Candy colors swimming up

John742

Double Actioner
I'm using house of kolor paint and I'm having a problem with my kandies swimming up after clear coat.
Of course my Kandys are mixed with intercoat clear to help lock them down for my tape outs.
Should I add a little extra intercoat clear in between kandies or what?
Also it happens the worse with white highlights on top of Kandy or Kandy Koncentrates.
You can't really see it too good in the picture but the white highlights on his shorts for example is turning tangerine now after clear coating. Any body know how to prevent this?
IMG_20161013_162930.jpg

The technical term for this is "bleeding". The clear reactivates the candy (and paint) making the candy react with the paints on top of it and "blending/mixing" with it.

Depending on what you are doing this is something you want (flames as it makes for beautifull blends) or want to prevent (anything else :p)

To prevent it it is often adviced to put a layer of intercoat on top of the candy to lock it down. Intercoat being just paint without pigment though will react just the same to clear and in my experience doesn't guarantee to stop the bleeding effect (it will make it less as it's another layer between the candy and paint that it needs to bleed through). The only way to completely stop it is a layer of clearcoat between the candy and paint.

As for the white a nice trick is to use a water based white. This will not react to clearcoat or mix with the urethane (HOK) and thus there will be no bleeding. Remember, water based on top of a urethane is no problem, don't put a urethane on a waterbased though as this can cause problems. So alsways do this as the very last layer before clear.

The technical term for this is "bleeding". The clear reactivates the candy (and paint) making the candy react with the paints on top of it and "blending/mixing" with it.

Depending on what you are doing this is something you want (flames as it makes for beautifull blends) or want to prevent (anything else :p)

To prevent it it is often adviced to put a layer of intercoat on top of the candy to lock it down. Intercoat being just paint without pigment though will react just the same to clear and in my experience doesn't guarantee to stop the bleeding effect (it will make it less as it's another layer between the candy and paint that it needs to bleed through). The only way to completely stop it is a layer of clearcoat between the candy and paint.

As for the white a nice trick is to use a water based white. This will not react to clearcoat or mix with the urethane (HOK) and thus there will be no bleeding. Remember, water based on top of a urethane is no problem, don't put a urethane on a waterbased though as this can cause problems. So alsways do this as the very last layer before clear.
Yes, exactly what's happening thanks for the advice. I already mix intercoat clear in with my kandies, but next time I think I'm going to add a few extra drops to my mix as well as an putting an entire coat of just intercoat over the whole thing. Also coat of just intercoat in between each layer of kandy. Couldn't hurt for depth as well right? Lol

Yes, exactly what's happening thanks for the advice. I already mix intercoat clear in with my kandies, but next time I think I'm going to add a few extra drops to my mix as well as an putting an entire coat of just intercoat over the whole thing. Also coat of just intercoat in between each layer of kandy. Couldn't hurt for depth as well right? Lol

Some of the HOK candy comes ready to spray, most of the time it's just candy concentrate. If you spray that you are just spraying wet dust so the intercoat is needed to make it "adhesive (actual paint)". Adding more intercoat to it will just make it more transparant which in turn will force you to build up thicker layers, add another layer on top of that to prevent bleeding and it will become a lot of paint (so not advisable when using masking).

The bleeding is something you can use as it makes for great blends and color transitions, you just need to test a bit and get used to the paint (figuring out what it does when). all part of the learning process :)

I was taught the rule of thumb is after all your layers are finished and your tape is off give it at least 2 light coats of intercoat clear to give it a lock barrier . Then make sure you first coat of clear is just a dust coat this aids in the total locking of anything underneath .
Dry times prior to clearing is also important. If the under coats are not 100% set it will bleed.
AndreZA actually David Monnig and Craig Fraser found out you want to seal the candy layers with Transbase vs. the intercoat clear to prevent bleeding. when using the new Candyo2 http://www.coastairbrushtv.com/Auto-Air-Candy2o-Colors_p_134.html

As Micron said, I just dust coat it for the first couple clear passes, seems to help, have never used intercoats for locking as such besides to add depth or to protect it in between sessions if I know its gonna sit for a bit which has also prob helped without knowing it :)

What everyone said but also make sure that the candy layer is totally flashed off and dry so that there is no solvent left to evaporate and then when you clear over the solvent doesnt try to escape and cause the bleeding.

Lee

Yea after a lot of experimentation on panels I think it was due to my impatience. I don't think I gave all that Kandy long enough to dry. After letting it sit for a couple days after intercoat I scuffed the intercoat and cleared it with no bleeding this time.
So i took it straight to the tank, let it sit for days, then cleared and came out pretty good no bleeding anymore!
When I was having bleeding I had let it dry for 24 hours so I didn't think that was the problem but i suppose that was a lot of kandy layers I laid..
Thanks guys for all your help, I know I'm constantly pounding you guys with newbie questions.

Any time John, thats why we are all here in this forum and why this forum is so good. Funny i was only discussing candy bleed with one of my buddies on Saturday, he had the same issue and we sorted it out after a discussion. He let it dry for longer and no problems. Hence why I dropped the post in.

Lee

Back