For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Bought a new mystery airbrush!

Discussion in 'Airbrushes' started by Chris the Cabbie, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Chris the Cabbie

Chris the Cabbie Young Tutorling

Just got a reply from Ken at Badger Airbrush and it looks like this is indeed a Binks despite what I had been informed earlier, see below.

I just purchased a Binks Raven 2 and while looking at the attached pics came to a few conclusions.

-Bink's did not make airbrushes per se but rebranded what they did sell

Binks did make their own airbrushes. They manufactured the Wren (single action) and the Raven (double action)

-this brush most likely was made/sold in the early 1970's as wooden boxes were not used much past that point

Possibly. They made airbrushes in their Franklin Park facility from the 1960s through about 2000, when ITW acquired the Binks corporation, moved their manufacturing our of Franklin Park, and discontinued manufacturing of several products - including the airbrushes

-this brush looks to have a Badger 100 side feed color cup

I'm sure they looked closely at our products for comparable manufacturing purposes, but it was something they made themselves, and the similarities are simply planned coincidence.

-has what looks like a Thayer & Chandler nozzle/front end

see above

-has Badger looking main body and trigger with a Paasche style adjustment screw in front of it!

see above

-looks to be black powder coated

not powder coated. black nickel plated, much like are SOTAR 20/20 is.

If you might have any advice on parts commonality with Badger and any info on the history of this brush I would appreciate any help you can offer. I am also the proud owner of a Renegade Spirit but would love it if Badger offered a smaller color cup for it.

never really looked at the Raven that closely for parts retrofitting, as it was never a very popular or well sold airbrush, so can't offer any insights on if any Badger parts might work in a Raven airbrush. Binks sold many more Wrens than they did Ravens.

Regards,
    Chris the cabbie
    Vladimir and DaveG like this.
  2. Leakyvalve

Leakyvalve Spider Splatterer

Well that was nice of Ken to set the mis-guessed record straight.
  3. Chris the Cabbie

I was closer to right than wrong but to be honest, how much do you know about Binks airbrushes? I saw nothing from you on this thread so far?? Or does Nm mean something??
    Regards,
    Chris the cabbie
    Malky likes this.
  4. Mr.Micron

Mr.Micron Royal pain in the air hose Admin

Nm means never mind.
  5. mike k

mike k Spider Splatterer

Yes i agree it is odd, i just bought the raven 2 feom the same person on ebay, suppose to be a finer needle, will post pictures of both, once it gets here
  6. Chris the Cabbie

Ken,

Over at Badger seems reluctant to even let me ship it to him to check for compatibility of parts. There may be some or I could ask DaveG for some advice on parts he might know of common parts with Badger or other manufacturers. Mine clearly has a spare needle but I am concerned about the seals most of all and springs. This brush may not have been used for 20+ years! I saw the second one and thought about bidding but decided not to be a jerk on eBay as I have mine and like mine in appearance better. Let me know what you see with yours and we can compare notes and hopefully get both of them performing as they should??:malicious:

Regards,
    Chris the cabbie
  7. Chris the Cabbie

I guess that is an idiosyncrasy on this board as I have not seen this on any other board. I have seen NT, for no text but not Nm.

Regards,
    Chris the cabbie
  8. Chris the Cabbie

I hope you get your airbrush this week as it looks like we signed on for a slow shipper. I paid on Saturday and the airbrush has only been shipped today! Talk about a lag and I saw nothing about several days to ship on the auction at all. Maybe the seller is steamed that a bidding war didn't materialize? Curious what the seller was telling you about the brushes and if their opinion was an informed one about details?
    Regards,
    Chris the cabbie
  9. mike k

mike k Spider Splatterer

Yes, hopefully i get it soon, i bought a raven from them maybe 3 weeks ago, shipping was ok, and i asked her which one was finer raven 1 or 2 she said she would let me know and she didnt, and she said they were hers personally, the first raven i bought came with 3 needles that i have no idea what brush they belong to, and something else that looks like a nozzle cleaning tool, i will post pictures later, there is a spring in the head of the brush and the solvent needle packing is very official, basically the whole head is solvent resistant with teflon it really is a thought out airbrush, the nozzle is big meaning its basically the whole head but the hole is small where the needle comes out of if i had to guess maybe a .3ish
  10. Chris the Cabbie

My Raven arrived yesterday and mine appears to be fully functioning but needing some fine tuning to hit the sweet spot. I did a teardown to see what was what and made some interesting discoveries. First off this has a Paasche needle stop in front of the trigger AND a needle stop on the brush rear end. What makes this one different is that you have a free floating knurled collar that allows you to lock it in place, essentially turning it into a single action brush as a neat option. The needle chucking guide is the only part of the brush that is plastic but is well made and precise to such a degree that there is zero play when assembled. I also like it as there is no risk of damaging your needle upon reinserting it after cleaning! What makes this one truly unique is that instead of the twin nozzle caps we are used to, you have a single free floating nozzle cap that as you tighten it becomes a MAC valve! Talk about neat as hell. LOL As for pics, I intend to take care of this in the next few days after I get it dialed in as I have already replaced the needle tension spring as the stock one was way too stiff. The air valve is compatible with Paasche and use a corresponding quick connect.
    Regards,
    Chris the cabbie