Brown liquid in moisture traps

C

Chela

image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi,
I just bought a used Iwata Studio Series Power Jet Pro Air Compressor online. I just received it and it's running fine but I noticed right away there was liquid in the moisture traps and a brown substance. I released pressure from the tank and the brown substance blew out from there as well. Since this was shipped to me is it oil and moisture shaken from the tank, rust, or another issue? Please help as I am fairly new and hoping for the best for my new machine. Thank you

Hmmm... stranger danger... who are you... where are you from... How about you pop along to the introductions section and let us know a little more about yourself... I mean we hardly know each other and... well, you know... this thing can be kinda awkward...:) Here is the link http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/ also check out the nettiquette... http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/introducing-netiquette.8799/

Brown is likely to be rust from the tank, seems to be a lot of moisture. I'd recommend giving the traps a good clean out and make sure the reservoir is empty of both air and water.... after saying hi... :) Look forward to getting to know you better.

Hi Mark!
I'm Chela. :)Sorry for no introduction. Hope I didn't offend you. I'm an artist, I'm awkward.

Anyway, thanks for the quick feedback. I was hoping it wasn't rust but that seems likely to me too. Would that be a indication that the compressor is rusted out and unusable? Like I said I just bought it and thinking about returning it as I am still able to for 30 days.

Oh dear a used
Hi Mark!
I'm Chela. :)Sorry for no introduction. Hope I didn't offend you. I'm an artist, I'm awkward.

Anyway, thanks for the quick feedback. I was hoping it wasn't rust but that seems likely to me too. Would that be a indication that the compressor is rusted out and unusable? Like I said I just bought it and thinking about returning it as I am still able to for 30 days.
Hi chela what kind of price did you pay? and I would clean out the traps and run it and see if it happens again to the same amount take it back if its clean your probably ok,but me I would take it back.

Not a problem... we get that a lot here... :) Maybe, it is certainly a sign the owner hasn't been careful with it, probably not draining it at all. You can see the residue at the pressure release as well. If it were mine I would let them know what has happened, especially if they didn't show you that in the first place and ask it's history. I wonder if the moisture traps even need replacing. How old is it? The compressor itself is likely OK but it's the pressure tank that is the problem. It sounds like the filters are still operating but that residue needs to be removed otherwise it will carry on corroding components in the moisture traps. You can't really see inside the pressure container which will be the source of the rust. See if you can find that other stuff out and we can go form there.

It was an eBay purchase for $300. The seller did offer a 30 day money back guarantee so that's why I went with it. I will have to read a tutorial to learn how to clean this baby out as I am unfamiliar with it. I have used cheap airbrushes in the past but never encountered a problem like this. I really appreciate the feedback. You guys are awesome.

Hmmmm, what do they retail for over there? Are you in the US? They're about $1200NZ over here

I found one new cheapest for $470 US dollars. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks. Thanks for the manual! I will shine this thing up and show it some love.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found one new cheapest for $470 US dollars. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks. Thanks for the manual! I will shine this thing up and show it some love.
Cool, then post the post pictures (and come say a real hi... :) ) We want to see why you got such a purdy compressor...

I too would say rust/water in the tank and water trap,a good cleaning or replacement of the trap and draining the tanks of water(ALSO Check the hose for water/rust)

I would agree that it's more than likely rust in the tank as well. Looks like whoever had it before you never drain their tank, and there's more than like still moisture in the tank that needs drained!
I know others who have put CLR in the tank to get the brown rust out so it won't affect your project! I've never done it personally as I've always drained my tanks but it may work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That much rust in that size tank???? I would be inclined to return it. Especially if those filters were clean before you fired it up. It must have been very full, and who knows for how long. You could flush it out though, and if you manage to get it all out could be perfectly fine as long as you empty it out regularly. But there would always be a doubt in my mind about its integrity, while tanks are very thick walled and its unlikely to have become too thin, it obviously hasn't been well maintained, and with a 30 day money back guarantee, personally for peace of mind, I wouldn't keep it.

oh and I forgot to mention I have used a Iwata studio pro for over 7 years but never had that much water in the moister traps if any it wasnt more than a few drops at most so something is seriously wrong with the one you have there

I bet you empty your tank regularly though Ronald and keep an eye on it. I think the previous owner has never emptied this. Or at least never emptied it after the last use, and left it sitting around for who knows how long after. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.

Send it straight back with photos.....it's buggered. Even if that water was clear,as already mentioned the traps are meant to collect a few drips over time....not an Oz in 1 use

I bet you empty your tank regularly though Ronald and keep an eye on it. I think the previous owner has never emptied this. Or at least never emptied it after the last use, and left it sitting around for who knows how long after. I wouldn't feel comfortable with it.
I may have forgotten to empty/drain the tank once or twice over the years but yes I did maintain my compressor and emptied it every few weeks , the last few times I did that the water wasnt real clear as it should be and shortly after that the compressor sort off died on my it would still run and build up pressure but could not keep up with my airbrush anymore and I scrapped it for parts and ditched the rest

I dont maintain my compressors nearly as well as i should, and my traps still are clear. Even with fairly heavy use in a very high humidity zone. That thing had to run a lot with water in it to look like that.

Back