For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

Can i use auto air paints?

Discussion in 'Pinstriping' started by NikkiV, Nov 24, 2016.

1. NikkiV

NikkiV Young Tutorling

Looking into pinstriping and wondering if i can use auto air colours to pinstripe? From what I've read im thinking not but i dont really want to buy 1 shot at this point. super tight budget atm.
    Also if i can use AA do i still oil the brush? would the oil left in the brush not affect the water based paints?
    Have searched previous posts and couldn't find anything on this. sorry if its already answered.
  2. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

I'm guessing as its water based and oil and water don't mix it might not be great. I've never tried to pinstripe with airbrush paint, I suppose any paint will work with a brush, but whether paint will load up well enough to pull a proper smooth clean line I don't know, maybe shorter lines, not sure about pulling a long one. I would do some tests. And unlike one shot it will need clearing - just something to consider.
    NikkiV likes this.
  3. NikkiV

NikkiV Young Tutorling

Thanks squishy. i was wanting to outline lettering and do a pinstripe design on a trailer which will be clear coated anyway so i think i will give it a go. will do a few test panels though.
    If i cant oil the brush, do i just make sure it is super clean before storing? i would hate wreck it if I'm meant to oil it.
  4. markjthomson

markjthomson Very happy! Staff Member Mod

Spraying paints and brushing paints are very different animals. It is likely to be difficult to work and not flow easily.
    NikkiV likes this.
  5. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Water based paint will wash out really well, so I'm guessing as long as its properly clean and dry you should be able to oil it after. If its a new brush make sure it has a good clean first.

If this is something you are interested in though it might be worth waiting a while until you can get a small pot of one shot. There's a bit of a learning curve to getting the flow and drag of the paint just right, as well as perfecting technique, so would be better to start with the proper kit, than have to relearn or change things later.
    musicmacd and NikkiV like this.
  6. markjthomson

If not one shot a good quality enamel paint should be OK. One shot is designed for painters and is really heavy pigment hence the name, they don't have to go over their painting. If you can't get one shot look for a good quality brushing enamel.
    NikkiV likes this.
  7. markjthomson

NikkiV likes this.
  8. NikkiV

NikkiV Young Tutorling

Thanks everyone. I think I'll wait and get an enamel to use. Will practice with i have for now but as for the actual project i will use enamel.
    Appreciate your time!
    markjthomson likes this.
  9. musicmacd

musicmacd Air-Valve Autobot! Very Likeable!

House of kolor do pin stripping paint too!
    markjthomson and NikkiV like this.
  10. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

I've tried with AutoAir paints and failed miserably, they are horrible to stripe with and are way too thin. 1 Shot or HOK striping paint are best, enamel is good too or you could try gloss household paints, theyre not too bad.

Lee
    NikkiV likes this.