush users on this Forum that have devised many different ways to increase the height of the trigger on their particular airbrush, more than most do this to gain more control and for good reason.

It has a different needle chucking guide and in my opinion, this is better than the version on the sb1. It also has an improved nozzle base, they have modified the angle and positions of the internal air passages, which does improve the atomisation. For those who would find it useful, a cap dock. The biggest improvement as far as I am concerned, is the atomisation, noticeably better than the sb1.

Before I ordered mine, not once did I think about whether the trigger was square or not.

We're getting a bit off topic here but I think the taller trigger is a mistake. I use to like a tall trigger and build mine up. Now I like a short trigger. With a factory supplied tall trigger I am screwed because I can not take material away. If you want taller then make it taller yourself. The only thing that I want from the V.2 is the one piece needle shaft.

Completely agree with what Adam said on this Mel. If any troubles just let them know you're associated with us, i'm sure none of this was intended, you're not the first one to receive an airbrush like this, there's a whole host of factors at play. Just wait and see how it's handled, for now though you just have to wait a little. Once it's all fixed and you start using your airbrush it'll work so perfectly you won't remember it was ever hurt. Have sympathy for the poor little thing, it's got a broken nozzle, how do you think the airbrush feels? :congratulatory:

What a bummer, I mean at least you aren't completely out of the game, you can still do airbrushing but just not with your new toy and I am more than sure you will be using it very soon and all problems will be solved! I am also guessing, that with a cracked nozzle, the stream of paint won't be accurate at all, infact it would spit, am I right or wrong? As I have never had a cracked nozzle and hope to the lord above that it never happens to me, but I would like to know the result of what a cracked nozzle impacts to the airbrush.

Completely agree with what Adam said on this Mel. If any troubles just let them know you're associated with us, i'm sure none of this was intended, you're not the first one to receive an airbrush like this, there's a whole host of factors at play. Just wait and see how it's handled, for now though you just have to wait a little. Once it's all fixed and you start using your airbrush it'll work so perfectly you won't remember it was ever hurt. Have sympathy for the poor little thing, it's got a broken nozzle, how do you think the airbrush feels? :congratulatory:

Oh thanks a lot for the support Mitch. Yeah I completely forgot how the airbrush might feel....I was sooo absorbed in my own misery!!!

I found more damage on the nozzle
Damage-Marks on side of Nozzle CM-SB.jpg

Attachments

• CM-SB Trigger Pulled Back-Needle still shows.jpg
    CM-SB Trigger Pulled Back-Needle still shows.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 34
What a bummer, I mean at least you aren't completely out of the game, you can still do airbrushing but just not with your new toy and I am more than sure you will be using it very soon and all problems will be solved! I am also guessing, that with a cracked nozzle, the stream of paint won't be accurate at all, infact it would spit, am I right or wrong? As I have never had a cracked nozzle and hope to the lord above that it never happens to me, but I would like to know the result of what a cracked nozzle impacts to the airbrush.

I've never had a damaged nozzle before either but apparently it will make the spray pattern horrible.

Update on the situation. I sent an email to Lion-Art yesturday afternoon asking if he'd heard from Iwata yet. He replied, no and if he didn't hear from them by the end of the day he would send me a new nozzle today and sort things out between himself and Iwata.

It's not a perfect solution because the CM-SB won't be factory calibrated anymore but it is the simplest and quickest. I am soooo looking forward to being able use this Micron. So long as I'm satisfied with how it sprays and there are no further problems I'll be happy, if there are any problems with the new nozzle I'll send the airbrush back.

I'm still waiting to hear.

the CM-SB won't be factory calibrated anymore

There is no such thing Mel. If it was the case then every micron that has ever had it's nozzle replaced would be useless. The only part they claim is factory set is the needle and nozzle and those parts are static. They can not move so you can not tweak the nozzle a few thousand of a millimeter so that it lines up better. When you screw in the new nozzle, just put a tiny bit if wax/chapstick on the thread, screw it in by hand a give it the slightest twist with the wrench. It will be fine.

There is no such thing Mel. If it was the case then every micron that has ever had it's nozzle replaced would be useless. The only part they claim is factory set is the needle and nozzle and those parts are static. They can not move so you can not tweak the nozzle a few thousand of a millimeter so that it lines up better. When you screw in the new nozzle, just put a tiny bit if wax/chapstick on the thread, screw it in by hand a give it the slightest twist with the wrench. It will be fine.

"Factory set" then, in the quote below they call it "fine-tuning". And no, it would not make the Micron useless, it would make it "not factory set" or "not factory fine-tuned". This is what it says on the Anest Iwata website about the Micron;

"In the final stage of production, experienced engineers conduct a spraying test for every airbrush to be shipped. Only those proven to meet our stringent criteria are put on the market."

and

"The nozzle head system, which consists of four parts, undergoes repeated spray testing and fine-tuning until the spray characteristics are as perfect as possible. When the need for parts replacement arises, it is recommended to replace the whole head set (all of the four parts)."

Here's a link to the webpage; Custom Micron Series | Airbrushes | Coating Equipment & System | ANEST IWATA Corporation

My brand new Micron will not be fine-tuned anymore. I will have to replace a part, through no fault of my own, before I have even sprayed any paint and "factory set/fine-tuned" or not ..... that totally flaming sucks!!!!!!!

I fully expect it to work fine AndreZA otherwise I would NEVER agree to except just a new nozzle, that would be really, really stupid! :) I know you are only trying to reassure me so thanks for that and for the tips on putting in a new nozzle.
I still don't know if he has heard from Iwata or not so I'm not sure what is going to happen yet.

What Iwata does is to take a batch of head unit components, and assemble them together until they find a combination of parts that meets specs. For example, if an air cap isn't lining up correctly, they'll try another one, then another, until it meets specs. Much like indexing sparkplugs, if you're familiar with that.

As long as the new nozzle is in good shape, and the tip is centered in the hole of the air cap when assembled, there shouldn't be any problems with spraying.

What Iwata does is to take a batch of head unit components, and assemble them together until they find a combination of parts that meets specs. For example, if an air cap isn't lining up correctly, they'll try another one, then another, until it meets specs. Much like indexing sparkplugs, if you're familiar with that.

As long as the new nozzle is in good shape, and the tip is centered in the hole of the air cap when assembled, there shouldn't be any problems with spraying.

Thanks HCP. I'm just really looking forward to airbrushing with this Micron and falling in love with it :)

Back