Can you help me to spread the products on denim shirts please?

F

fiddleman

Hello guys :)
a friend of mine asked me if I do the airbrushing of his totally black logo on four shirts made in denim. Their color is light blue.
Here what I bought from an online shop:

• Textile Colours Medea opaque black color,
  • Textile Colours Medea denim base,
  • Textile Colours Medea top coat.

Now you may help me to spread the products please?
Thank you in advance :)

I've never worked with these textile paints, but I do know that you need to wash, dry, and iron the shirts before you start painting them. Any sizing, etc. that is in the shirt from the factory will act as a resist and prevent the paint from sticking well. (could wash out or fade as a result). I don't know what a "top coat" would be used for, but does this paint require a textile medium to be mixed in prior to reducing? (some do) Also, I'd certainly practice on an old piece of denim before I jumped in to the real project. (but that's just me....'cause I'm a big ol' chicken. ;-) )

Mainly Createx is great for anything textile, As Fire Brush has stated you do want to pre-wash and dry the shirts , Ironing makes it nice to paint but you want to stretch it over a board to divide the front form the back so not always needed. Top coat , I have used it a few time on book bags for the kids , Due to it helps , But Heat setting the paint after you are finished is a must.
Denim base ?? Might want to do a test piece to see if after washing the denim base is not too blue.
It the logo is something you can scan and print and cut into a stencil it will save you time . If not make sure you copy each of them exactly so they match .

I've never worked with these textile paints, but I do know that you need to wash, dry, and iron the shirts before you start painting them. Any sizing, etc. that is in the shirt from the factory will act as a resist and prevent the paint from sticking well. (could wash out or fade as a result). I don't know what a "top coat" would be used for, but does this paint require a textile medium to be mixed in prior to reducing? (some do) Also, I'd certainly practice on an old piece of denim before I jumped in to the real project. (but that's just me....'cause I'm a big ol' chicken. ;-) )

Thank you.
Well yes, I would try first of acting directly on the shirts ... You know, I'm never sure, I'm always afraid of getting something wrong ;)

Mainly Createx is great for anything textile, As Fire Brush has stated you do want to pre-wash and dry the shirts , Ironing makes it nice to paint but you want to stretch it over a board to divide the front form the back so not always needed. Top coat , I have used it a few time on book bags for the kids , Due to it helps , But Heat setting the paint after you are finished is a must.
Denim base ?? Might want to do a test piece to see if after washing the denim base is not too blue.
It the logo is something you can scan and print and cut into a stencil it will save you time . If not make sure you copy each of them exactly so they match .

Thank you.
In fact I'm already doing the masks :)

Thought of something else: If the denim is 100% cotton, you might find it to be quite absorbant by nature. Meaning, a single coat of dark blue or even black may just fade right into the shirt, depending on the thinning of the media. I have no experience with the Medea textile paints, just paints designed for block printing. But, that's what made me think of this potential problem. Block printing paints are very thick, yet they will soak right into a woven cotton (vs a knit cotton). You may have to spray multiple layers to get a good base color...

Hello guys :)
I am here today to tell you how I solved the uncertainty of how to use colors on fabrics.
I made three different tests on a white tshirt and I comment on that now.

First thing to do is wash the fabric so the primer will go away and let dry.
After that I made three different tests with three different methods.

In the first I used Medea Textile Colours opaque black and I fixed it stretching the back of the fabric.
Then I added the Top Coat Medea Textile Colours and I fixed it stretching the back of the fabric.

In the second test, I used Denim Base Medea Textile Colours as a primer, I let it dry and then I did the previous process.
I noticed however, that during the ironing the Denim Base turns yellow.

In the third test, I used another brand of color, is called Pebeo Setacolor Transparent (recommended for light colored fabrics) nr°19 and then I fixed the iron on the back. Then I added Top Coat Medea Textile Colours and I fixed it stretching the back of the fabric.

I waited three days and then I washed the t-shirt in the washing machine at 30°C (programa delicates) and I noticed the differences.

The first test is fine, but tends to fade a little and you see the lint tissue.

The second test I dislike because it remains a soft glow of the primer (not yellow, but it seems like a light white print on tshirt).

The third is the one I liked best because black is remained load and not seems to have been washed. :D :cool: ;)

yaaay! I've never had much to do with textile paints but if i do in the future then i'll be sure to review what you've done here :)

I know nothing about textile airbrushing but want to learn.
I don't understand why you would need to wash the garment first, I have seen t shirts done by airbrushing (twice),screen printing and dye sub and not come across this before.
I fully understand doing a pre-press on textiles, it is done to get rid of any moisture in the garment.
fiddleman, Did you heat seal the painted area in all three tests please or just the last two?

I know nothing about textile airbrushing but want to learn.
I don't understand why you would need to wash the garment first, I have seen t shirts done by airbrushing (twice),screen printing and dye sub and not come across this before.
I fully understand doing a pre-press on textiles, it is done to get rid of any moisture in the garment.
fiddleman, Did you heat seal the painted area in all three tests please or just the last two?

Washing before hand is to remove any loose fibres or threads, and to make sure that any other stuff which the fibres contain don't mix with or corrupt your work or paint.

There are all kinds of unseen chemicals and substances in garments which although it is nor guaranteed could effect the behaviour of your paint or cause it fall off during a wash cycle.

It's maybe not always necessary , but better done just to be sure, years ago I painted a house just less than a mile from a biscuit factory in England and it took 3 days for paint to dry just because of the grease in the air at that time, it better to be safe than sorry, especially if you going to be paid, you wouldn't want to de nice t-shirt for someone and then have call you to say there's no picture any more, and even worse they tell all there friends, that's what people do.

Thanks for that mate, so why don't people doing textile printing for a living do the same thing, both me and my grandson had airbrushed t shirts made and neither were washed first. HIs came from the booth and mine from a supermarket.

Thanks for that mate, so why don't people doing textile printing for a living do the same thing, both me and my grandson had airbrushed t shirts made and neither were washed first. HIs came from the booth and mine from a supermarket.

That's because the guy in america new you wouldn't be brining it back in a hurry and the supermarket couldn't care less, and if the supermarket did wash your t-shirts, what's to stop you bringing your undies along? lol

A lot booths and companies printing t-shirts buy them in pre-washed and ready to print, just because you didn't see it happen doesn't mean it didn't happen, it just means it didn't happen while you were there, however that's not say that some vendors will skimp on the quality to make or save more money.

I checked out a company website here over ordering boxes of shirts and they offer 2 prices for plane shirts, washed or unwashed, the same company offered them printed with your own logo and stated clearly that these are indeed pre-washed.

Thanks for that Madbrush, I will factor that in to my plans.

Thanks for that Madbrush, I will factor that in to my plans.

No problem mate, I'll stop your business going under in the first week even if you don't, lol

But nothing if free in this world so I want a free shirt (washed of course) and don't copy Mitch's shirts, I already have one, maybe a photo of Ranhalen's mother, 2 even back and front.

No problem mate, I'll stop your business going under in the first week even if you don't, lol

But nothing if free in this world so I want a free shirt (washed of course) and don't copy Mitch's shirts, I already have one, maybe a photo of Ranhalen's mother, 2 even back and front.
Can ye post a pic of Mitchs T'shirt,
Once I have mentally worked out registration, I reckon rans mom front on front and back on back might be a winner :-0

Can ye post a pic of Mitchs T'shirt,
Once I have mentally worked out registration, I reckon rans mom front on front and back on back might be a winner :-0

It's the same one he's wearing in the cleaning an airbrush video and some of the others, on the back is the logo you see at the top of this page.

And why do want a pic of Mitch's shirt, I hope your not doing something fishy or untoward, if you do Mitch will come straight over there a slap the bottom half your right leg, so watch out mate.

P.S. I've decided to give up airbrushing and go to third world countries since I've invented a machine that produces clean drinking water out of thin air, this is an amazing discovery and I ask you not to tell anyone about it till I get patented (yes I said patented and not painted).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm always afraid of getting something wrong<-- dont be... thats the way you lern the most XD i test atm alot whit different papers and colors .. and look sometimes like a color wheel in human form hahaha anyway i think next month i start too trying to work on shirts XD its a lot of fun self when you do errors hehe im totaly fascinated from lettering .. mybe.. this vids are something for you fiddle :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InUui4QNMW0&feature=relmfu

can someone tell me what airbrush he use? itawa eclips bottom-feed?

Back