Brown. ?

Mixing both white and black with your colors will result in things getting Muddy.

I agree with Mac, Cobalt blue is close enough to a primary to use.
Brown's are a pita. I recall having tons of problems early on.
But look at a multi color color wheel.. Pick your shade you need.
We talked about pulling colors.

Best to take the red blue and yellow and make a blended color wheel.
Mitch has a video on doing it.
At that point your moving hue.

Remember hue is the base color
Shade is adding black
Tint is adding white
Tones adding grey.

Now we like not adding black and white when possible.. So most of us airbrush guys like using opposite.

If your brown is too red... The tiniest amount of green will shift the color back. I like to think in terms of pulling the colors.. But another way is thinking of killing a color. (green kills the red)
Jgardn has a great post on mixing colors.

And if it were not enough... Understanding the paint you are using comes into play.
Some pigments are very strong, others not as strong. Blues in the wicked line I know are very pigment heavy. In the com art lines the blues are very weak.

Mixing both white and black with your colors will result in things getting Muddy.

I agree with Mac, Cobalt blue is close enough to a primary to use.
Brown's are a pita. I recall having tons of problems early on.
But look at a multi color color wheel.. Pick your shade you need.
We talked about pulling colors.

Best to take the red blue and yellow and make a blended color wheel.
Mitch has a video on doing it.
At that point your moving hue.

Remember hue is the base color
Shade is adding black
Tint is adding white
Tones adding grey.

Now we like not adding black and white when possible.. So most of us airbrush guys like using opposite.

If your brown is too red... The tiniest amount of green will shift the color back. I like to think in terms of pulling the colors.. But another way is thinking of killing a color. (green kills the red)
Jgardn has a great post on mixing colors.
Its starting to click now nada. Im better with practical than theory so i can read something over and over and it wont sink in, but if i have a go then come back and read again i start to get it.
After mixing colours all morning this post makes sense entirely

So ive managed to mix some nice browns.
I went down andreaZA s route and added black to orange then white to lighten.
Ive posted the results.
I went on and experimented more and was suprised at how the colours changed in the second pic.
Im grasping the colour wheel now as well....ha ha its only taken a year!
I also mixed loads of other combinations, most of which turned out a type of grey.
Used the auto air trans colours to overlay colours and was pleasently surprised. Transparents are truly magical but i think i should get a good grasp of opaques first.
I feel a bit more confident about attempting mixing now and can probobaly avoid mixing grey....unless i need it.

Attachments

• 20170126_130146.jpg
    20170126_130146.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20170126_130226.jpg
    20170126_130226.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 17
  • color_wheel_730.png
    color_wheel_730.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 17
for that bug I used yellow and blue to make the green , I added red to get the brown and I used yellow to warm that brown up and get a more golden brown .
besides the primary colors I used black for the background and darker parts
on a side note I have to say the paint I used was Etac EFX

Rick, when you have trained your eye (brain interpretation ). you olny see greys and browns with other hues aliases, at least i have learnt this.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Rick, when you have trained your eye (brain interpretation ). you olny see greys and browns with other hues aliases, at least i have learnt this.

I know what your saying frowan ive managed to make brown with a red hue and brown with a yellow/green hue today. Also a couple of " greys " that were really olive and slight red.
I would have just called them brown or grey before today.
I still cant get brown fom green and red though!

I should use or chose a midtone that mach and over them with super transparent paint as glazing tint the part, this process takes a lot of layers but worth it. With yellows or blue/violets or gray pynes get up an down variation, but always super thinned coats. It is my way to face it. There are a lot of roads to go Roma.
Sorry for my hard english

The only trans paint i have is auto air which i bought by accident so i havent really used it.
I had a little play with it today and it amazed me lol. I sprayed a block of yellow and then used different shades of red to make different oranges.
Im sure over time it will click with me, i learned a lot today and feel a lot more confident, with brown at least.
Ive been using wicked today and i found that easier to mix than the illustration, although before i packed up i was mixing browns with small quantities if it.
Your english is better than some of my mates by the way. Ha ha

I know what your saying frowan ive managed to make brown with a red hue and brown with a yellow/green hue today. Also a couple of " greys " that were really olive and slight red.
I would have just called them brown or grey before today.
I still cant get brown fom green and red though!

Forget about getting brown from green and red, I can't for the life of me think why people keep telling you that green and red make brown, green isn't a primary colour, it is mixed using yellow and blue, your problems begin when the green you use was mixed out a yellow or blue that wasn't a primary because you won't get brown you seek and adding anything else to them will make them behave unexpectedly, not mention that you would be restricted to the percentage of drops of each used to produce the green in the first place, by using proper primaries of red, yellow and blue you have total control over what happens once you get the hang of it, if you mix say canary yellow, crimson red and air force blue you would end up with with something resembling mud.

The reason you were able to get a brown by adding orange to black, bearing in mind orange is red and yellow, is because in airbrush paints the black is made up of the colours used in printer inks, i.e. Cyan, Magenta and yellow, Cyan is very overpowering in the mix but when you mix all three you end up with black instead of brown as with the true primaries, this is why your colour printer inks diminish even when you print in black and white, your printer uses both your black cartridge and your colour ones, the fact that the blue is overpowering is also the reason we get the dreaded blue shift when we go over black with white, but as I mentioned, the addition of orange, or as I like to call it, yellow and red counteracts this unwanted event because the the blue consequently becomes less overpowering.

Here's is a little trick for you to try out just for fun, the colour wheel you showed above, print out a copy of it, attach it to a drill or an electric eraser and let it spin, doesn't need to be really fast, if you try to look at the colours while it spins you will see only white:)

Illustration orange and black

99d32062894ffd7efe0442b2ce611a18.jpg

Forget about getting brown from green and red, I can't for the life of me think why people keep telling you that green and red make brown, green isn't a primary colour, it is mixed using yellow and blue, your problems begin when the green you use was mixed out a yellow or blue that wasn't a primary because you won't get brown you seek and adding anything else to them will make them behave unexpectedly, not mention that you would be restricted to the percentage of drops of each used to produce the green in the first place, by using proper primaries of red, yellow and blue you have total control over what happens once you get the hang of it, if you mix say canary yellow, crimson red and air force blue you would end up with with something resembling mud.

The reason you were able to get a brown by adding orange to black, bearing in mind orange is red and yellow, is because in airbrush paints the black is made up of the colours used in printer inks, i.e. Cyan, Magenta and yellow, Cyan is very overpowering in the mix but when you mix all three you end up with black instead of brown as with the true primaries, this is why your colour printer inks diminish even when you print in black and white, your printer uses both your black cartridge and your colour ones, the fact that the blue is overpowering is also the reason we get the dreaded blue shift when we go over black with white, but as I mentioned, the addition of orange, or as I like to call it, yellow and red counteracts this unwanted event because the the blue consequently becomes less overpowering.

Here's is a little trick for you to try out just for fun, the colour wheel you showed above, print out a copy of it, attach it to a drill or an electric eraser and let it spin, doesn't need to be really fast, if you try to look at the colours while it spins you will see only white:)
I get this as i was reading some information regarding colour as light.
If you overlay rgb you get white.
I should know this as im aware that when light is refracted through a prism you get the colours of the spectrum.
There loads of evidence in the skies of rainy manchester where i live in the form of rainbows ha ha

After mixing different paints for most of the day thought id share a pic of a condition ive developed......mixinginthecupwithnolidonitis:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20170126_131011.jpg
    20170126_131011.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 21
After mixing different paints for most of the day thought id share a pic of a condition ive developed......mixinginthecupwithnolidonitis:rolleyes:

WTF ave you done to your finger nails?, if the rest of your fingers look like that thumb I think you might have trouble keeping your nose clean:confused::)

WTF ave you done to your finger nails?, if the rest of your fingers look like that thumb I think you might have trouble keeping your nose clean:confused::)
Ha ha i dont know any different ive been biting my nails since i was a nipper:confused:
Ive tried everything, stuff you paint on that tastes awful, plasters etc.
The only thing that i think would stop me is covering them in:poo:lol
I dont even know im doing it most of the time!
I used to bite my toenails when i was much younger.
I can still pick my hooter.

Back