California Airtool users

W

wmlepage

Just got my new compressor. 2510 model. It's not a true CAT,it was a scratched and dented model off EBay,but it's the same color and just missing the sticker. It's fairly quiet . But it has a biting electrical odor when running. Anyone else have this when their compressor was new? Just hoping it's burning in the coatings . It's not excessively running and doesn't seem to get that hot.

Are familiar with the ozone odour you get with electrics sometimes? Maybe metallic in smell, or is this more like a smoke/hot smell?

Carry on using it, the smell gets less and eventually subsides after a while, any new electrical item or those that sat without use for a long time will produce such a smell, it burns itself off, if there is no evidence of overheating and no visible signs of anything out of the ordinary, there's no need to worry.

You can use an extension cable with overload trip function if your unsure.

My own compressor smelled for weeks after it was new.

Thanks MB. I am pretty sure that's what it is. Just had not had this happen with an air compressor.

Thanks MB. I am pretty sure that's what it is. Just had not had this happen with an air compressor.

No problem, anything with a motor or heating elements will do this if it has been unused for a long time, whether it's new or old, we even had a new vacuum cleaner do it, that lasted about six weeks but it's only used twice per week.

It was just unexpected. I haven't had anything do this in quite a while. Kept thinking it was burning up.

It was just unexpected. I haven't had anything do this in quite a while. Kept thinking it was burning up.
If it does catch on fire and you have urothanes in the airbrush don't try to spray it on it to put it out. I actually used to use my airbrush to get fires going in my fireplace at my parents. My easel was set up close to it lol

If it does catch on fire and you have urothanes in the airbrush don't try to spray it on it to put it out. I actually used to use my airbrush to get fires going in my fireplace at my parents. My easel was set up close to it lol
Lol! It does sit right next to the cabinet withy limited HOK supply and other flammable paints.

Back